Wisconsin
Options

cash bar????????

So I have usually only been to wedding in Wisconsin that serve beer and soda for free and then have a cash bar. I myself never thought it was tacky to have a cash bar and just serve tap beer. In Wisconsin people drink more in general and the thought of having a cash bar is scary. Can other Wisconsin brides share their thoughts with me???????/

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cash bar????????

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a completely open bar.  I know that some people say that cash is okay, but I do not believe that!  I know that I just get annoyed if I pay for travel costs, wedding presents, then have to pull out my wallet again at the reception to pay for beverages.  If you can't afford to have a fully open bar, I would probably just have only beer, soda, and maybe one signature cocktail of your choice.  You could always just have fancy flavored lemonades or something with pretty garnishes which would cost less, but still have the "wow" factor as another option.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that it is fine. 

I do get annoyed when I have to pay for sodas/lemonade. 

We paid for sodas all night.  We hosted the bar up to a certain dollar amount.  That lasted until about 9 PM.  Some people host during cocktail hour and dinner and then it switches. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    gamblejl31gamblejl31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The majority of the weddings I have been to have an open bar for cocktail hour, then free beer, wine, and soda for the remaining part of the reception, with a cash bar as well.  I think this is the best option.  It allows free drinks if the guest want them, but if they choose to drink something else then they can have it, but have to pay for it.  I know as a guest to many weddings in the past few years, I like to have options.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh---this is my nightmare right now. 

We decided to have a bar tab up to a certain amount and when that ran out, it would be a cash bar.  We didn't go with a bar package because our friends are drinkers but our family is not so we felt a tab was the best route. 

Well, there is a 20% service charge on the bar tab (seperate from tax and gratuity) which greatly reduces the tab amount.  My fiance is frustrated and says we should just put a few people in charge, give them the cash and have them buy drinks up at the bar.  

Has anyone ever successfully negotiated a lower service charge on the bar tab only?  We could swallow 10% a lot easier...Or have any suggestions?  I've told him it is what it is but I see the point too....
  • Options
    jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are hosting beer and soda all night and a glass of wine or champagne with dinner.  Everything else is cash.  I can't think of a wedding I've been to that has been completly hosted.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kropee10kropee10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We have an hour and a half open bar for cocktail hour, then switching to free wine, soda and beer with a cash bar for the rest of the night. Our friends and family enjoy cocktails and we knew this was the best of both worlds. I have only been to one completely open bar wedding in WI and it was pretty messy; everyone took advantage of free booze and were ordering long islands and shots all night. If you think your crowd is more into one or two cocktails with dinner, you could do a signature drink(s) to offer for free....who doesn't love an old fashion?

FormerlyMsKrop
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_cash-bar-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:5795ab49-276e-491f-b8fd-ed349e41cfb9Post:ec32b35a-13ed-4ccc-be80-334f3a3e4187">Re: cash bar????????</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are hosting beer and soda all night and a glass of wine or champagne with dinner.  Everything else is cash.  I can't think of a wedding I've been to that has been completly hosted.
    Posted by jberg134[/QUOTE]

This.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

All the weddings I have gone to have always hosted at least beer for all the guest. I was worker at a wedding last summer and the bride and groom did not host anything, but had beer for the bridal party and champagne for themseleves. I heard a lot of guest rumbling that they had to go pay for beer. Since the reception was held at a bar, I think a lot of people thought there would be.

I would recommend having something free for the guest to drink.

• Options
    edited December 2011

We are hosting beer and soda for the entire night.  We will have up to a certain number bottle of wines available, but once they are gone, they're gone.  We'll also have champagne passed during cocktail hour.  It is beyond too expensive to host the hard liquor.  That would cost us over $12,000 for the select brands!!  No thank you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are planning to provide beer, wine and soda the entire night. it is a package and like mentioned before, it is a happy medium. we would go broke with a full host bar, but I DO think it is tacky not to AT LEAST have beer & soda. These are GUESTS. just my opinion.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing are own bar service, so we are doing open bar all night.  However, if we had selected a venue that we had to use their bar we either would have done beer and wine all night, with 1 hour for cockatails pre-dinner.  Then an option to purchase cocktails.  I personally think non-alcoholic drinks and beer and wine are nice to provide to your guests, but I would want the option to purchase a cocktail.
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We hosted beer, wine, soda and juice all night.  No hard liquor was available.  No complaints - most of our friends are beer and wine people anyways.  I didn't want people doing shots.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're not even offering hard liquor.  We're having our reception at a community center and we'll be providing unlimited beer and wine all night.  Soda of course too.  We're having a dessert reception, I don't think people need vodka or jack with sweets ;)  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards