Catholic Weddings

Vow choice

This has probably been talked about, but I don't see any recent posts regarding this.  Our next meeting with our priest is next week and he would like to discuss our readings, vows, etc.  I don't have a together for life book, so I've been relying on catholicweddinghelp.com. 

My question pertains to the vows.  After reading our two choices, C likes one and I like the other.  We only talked about it briefly, and decided to discuss it this weekend and make a decision.  Would anyone be willing to share which set of vows you chose and why?

A: I, (name), take you, (name), to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

B: I, (name), take you, (name), for my lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

My preference is A.  My favorite part is "I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vow choice

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also went with A. We just liked it better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    We went with not repeating the vows, simply saying "I do." And I am thinking we went with something more like A. I think we liked the "all the days of your life" better than "death do us part".
    Crosswalk
  • LouWho19LouWho19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I like A better!
    Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We weren't given a choice, but we ended up with A too.
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it bad that I can't remember what our vows said and would have to look it up? I remember staring into DH's eyes and saying something, but I could have promised to cook him a turkey dinner every night for all I know. ;) The only choice we got was whether neither of us or both of us said "matrimonial obedience." We went with neither.

But that said, I like A better as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'll be the one to take the other option--we're going with B.  There's been a lot of divorce in my family, and FI and I both feel very strongly about the marriage only ending in death, so we decided we wanted that in the vows. 

Also, when I think of traditional wedding vows, this is the version that comes to mind.  (Though this part was just me.  These are just the vows I always envisioned.  FI hadn't really thought about the wording until we were going through the together for life book.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We used choice A, but we didn't repeat the vows, we just said "I do". 

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I like A too.. we haven't even talked to the Father about our Vows yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our priest is actually letting us do something a bit different for ours. We liked aspects of both, so he actually is letting us combine certain parts of them.

I will say though that the priest has been very lenient about a lot of stuff.. almost none of our readings are coming from the book (it is all very appropriate and has been approved, however), and we have actually had the privilege of changing up and tweaking some stuff to make it more "us" so to speak. He told us the book was more of a guideline anyway.

Maybe yours will let you do the same about the vows.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    I just looked at my stuff too and we didn't have a choice for the vows, but ended up with the wording for A.  This will make me smile because I'll be thinking of the voice in the opening for "Days of Our Lives" (I've watched that soap for 20+ years now) when the priest reads this.  We won't repeat it either, just say "I do."  After the vows are said we do have our choice for the blessing and exchange of rings, and we went with A there too ("May the Lord bless these rings which you give to each other as the sign of your love and fidelity.")  Perhaps when  you meet with your priest he'll let you do a combo like AKG suggested.  Let us know how it works out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'll let you know how the discussion goes.  It is now only 100 days until our wedding and it feels like time is accelerating!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It ended up being an easy discussion.  We sat down and I read both of our choices.  He said, "Hmm-I really like A."  I reminded him that he previously chose B, but he doesn't remember why.  Yeah! Now I keep picturing us speaking those words to each other.

Thanks for your input.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 2Bwed20112Bwed2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_vow-choice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:84cfac0d-7e77-4249-a907-7e4fcf572598Post:f2357296-2769-48be-9d85-02768aa535e0">Re: Vow choice</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went with not repeating the vows, simply saying "I do." And I am thinking we went with something more like A. I think we liked the "all the days of your life" better than "death do us part".
    Posted by Pirata13[/QUOTE]

Exactly this!  We're 100% sure that we will be too emotional to repeat everything the priest says without choking up so we're doing the simple "I do" also!  And we didn't like "death" being part of it at all - definitely liked "all the days of your life" better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards