Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Things aren't falling into place....

I should have listened to my fiance and just got married at the courthouse. (sigh) So far I have no ceremony site, bridesmaids that I'm gonna kill, still inbetween jobs and nothing else has been booked. Although I have the reception booked for the Sheraton in Cranberry. Yay,not!!  

I wanna cry & scream all at the same time. I would do the courthouse thing but my dress is bought and paid for. I really dont know what to do. Any advice?Cry

Re: Things aren't falling into place....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry..hang in there.  It's all gotta work out.  I keep telling myself the same thing.  At this point there's so much coming into play that I didn't think about with finances and how am I going to do this or that then the feeling of walking on constant egg shells so not to piss anyone off or hurt anyone's feelings.  JP is sound good but, like you, I already have too much money into it.  Just gotta try to stay positive and figure everything will work out the way it should.  Good luck and keep that head up :)
    There are millions of people in the world, but in the end, it all comes down to one.... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hard to give advice w/o specifics.  Why haven't you booked anything but the reception?

1 - if you really want to do a JOP wedding (and you aren't saying that out of frustration), then do it.  You can still wear a fancy dress.  You might lose a venue deposit, but that might be worth the $, time and stress you save yourself.
    2- Not sure what your bridesmaid drama is, but they really are only obligated to buy a dress, wear it, and show up on the wedding day.  They arent supposed to help you plan so don't expect that.
    3 - Make a list of everything that needs to be booked, and force yourself to book one thing a week (or every other week).  Next week, look up all ceremony sites, call them, and then book one.  Then do photographers, then florists, etc.  Breaking things into chunks helps.  And with 8 months left, you have enough time to book it all.
    good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Md's advice. If you really want to do a JOP wedding, then go for it. However, if you know that years down the road you would be mad at yourself for not having a full on wedding, then it will be worth the frustration now.

And you can definitely get everything done in your time span. Don't stress over the things that really just aren't important to you (maybe it's flowers, music, etc) and focus on what made you want to do a full wedding in the first place.

Although I don't know the details about your bridesmaids, if the issue is that you need help, then maybe you can ask some family members or other people close to you to help out.

And lastly, if everything is just too overwhelming right now, and it's hard to plan (sounds like a job situation is making time difficult) then maybe consider moving the wedding back a bit. Since you don't have a lot of vendors to deal with yet it would be easier to do now. You could probably talk to the Sheraton about considering a different date. A lot of girls on here had longer engagements, and it helped us out a lot.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Any thoughts on a small destination wedding that would extend into your honeymoon? Most places have everything planned out if you book with them. May be a good comprimise between JOP and big wedding in Pgh. You would wear the dress but lose the deposit on current reception venue though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry, you'll get through it!!  Sorry you're stressing, though...

Although you do have some time left to plan, would you consider pushing back your wedding date?  FI and I did that and ended up having an 18 month engagement - it was a smart move because we were able to take our time in planning and researching vendors... and FI (at the time) didn't have a full time job (he was interning) but during the engagement, he got a job and has been able to start saving up.  Also, since everything has been so spread out, it's been a lot less stressfull!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is my first time getting married & FI second marriage.  His parents aren't really happy about spending money on this marriage. So that leaves me and my mom to foot the bill. 
     I've always pictured myself getting married outside.  But outside venues are hard to find and some are pretty $$$.  Might have found an outside venue. 

My bridesmaids are going to all be in different dresses,cause none of them can agree on the same dress. One's worried about wearing a strapless bra,one might not be able to afford the dress etc.

Then I look at prices for pictures & videos,DJ,Limo etc........ wow is all I can say. IMO thats way too much.  

As for pushing the date back,no. We got engaged last halloween. My FI wants to get married so bad. So do I. I guess everything will work out. Thanks all. I will be back to vent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why not turn things down a notch? Look for a backyard/pavillion type wedding, don't do the limo, don't worry about videography, and do an ipod wedding. This is supposed to be fun, not a big stress fest and you shouldn't go into debt to make it happen. As far as bridesmaids, if the dress matters to you, then stick to your guns. That's part of what they signed up for and if they don't want it, feel free to give them an out.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whats an ipod wedding?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Set up a playlist on an ipod and let it go with a speaker/mic system/have some of your guests take turns manning the table. I went to a backyard wedding and took turns as a guest and had a blast - and it saved the couple from having to afford a dj.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dunno. I guess my biggest point was just - do what you and your fiance need to do in order to be happy. Because life is about a lot more than this one day. If that's 15 people at a resort, great. If it's at city hall, that's cool too. One of the best weddings I went to was actually a city hall wedding in NYC. We went to dinner afterwards and actually had time to talk with the bride and groom. Then, they did a backyard sort wedding that summer and she got to wear her party dress then. They had appetizer type food like sliders to make things cheaper and went with mini cupcakes in lieu of a fancy wedding cake. The backyard type wedding included about 100 people versus the NYC dinner had about 20 people. Both were a blast and neither broke the bank/took an enormous amount of planning.
  • Options
    Now the wedding has been cancelled. Could this weekend get any worse.
  • Options
    what happened?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards