Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

ring insurance

So me and FI decided we were going to get ring insurance, we weren't sure before but knowing it hardly costs anything definitely is what did it for us. But anyways so the problem at hand is we both don't have receipts for both of our rings! We didn't think to keep them. Well I may actually have a receipt for his but anyways he said he doesn't have one for mine, is there anyway we can get around it? We both purchased ours online so is it possible that something sent to his e-mail will help? And if not, what should we do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Til we wed!

Re: ring insurance

• Options
    Your jeweler will do an appraisal for you, which most insurance companies require anyway. It's not expensive. I would suggest only getting an appraisal from a jeweler who will do it in front of you.
  • Options
    I had my engagement ring appraised.  But I don't recommend going to your jeweler for the appraisal.  Since they know what you paid for it, they tend to appraise it for less.  I went to Jared's for my appraisal.  They bring in an independent appraiser once a month for the day to do them.   You sit there at the table with them while they appraise your ring and it never leaves your sight.  I do know that they price you pay for the appraisal depends on how intricately designed your ring is.  My ring is a solitaire and I paid like $100.  At least that's how Jared's does it.  Call around to jewelers in your area.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jcg23jcg23 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Thank you guys so much! I am glad I don't need receipts and that it's best not to have them. :) I have a sapphire as my engagement, now my FI got me a ring for my b-day would it be odd to get that appraised too and get it insured? It is still special to me. But I will look for an independent jeweler. I read an article on here that said to bring receipts to the appraisal. But the knot tends to give bad advice, lol. Glad I got imput first. But his ring was bought by me so I don't think we can add it to the homeowners policy since my name isn't on it anywhere. I know there are other ways to insure it, but other than using that what is the best way to insure it? The only insurance our names our both involved in is his car insurance btw.

EDIT: Found out his car insurance does have a policy for valuables(jewelry was listed) so I'll talk to him about it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-insurance-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:686e079b-aca9-499b-a45c-532977c21b42Post:ac692db0-47f7-4328-803a-36223b7c3ac2">Re:ring insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your jeweler will do an appraisal for you, which most insurance companies require anyway. It's not expensive. I would suggest only getting an appraisal from a jeweler who will do it in front of you.
    Posted by mjmichmosh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>agreed

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-insurance-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:686e079b-aca9-499b-a45c-532977c21b42Post:61208ccc-55e6-4a30-b26a-d6ec9f0a631a">Re: ring insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys so much! I am glad I don't need receipts and that it's best not to have them. :) I have a sapphire as my engagement, now my FI got me a ring for my b-day would it be odd to get that appraised too and get it insured? It is still special to me. But I will look for an independent jeweler. I read an article on here that said to bring receipts to the appraisal. But the knot tends to give bad advice, lol. Glad I got imput first. But his ring was bought by me so I don't think we can add it to the homeowners policy since my name isn't on it anywhere. I know there are other ways to insure it, but other than using that what is the best way to insure it? The only insurance our names our both involved in is his car insurance btw. EDIT: Found out his car insurance does have a policy for valuables(jewelry was listed) so I'll talk to him about it.
    Posted by jcg23[/QUOTE]

My homeowners insurance only covers up to $1000 of jewelry. I went through jewelers mutual and got my whole wedding ring (e ring and two wedding bands) insured for $39 a year. It covers pretty much everything, loss, theft, damage, etc.
  • Options
    Cool and I am looking at like 2 a year my jewelry isn't very expensive. Lol but I still don't want to have to rebuy it. Together they are worth about 300 or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards