California-Bay Area
Options

Looking for affordable photographer {and bakery} in the Bay Area!

Hi there,
I'm looking for a photographer for my fast approaching wedding! I'm on a very tight budget, so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for an affordable wedding photographer in the SF Bay Area?
I'm also looking for a bakery to do the cake, and I would like to find someone affordable for this as well. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!!
-Nicole

Re: Looking for affordable photographer {and bakery} in the Bay Area!

• Options
    vb0000vb0000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also on a tight budget but I found both my baker and my photographer by putting in "photographer" and "cake" into the search fields of this board to see who had been recommended.  There have been many posts about these two subjects over the past 6 months. 

I'm using Julie Cheshire photography: http://www.juliecheshire.com/index2.php#/home/

and The Glass Slipper Gourmet for my cake:

But there are many other vendors in these price ranges that are just as good as they are.  It might just come down to travel fees and/or personal connection during the interview.  Happy hunting!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Julie as well for photography. She is super reasonable and her pictures were amazing. I'm pretty sure that she's flexible with prices as well. I can't speak highly enough about her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Sweet Tooth Confections for our cake/desserts.

www.sweettoothconfections.net
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer was Norbert von der Groeben, check out norbertwedding.com .
    For my cake, I used idoweddingcakes.biz
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For cake, check out Schubert's.   Their cakes are like $800 or something.  I went for a cake tasting, and it was pretty good.  I ended up going with another bakery that was a little more expensive, as they had better designs, but if you go with Schubert's, go for their vanilla rum cake.  It's delicious!
  • Options
    slubkinslubkin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Torino Baking for our cake (priced at $6/slice)- torinobaking.com.  The owner/baker is a fantastic person,her cake is delicious, and her customer service has been outstanding so far.

For photographers we decided to go with Bella Pictures, the office is based in SF.  They are a chain and assign you to a specific photographer closer to the wedding date, but they also guarantee a back up and they have you rate pictures online to get a sense of your style before matching you with a photographer.  We went for a free short engagement session and were offered a pretty sweet deal.  I think our package is $2600 and includes a leather bound, matted album, two mini albums, a $200 print credit, a credit towards retouching, and a photographer for 6 hours.  They have other bigger packages as well.
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What area are you in?

We are doing pies, having a country style wedding w bbq.  But my photographers rates are great, his work is awesome!  He is in Brentwood
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think we probably have different ideas about what constitues "affordable." An $800 cake is definitely not affordable to me.

Anyway, Yelp is another good place to search for bakers and photographers. If you're on a really tight budget, you should also check Craigslist. I saw a number of photographers on there in the lower prices, though I can't vouch for quality.
  • Options
    ElleestJennElleestJenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using North Point Photography in SF. Their prices are pretty reasonable compared to other companies in the area. www.npointphoto.com.

For our cake we got ours for $450!!! And that feeds 150 people with different fillings in each layer! We are using Mazzetti's Bakery in Pacifica. The lady who we are also working with is great, she gave us a lot of ideas and we were able to do two cake tastings when we couldn't decide what we wanted. What I liked about them as well is they start baking their cakes at midnight the day of the wedding so its fresh.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    mslokesmslokes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Sergio Mena Jr. He is so talented and very affordable. He already did our engagement session and they tured out great!!! Good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a wedding cake special... and also a contest to get a free Wedding cake.

Take a look at my website:  www.mamanenascake.com
    We're located in Monterey CA
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using DMG Photography. Darwin is great and the photos are wonderful.

http://dmgphoto.com/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Abel Soria. He's been great so far... his prices are very reasonable and he has a lot of different options. We did an engagement session with him and he was really personable and fun to work with. PIB :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are planning a wedding for the far East Bay, check out TLCakes. They do an amazing job. Very pretty cakes and extremely reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards