Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Cleaning vs. Preservation

I've never posted on this board, so first off, hello! I figured someone here may be able to give me more info on this than on my local knot and nest boards (which I've tried already).

I was married last May, and had my dress cleaned only. My seamstress told me that satin (which is my dress material) doesn't need preserved, but more delicate fabrics like lace do. After reading some articles online about preservation though, I'm thinking about taking it back to the cleaners to get it preserved. It's either that, or purchase an acid-free box to store it in myself. Any opinions on this? I know most people get it preserved... it would probably be easier to just get it preserved, since they'd box it for me. But I don't want to preserve it if it's not necessary (plus it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a storage box).

There are pics of my gown in my bio- it's from David's Bridal. It's satin supposedly, but the tag actually says polyester and nylon. I'm not sure that I'll ever do anything with it, but I do want to keep it nice, just in case and for sentimental reasons.

TIA!

Re: Cleaning vs. Preservation

• I had mine cleaned and preserved using the Wedding Gown Preservation Co in NYC. At the time it was only $50 more than just having my gown cleaned, so I just went ahead and had it done.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • I got my cleaned and am making it into a quilt. I couldn't see the sense in having it sit in a box forever!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards