April 2012 Weddings

DIY Invitations

Just curious if any brides have started to make DIY invitations and if so can you please share pictures and information about them. I am debating whether to make or buy.
Photobucket

Re: DIY Invitations

• I havent started yet but mine will be DIY. I will be making pocketfold invites which typically are not the cheapest to buy. They will have inserts and a belly band. Im attaching a pic of my inspiration since I havent started making mine yet. These were made by fellow knottie tgoff248.

Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • I'll be starting mine by June.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am planning on making mine as well.  I want to do the pocket fold like @mybestfriend4ever.  I will probably start mine this summer/fall.
  • I will be starting mine in June as well.  My Inspiration:

My mom hates pocketfolds, so I am going with a compromise :P  They will be:

Pocket folder - Black
    Invitation: Matted on Black/White Damask and clover green.  Invite itself is crystal (shimmery white)
    RSVP - Crystal white card with a clover green envelope.  Envelope will have damask liner
    Reception/Map card: Crystal white matted on damask and green
    Website/Photoshare cards - Crystal White

The front will have our monogram on crystal white, matted on clover

• I want to DIY my invititations as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jash009jash009 member
    First Comment
    Does buying the DIY kit from Michaels count!?  LOL.  Seriously, I admire all of you ladies that are doing so much DIY stuff.  It adds such a personal touch to your day! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all for sharing. Please keep me posted with how they go and look. I kind of want to do my own to save a little money, but I'm so scared to screw them up or the printing be smeared or something. I heard you can get them printed at a place like Kinkos/ FedEX professional copier though. Does anyone know about this?

Photobucket
  • If you design them and submit the file, they definitely print them :)

• I want to buy my invitations designs from Sarah... here's her website

http://signaturebysarahdesigns.blogspot.com/

and do pocketfolds, is still very expensive... cheaper than buying them but certainly way over my budget...

i have been comparing prices, and so far I like the pocketfolds from cardsandpockets.com

So I might still buy the design from Sarah  (just waiting for her to take new orders) and then print them online on Vistaprint.com

Maybe I'll buy a couple of pocket folds just for my family members and bridal party, and then the rest just a flat invite... Im still comparing prices and trying to get the best deal.....
    April 2012 October siggy challenge Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like the pocket look but I'm debating too with the cost. Also one of my friends who recently got married and had the pocket invites had to use 2-3 (60 cent stamps) on the envelopes since they were so thick and heavy. This is another concern of mine.  Thanks for sharing information about those websites. I'll be continuing to price around and get ideas.

Photobucket
  • Alright ladies...

I made all of my invitations (and they were mailed out last week Laughing) I haven't taken a picture of them *yet* but I have received a lot of compliments on them already. I did the signature pocketfold from Cards and Pockets with 4 inserts (including the rsvp card). The main body is a picture of the church that we are getting married at and then I did velum on top of that with the wording and secured both pieces with a minature brad (bought from Oriental trading). I did a belly band around the pocketfold with a square "monogram" type of piece in the middle. For the addresses on the front of the envelope, I did a wrap around mailing label. All of it was DIY including the designs. I wish that I can show pictures....maybe I'll take some tonight and post them.

By the way...I ordered 70 pocketfolds, 70 envelopes and 140 rsvp envelopes from Cards and Pockets and it came out to be about $57.00. And the weight on the bad boy required a $0.64 stamp and then I just used a "forever" stamp for the RSVP.
  • Hope you can share some pictures.

I just called our FedEx Kinkos printing store here and they told me that I can bring in my own card stock or paper, but they charge $.59 per color print or  $.12 per black and white.  That would be about $103 (for 175 invitations)  for them just to do the Invite, not counting the RSVP or map card or anything else. We are still looking at close to $400 for (175 invites) if i do the signatures by sarah design template, then buy the card stock and pocket invites and thats not counting map cards too. I'm starting to think my best bet might be to buy a DIY kit and maybe just do the printing in black and white with the pockets.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2012-weddings_diy-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:05427f07-4ba2-44d6-9271-99a7af1ee5c0Discussion:7e8093bf-9b24-423c-ae57-b39018a8c609Post:63572467-b989-41c4-ad84-8c491fe2ab91">Re: DIY Invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hope you can share some pictures. I just called our FedEx Kinkos printing store here and they told me that I can bring in my own card stock or paper, but they charge $.59 per color print or  $.12 per black and white.  That would be about $103 (for 175 invitations)  for them just to do the Invite, not counting the RSVP or map card or anything else. We are still looking at close to $400 for (175 invites) if i do the signatures by sarah design template, then buy the card stock and pocket invites and thats not counting map cards too. I'm starting to think my best bet might be to buy a DIY kit and maybe just do the printing in black and white with the pockets.
    Posted by MCCRARYSCOTT[/QUOTE]

Did you try checking into ma' and pa' type of printing companies rather than using a large (overpriced) printing vendor like Kinkos? And are you really going to have 350 + guests? WOW!
  • I just browsed through vistaprint.com and they have nice invites as well. You can get 10 invites for 9.99 and the inserts 10 for 7.99... it is expensive compared to those diy kits they sell at michaels but im sure the quaility is so much better.
    I just went to michaels yesterday and I didnt find any diy kits in navy blue :( 
    I too feel it would be a waste of money to spend 400 dollars on invites that most ppl wont even save. that's why I'm concidering doing something nice for the family and close friends, and maybe a cheaper version of the invite for the rest of the guest. Lucky I only have 130 guests....
    My next search will be Martha stewart's collection, hopefully I'll find something that I like...
  • Here are my invites (sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures. I should be ashamed of myself considering that I went to school for photography! Not to mention that I used my "sample" invite for the pictures so excuse the bent corners and such). Believe me when I say that they look 100% better in person. The color scheme is Sapphire Blue and Meadow/Fairway (the green in these pictures really do not pop out).

• We are planning to have 300 guests. I don't know if 300 will end up showing, but since we rented the entire banquet facility we are contracted to pay for at least 300 no matter what. I'm hoping i can get by with 175 invitations. I've looked on etsy and found a bunch of really cute ones i like. I requested samples from the crafters. They range from $1.50-$2.00 per invitation, RSVP and reception card and envelopes. I might go with these and maybe add a rhinestone or two on them to personalize them more. I'm hoping the samples look as good as they do online. I've already flipped through online catalogs and got samples from American Wedding, Davids Bridal and some others but I haven't been impressed yet. The only ones i kind of liked have been the Carlson Craft ones but they still didn't pop to me. I guess this is the problem with having a year engagement, So many choices.

Photobucket
  • Omg... Im so excited... My moh knows a manager at fedex kinkos, and she offered to print my invites for free as long as i provide her with the paper and of course the desing. This is means huge savings for me, and I get to have my pocketfold invitations :)   Im so happy!

I ordered the free sample kit from Vista print, and did not like it. :( 
  • I have had succes with the Gartner Studios kits that you can get at Target or Michaels for other events and received a lot of compliments, plus they are pretty easy to use.  We had originally picked out a design that we wanted to use (and if you sign up for emails from Michaels, you can grab them when you get a coupon.  The last one I got was for 40% off).  The only problem I have had is that I want EVERYTHING to match- STDs, Invites, Directions, RSVP's and TYs, and none of those kits have enough cards for everything.  We are currently using Invys.com to design and print our own, they have a lot of starter templates that you can customize fully, then you buy the pdf, which includes cutting/folding guides, and print them yourself.  We will save a pretty significant amount of money, even considering the cost of cardstock, ink, and envelopes, plus my colors will be perfectly coordinated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards