New York

Is it worth the fight?

So... I will try to make this as short and sweet as I can.

Kevin's parents want to bring 2 of their dogs up for our wedding.  They are traveling from Pittsburgh and plan to stay at either our house or apartment on Thursday and possibly Friday night (wedding is next Saturday)... which BTW, they just bothered to inform us of last week.

I have asked several times that they leave the dogs at home.  Kevin has asked several times.  They are freaking relentless.

I love animals... love dogs... love these 2 dogs... but really this is not a good weekend to bring the zoo to town.  If I had a dog of my own I would most likely take it to the kennel or vet for the day before and day of the wedding... I know that I will not be around to let it out, feed it, etc and I wouldn't expect anyone else involved in the wedding to babysit my pets snice they will be running around like crazy too.

So... this whole dog thing is getting to the point where it might get ugly.  I am about half a second away from telling them to find a hotel that is ok with pets.  Aside from the fact that I am worried something will go horribly wrong (chew on wedding dress, pee on flowers, tear up decorations, one runs away... etc).... I am really irritated that they are adamantly not respecting one of the very things we have asked of them.  I might just fly off the handle if either of them grow ballsy enough to bring their plea to me.

Is this worth the fight?
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Is it worth the fight?

• edited December 2011
    I should add that this is not an issue of being able to find a kennel or dog sitter.  They have like 20+ horses and another dog that they are leaving in Pittsburgh with a sitter for the 3 or 4 days they will be gone.  So.... leaving the other 2 dogs would be just fine.  FMIL says she is worried that the other 2 might try to run away.  Let me get this straight... you are afraid they will try to run away from their own home, but you think they won't freak out being in a strange house with dozens of strange people walking in and out all day long.... then they will be perfectly ok being left alone for 12+ hours in the strange house.  riiiiiiight.

sorry for the venting.  I am trying to learn (like Bridgett said) to choose my battles and I am so annoyed at this point that I don't know if this is a ship worth sinking on or not.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I personally would fight it. Its your wedding and the last thing you need is to "stop for a second to take care of the dogs". And I too would be terrified that theyd eat one of my projects or as you said...pee on the dress.

My dog will be dropped off at FMILs house with her dogs Fri morning so that I dont need to worry about him. I would have Kevin tell his parents (providing he is able to speak to his parents in such a manner) "Youre dogsare not welcome at our house or apartment. We have way too much going on and too many things that could be ruined with them around. If you insist on bring them, I ask that you find a local kennel or hotel that allows them. Please and thank you."

I personally wouldnt have it. And if Kevin can, he should remind his parents whose house it is theyre coming to.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    See Im actually scared that my dog will escape and be hit by a car at FMILs. But she insists he's fine. Tank sees and open door and hightails it and FMIL will have 4yr old RB with her for the weekend and he's used to just allowing her dog out without a leash. Lets mention that he let FBILs dog out thinking he didnt need a leash and she was hit and killed. So I have a reason to be scared.

But yeah, fight it.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely fight it too.  Too much could go wrong and you don't need that stress.  Bridgett's suggestion about having Kevin tell them in no uncertain terms sounds like a good plan.

I'm getting mad just thinking about this!  I don't really like animals, and I would absolutely freak out if I was in your situation.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, ladies!!!  So I guess I am not crazy and this is worth b!tchin about.  Now... how to accomplish this without making enemies out of my in-laws forever.  I will definitely try to have Kevin put his foot down about it.  Thanks for the feedback!
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    You could try saying that someone is really allergic to dogs.... for instance if the girls are getting ready at your place  you could tell your in-laws that the  maid of honor is so allergic to dogs that she breaks out in hives....and obviously hives would ruin your pics!  You can't argue with a medical excuse!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_worth-fight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:2c51a8ec-5e61-4f80-ba20-2e83cdabbda1Post:feffacc4-3834-4e34-962b-e5d07c67c514">Re: Is it worth the fight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could try saying that someone is really allergic to dogs.... for instance if the girls are getting ready at your place  you could tell your in-laws that the  maid of honor is so allergic to dogs that she breaks out in hives....and obviously hives would ruin your pics!  You can't argue with a medical excuse!
    Posted by rbr83[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think that lying to my in-laws would be a great idea.  I'm not a very good liar anyway.

Kevin is going to talk to them, yet again, and set some boundries.  At this point it is more of a respect issue than a dog issue (although the dogs are still most definitely an issue).... they need to respect our house and what we have asked them not to do.  Lying to them about an allergy may make them not bring the dogs, but it will not fix the problem of them not respecting our request.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely understand...just trying to give you a solution that might keep the peace until the wedding day.  My MIL was pulling some stunts right before my wedding as well.  In the end, she ended up apologizing and we have a great relationship now.  She told me later that she felt like she was "losing her baby" and that is why she kept trying to throw wrenches into our plans.  Hope things turn out well for you too. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!!!  I hope so too... the whole "losing my baby" thing is a really interesting thing to think about.  I don't knnow that that is her particular issue.... but who knows?  I'm glad you wrote that because it is something else to think about... maybe there is some other sort of issue here and she is just acting out in a different way.  Thanks!!!
    Online Garage Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards