South Asian Weddings
Options

Need help with transportation logistics....

So FI and I had decided to have our ceremony and reception in downtown chicago, but recently decided to do a mayon/mehndi.  Since we really didn't want to spend a lot of money, doing it in downtown, we looked for places in the suburbs and there is a great place that is all inclusive which includes decor, food, etc and its completely affordable for us. 

The problem is the transportation for our OOT guests.  Since majority of the events all in downtown, we are going to do the hotel blocks in the hotel we are using for the ceremony probably, or close to it and the reception is not really that far off, maybe a less than 15 min cab ride if that.  So the chances of OOT guest renting cars are slims, since the parking charges in downtown are super high.  But the mehndi/mayon venue is about an hour or so drive away from Chicago.  So we would probably need to rent a vehicle or bus to shuttle them back and forth. 

The problem is that I wasn't planning on doing this for everyone else, just the OOT guests. The others are familiar with the area, and they can drive since they all live in the city or suburbs.  Would they find it rude or something if we are providing transportation for some and not for the rest?  Also, we are not providing transportation for the wedding and reception either, so the guests will have to park and pay a discounted parking fee, which we can absorb the cost of if needed or provide a bus to shuttle everyone back and forth.  I think paying for parking on two different occassions is a lot so we want to try absorbing some of it, but which one would be better and cheaper for us to do?  Pay the discounted rate of parking their cars in downtown or just get one of those bus to pick up people by our house and shuttle them to downtown???

Is any one else doing one or the other?  What are you doing?

Re: Need help with transportation logistics....

• Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If all of your out of town guests are staying at one hotel, it might be easier to book a conference room at that hotel - for the mehendi, folks could talk, and get their mehendi done.

If you are getting it done at a venue, does your venue provide shuttling services?

What about rental of a bus, shuttle for your guests to and fro specific hotels?

We had the mehendi done at my parents' home and most of the out of town guests found a ride with guests that got rental cars, or some of the family coordinated pick ups or drops from specific hotels.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_need-transportation-logistics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:1470d0bd-ff5c-4855-b3bd-0068971d570bPost:dce64037-243e-4970-8abe-068dbe382c02">Need help with transportation logistics....</a>:
    [QUOTE] Would they find it rude or something if we are providing transportation for some and not for the rest? Posted by Hinaj[/QUOTE]

They shouldn't...

In saying that...my parents are providing for transportation to the venue and one nights hotel accomodation for the OOT guests and immediate family... which pretty much includes my parents brothers and sisters and their children...one of my dads sisters son lives in town ...but my parents have offered him the same....For us its a one way ride and one nights stay that we are covering
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Right the last thing you need is OOT guests on the streets in your city - it could lead to confusion for the other drivers!  This is something that you are doing so that they are stress free, and you are too!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards