Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

NEED ADVICE WITH PHOTOGRAPHER

My father-in-law to be has graciously taken it upon himself to hire a photographer for us ( a guy he works with) that has supposedly done weddings and their family pictures.  The problem is that he didn't even ask us if it was ok to hire him.  We haven't seen any of his work and cannot find any information about his side business.  My family cannot afford to pay for the photographer and the only way my fiance's dad will pay is if we hire his friend.  I have asked for this guy's number to contact him regarding his portfolio and I get no response.  I would like to hire a different photographer, but am very hesitant because of the position that I am put in......what should I do?  When I approach my fiance he just says to talk to his father myself, but he is a very selfish and arrogant person who I cannot communicate with no matter how hard I try.

Re: NEED ADVICE WITH PHOTOGRAPHER

• Options
    blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, you are going to have to either communicate with him to see if there is any way he can either get his friend to respond to you or hire someone else or just hire your own photographer. can you afford to pay a photographer yourselves? I
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no matter how you slice it, it is your wedding and you have the say no matter who is paying. you should tell f-i-n that you demand to know the person who is taking your photos and what their work is like.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your FI needs to step up and handle this himself.  You should not have to confront your future FIL yourself.  And if it were me, I would have my FI say sorry, dad, but we've already chosen our own photographer and find a way to pay for it yourselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others, it's always a touchy subject when it comes to confronting future in-laws with stuff like this. 

I would definitely talk to your fiance and have him address the issue at hand.  There is a positive way to come across without hurting your soon to be FIL.  After all, it's not about being bratty or spoiled, it's about a once in a lifetime moment that you can not re-live if you don't get the right photos.

I have talked to TOO many brides that regret either not speaking up or going with a budget photographer that in the end, were substandard. 

If the co-worker was a true professional, he should understand where you guys are coming from.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards