Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Wrinkles/ fresh young face.

We're getting married in a year! Id like to start now on getting my face to look as young as possible, What is your regimen? What products are out there that ae not expensive that I can use?

Re: Wrinkles/ fresh young face.

• Options
    I second PP's suggestions; water, SPF and avoid sun.

I've found using Cetaphil (available at your local CVS/Walgreens/Target) cleanser and moisturizer has worked well for me - wash my face with their gentle facial cleanser morning and evening, and use their daily SPF 15 moisturizer in the morning and moisturizing cream at night.  I used to use all expensive brands (Dior, Boscia, Bliss, etc.), and can honestly say my skin has been better using the Cetaphil at approximately 15% of the price.

That said, I still make sure when I use makeup to use high quality primer and foundation and have found that to be worth it's weight in gold, as it STAYS PUT and looks like I'm actually not wearing anything.

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Well since I am over 40 and married a guy 5 years younger, this was very important to me as well.  :)

I use the Mary Kay Timewise line and have for years--but the main thing is to cleanse, moisturize and use sunscreen (I use a daily moisturizer with SPF 15).  (My daughter sees a dermatologist and he recommends Cetaphil for her.)  I also do microdermabrasion at home once a week.  2 months before my wedding, I got a glycolic peel.  2 weeks before the wedding, I cut out caffeine and salt.  I did my last microdermabrasion treatment at home a few days before the wedding.  I always drink lots of water and I really tried to get good sleep in the weeks leading up to the wedding.  I got a spray tan for the wedding--I have never set foot in a tanning bed.  I did use some other MK products, and the one that I really saw a difference with was a Vitamin C serum that I still use.  My skin really looked great on my wedding day so this is what worked for me.

If you are having your makeup professionally done, I highly recommend airbrush makeup.
  • Options
    I am young but I just started using Artisty Creme Lux and even on my 22 yr old skin it's made a difference! crazy. 
    We just stopped preventing January 2013! I use a tablet so please forgive my auto correct! :)
  • Options
    I use Aveeno moisturizing soapless bar(I have very sensitive skin) and Clinique Moisture Surge gel cream. I also drink tons of water and stay out of the sun.
  • Options
    i use a bunch of different products,but philosphy worked very well for me.  They have these kits that have all full sized products in them. It's a cleanser (purity made simple), a moisturizer (hope in a jar), an eye cream (hope in a tube) and an anti aging serum (when hope is not enough).  Depending on what type of skin you have, the hope in a jar changes.  The regular hope in a jar pills on my skin, but the hope in a jar for dry sensitive skin is awesome.  There's also hope in a bottle for oily skin.  That's good to start off.  I've since switched to another brand of cleanser (Kinerase) and another brand of eye cream (Hydrolyze)

I started using an eye cream when I was 22.. and people always ask me what high school I go to.  I'm 26.  I don't smoke.  I only drink occasionally, and I never ever tan.  I drink a lot of water, and I also do an at-home microdermabrasion.  Another philosophy product... the microdelivery peel.  And I use a Clarisonic.  I try to use it every day, but if I'm running behind or really tired, I just wash my face without it.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_wrinkles-fresh-young-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:082c120e-1a4e-464b-b105-7e19b3d6d2f7Post:be6d464b-473c-4e49-98a0-ad1dd2d7a78d">Re: Wrinkles/ fresh young face.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well since I am over 40 and married a guy 5 years younger, this was very important to me as well.  :)
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

No. Way. You're lying... you have to be! You look like you're in your early 30s. Amazing!
  • Options
    water, veggies and fruits. Artistry make up is amazing :o)
  • Options
    While I'm partial to Mary Kay products (I've used them for over 10 years), it is most important to start some sort of skin care regimen using the best product that fits in your budget.  Cleanser & moisturizer definitely - some cleansers offer the added benefit of freshner & exfoliation to keep it quick and easy.   I also recommend an eye cream to moisturize and fortify the delicate eye area & using foundation.  Foundation adds a layer of protection against dirt and can absorb oil (depending what you use).   I like to keep it simple so this is what I prefer.  And as stated above drinking water and spf are also super important. 

On a side note - what your hands and shoulder/decollete area look like also greatly impact how old you look.   It's probably why some people like to get a tan. While water & spf will help with this too, keeping these areas moisturized is a good idea.  And if needed there are products that can also help.
  • Options
    1st- Stephiehall omg?!? over 40 I had to like triple check that I read that right, you look amazing!! I remember when I look at your bio and said wow she is beautiful and I really thought you were in your 20's!!! ....(whatever she does I would do haha)

But really what the other ladies said, lots of water, stay out of the sun and put sunblock on everyday even if you are not going to "lay out" or be in the sun alot you still get exposer just walking to and from the car, house, store and so on....Vitamin C serums are also really great for anti-aging..... Good luck!
  • Options
    drink lots of water and green tea!  It's super cheap AND it works.  Make sure you get plenty of fluids - they vary what's good, but aim for that old fashioned 64 oz of water/green tea per day.  You'll notice a difference within a week (unless you're already doing it!)
    Also, don't skimp on fats.  Eat the good fats, though.  It sounds bad, but most everyone knows to do it for their pets so they have healthy coats.  It helps human's hair and skin, too.
    You don't need to spend money on expensive (or even discount!) creams or makeup!

Oh yea, I recommend not wearing makeup some days if you don't have to and giving your face a breather and make sure you wear the SPF.

Good luck!
    Oh, I'll pass this on b/c I find it hilarious.  I had a friend who used to say a topical application of bacon grease helped minimize the appearance of crows feet.  I'm not confirming the accuracy of that statement.
  • Options
    All of the basics: water, SPF, moisturize, good sleep, etc. The worst things for your face is sun and smoking.

I've used a variety of anti-aging products, and it's really just a personal choice. Right now I'm using Olay's new line. But really, as much as I'd like to believe otherwise, all anti-aging products do minimal changes, if any at all. See a dermatologist if you have difficult skin. They can also prescribe high grade Retinol, or Retin-A, which does minimize wrinkles. Personally the stuff is too harsh on my skin.

Now, there may be haters about this, but you can always have botox done. Make sure to do it a few months prior. Do your research and find someone who is very conservative with their treatment, and only do the areas you have an issue with, like forehead lines. Contrary to popular opinion, you should still be able to more the muscles in your face, it's just a little harder to do so.

Stop eating processed foods, and stop (or minimize) your aspertame (Equal) intake. My skin looked a lot better when I stopped my daily regimen of 2 diet cokes a day. Sugar (sadly) is bad for your complexion. As much as you hear about the dangers of sugar substitutes, sugar, in different ways can be just as bad. Sucks. I can't give up sugar, but an occasional treat I figure is ok.

Start getting monthly (or every eight weeks) professional facials. I get them regularly. I stopped for about 6 months, and really noticed a (bad) difference. Also, don't get a facial right before the wedding!!! do your last one about 2 weeks prior.

• Options
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_wrinkles-fresh-young-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:082c120e-1a4e-464b-b105-7e19b3d6d2f7Post:f01cf8da-7168-4ce2-8c86-8df3481157ec">Re: Wrinkles/ fresh young face.</a>:
    [QUOTE]1st- Stephiehall omg?!? over 40 I had to like triple check that I read that right, you look amazing!! I remember when I look at your bio and said wow she is beautiful and I really thought you were in your 20's!!! ....(whatever she does I would do haha)Posted by nicole1125[/QUOTE]

Aww, thanks!  I really attribute it to not being a sun worshiper when I was a teenager--back in the 80's all my friends laid out in nothing but a swimsuit and baby oil.  I thought it was boring and could never stay out very long.  Now I'm so thankful.  I also do not smoke which definitely makes a difference. 
  • Options
    try bio oil... i've been using it for a month now and my face is almost clear and is very smooth now. i'd recommend it anyday!
  • Options
    Image products are amazing!  I have been getting microderm every other month and a chemical peel every other month.  With all the stress my face has been so mad at me.
  • Options
    I was very suspicious of trying Proactive but I am so glad that I did.
    I never ever would spend that much on face products but my future MIL gave me a sample pack and I will use it for as long as I can!!
    My face is clear, soft and the small brown specks from old acne are slowly disappering!!
    I love it!!
  • Options
    i drink alot of water and tea.  i also use my facial muscles alot.  I am 24 and theres not even a worry line in my face.  Cant say the same about my 22 year old sister!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    married126married126 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    We only have a 2.5 month engagement.  Eeeks! So I've been in body prep overhaul. Cetephil or Kiehl's make great and affordable cleansers.  Depending on your budget you may even want to look into the company Osea Ocean Cleanser.  Buy the travel size and save money ($16) . I alternate between that and Kiehl's cleanser ($16 and lasts for ever).  Osea has minerals from the sea so it puts vitamins back into your skin. 

I have been using a GENTLE daily exfoliant.  To prep, I've been using Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant once a day (evening ideally).  That literally will last you a year or more. It works great, I put it on right before getting in the shower. 2x a week I'll follow that with a vitamin mask. Dermalogica also makes a good one. 

As said before.  Def. use a great moisturizer in the morning with spf. I use Sonya Dakar 360 with SPF30 or you can try Neutrogena SPF 70 from drugstores. Yes daily! In the evening a rich moisturizer with anti-aging properties makes your skin beautiful and dewy. 

Water, Water, Water, and fruits and veggies are your friend.  Really just stay clear of processed foods.  Keep it as natural as possible! 
    xoxo 
    I'm sure you will all be beautiful brides! 
  • Options
    I've been using a product called Topix Replenix x10 (www.dermstore.ca for Canadians). As a warning at the outset, the first couple of weeks I used it I had some peeling, but in the end I do have to say that I noticed a significant difference under my eyes and a reduction in a small bit of acne scarring I had on my chin. It's fairly pricey at $90 but I found a tiny bit goes a long way. You also have to be sure to use a good moisturizer afterwards too since it's a kind of peel in a bottle. Good luck!
  • Options
    I wash my face daily with a facial brush and Fabulous Foaming Face Wash from Bliss.  The brush helps to really get into my skin and get it really clean.  Once a week, I also exfoliate with a somewhat rough scrub.  I usually use Clinique's Sparkle Skin, even though it's meant as a body scrub.  I nearly never moisturize except occasionally in winter, almost never use sunscreen (although I know I should b/c I harp on FI to use it), and only very rarely do I use a masque.  I guess I'm pretty lucky to have good skin without much effort.
  • Options
    What type of microdermabrasion do you do at home?  I also think you look younger than your age.  People probably think you are five years yonger than your husband not the other way around!
  • Options
    Bio Oil? Never heard of it. I will look it up though.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_wrinkles-fresh-young-face?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:082c120e-1a4e-464b-b105-7e19b3d6d2f7Post:243e4425-1fe0-44d3-adf6-a6b7b9902f75">Re: Wrinkles/ fresh young face.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What type of microdermabrasion do you do at home?  I also think you look younger than your age.  People probably think you are five years yonger than your husband not the other way around!
    Posted by hilliardtohen[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I currently use Mary Kay but the first microderm system I ever bought was off an infomercial touted by Susan Lucci!  It has an actual appliance (whereas the one I use through MK I just use my hands).  I have seen great results with both though.  The main thing is that you find one that works with your skin.
  • Options
    I'm 32 and I still get asked for ID routinely when I've purchased alcohol from the liquor store (doesn't happen often, but around the holidays people don't mind getting bottles of wine or liquor as gifts). Many women my age have always worn make up, tanned and done complicated skin care regimes, I've always kept things simple, partly because I'm not a girly girl and prefer to have a wash and go kind of routine and partly because I don't see the need to spend tons on skin care products that eventually leave your skin dependent on them. I routinely get compliments about my skin and here's the funny part, I have super sensitive skin so I tend to keep things beyond simple. I usually don't wear make up and when I do find the need to apply make up I do so sparingly and I use all natural products - keeping things understated allows your natural beauty to shine through and make up doesn't end up globbing up in any fine lines you might have making you look older.

I don't smoke, drink or do any recreational drugs, I've never ever used soap on my face and I try my best to get at least 2L of water each day - if you can stand it room temperature is best since your body absorbs room temperature fluids more easily and quickly than cold or hot fluids. I've also found that getting plenty of sleep, eating plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, staying away from empty calories (junk food), processed foods and caffeine tends to do a great job of keeping my skin in good shape. Above all I know it's tough while planning a wedding, but try to delegate some of your tasks so that you're able to get to bed and go to sleep at a reasonable time each night.

Good luck, enjoy your wedding and despite all the drama that leads up to the big day in terms of planning and organizing everything remember, your wedding is for you and it's a day to celebrate the love between you and your future hubby! Don't let that get lost in the details.
  • Options
    I got a prescription for Retin-A Micro (be careful to use small amounts and ease into using it) a few months ago and already see a difference. I've also been using a cream by Kinerase around my eyes for years and highly recommend it. On top of those products, make sure to use sunscreen everyday and mositurize :)
  • Options

I am 27 and work for the Forest Service, so I spend a lot of time outside....definitely been having some concerns about fine lines and all of that in the last couple of years. Of course like everyone else has writen, water and sunscreen always! I use Garnier Nutritioniste Ultra Lift Moisturizer (it is a wrinkle filler) in the morning...this is a good short term fix with immediate results that smooth lines out. I use Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Moisture for night. Both are under $20 and I have definitely seen improvement! Good luck!

• Options
    I am getting married in 13 months, so I have started my new skin care routine now.  I have large pores, acne scars and still have occasional break outs, even at 34!  My dermotologist recommened that I start early so that I have time to see how products work on my face and still have time to change products if they are not working.  She recommended that I use Cetaphil products or Bare Minerals if I was willing to pay a few $$$. 
    I opted to spend the money and try Bare Minerals.  (I figure I'm only doing this wedding thing once so I wanted to look my best) I cannot even begin to tell you the difference in my skin!  I have never had people comment on how great my skin looks until now.  My pores are smaller, fine lines are fading, no breakouts and my skin feels and looks as smooth as glass!  I use the facewash, eye cream and make up.  This is all after using it for about 3 months.  Well worth the money!
  • Options
    This is something I'm trying to be aware of too, and I think for me (being a student yet) the caffeine and lack-of-sleep factors are the biggest worry.  I also am trying to get much better about consistently cleansing (but without over-stressing the skin, which is tough, so watch how much you exfoliate) and using moisture-rich creams.  If anyone has suggestions about afforable pore-reducing regimes, I'm interested!  (unless the concerns already mentioned take care of that too...)
  • Options
    Eat as pure as possible, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables. If you can't pronounce it or clearly define what it is, DONT PUT IT IN YOUR BODY. doing this for two weeks you'll see a huge difference in your skins complexion.

I'll also echo the lots of water and stay our of the sun! Also avoid caffiene. Coffee, pop and other caffinated beverages, can actually cause dehydration. So does drinking alcohol.

A moisturizer i've found that I love (got rid of the fine lines on my hands!) is Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. Sounds gross, but it's awesome. It's unscented and absorbs well.

Lots of other basics, but also try to keep from touching your face, make sure to wash and moisturize daily, exfoliate once a week, use sunscreen, and don't forget about your lips. Lip Balm with SPF for those too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards