Wedding Party

Fun title for Special Bridal Helper

I have a MOH and bridesmaids but I have befriended a new person in my life and she is wanting to take a roll and participate in helping my girls plan the shower, party, etc.

I want to give her a fun title so she feels appreciated and included. Any suggestions?

Re: Fun title for Special Bridal Helper

• "Guest".  That's special too.
    Anniversary
  • Please don't.  Simply thank her for her generocity and be happy to have a good friend.  Don't give her a cutesy title.  She is an adult. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fun-title-for-special-bridal-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7e515fc3-46c9-4383-85da-0a633c1fef1ePost:7e61f6de-e039-40fb-872b-cd93ad429cc2">Fun title for Special Bridal Helper</a>:
    [QUOTE]Imhave a MOH and bridesmaids but I have befriended a new person in my life and she is wanting to take a roll and participate in helping my girls plan the shower, party, etc. I want to give her a fun title so she feels appreciated and included. Any suggestions?
    Posted by hbritton[/QUOTE]

"Less important than even sides." It could also be her new Indian name.
  • Could you just make her a bridesmaid? If not, just make her a guest.  Anything else just screams 'second string'.
  • If it hasn't been too long, you could ask her to do a reading...but other than that, there is no "special title"
  • hbrittonhbritton member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Wow. I definitely wasn't expecting this reaction, I just assumed that someone who put time and money into my wedding for me deserved to have recognition. I was not planning on something cutesy but fun/ creative to let her know I appreciated everything she's done. The only purpose for the title was so that when I make t-shirts I can get her one. Since she is not a bridesmaid I didn't want to give everyone else something to wear and not her. Thank you those who have posted after th e first person. You have been condescending and unhelpful.
  • HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    T-shirts? Really? No one will want to wear that after your wedding. You will be spending it on a dust rag for people to use at their house.
  • Please oh please don't do the T-shirts.  Presumably she's helping you with your wedding because she loves you and wants to help you, not because she's secretly hoping to get rewarded with something she'll never ever have the opportunity to wear again.  (Seriously, have you ever seen anyone wear or use anything that said "bridesmaid" outside the mandated functions?)

There were a couple of people who were particularly helpful in our planning who didn't have an official role in the wedding; I acknowledged them in a "special thanks" section of the program and got them a gift of appreciation.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Totally agree with PPs....don't waste your money on tshirts!  They'll never wear them again. 
  • EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fun-title-for-special-bridal-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:7e515fc3-46c9-4383-85da-0a633c1fef1ePost:4b807a41-41cd-46ce-8ea8-72b4e90c1e77">Re: Fun title for Special Bridal Helper</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. I definitely wasn't expecting this reaction, I just assumed that someone who put time and money into my wedding for me deserved to have recognition. I was not planning on something cutesy but fun/ creative to let her know I appreciated everything she's done. The only purpose for the title was so that when I make t-shirts I can get her one. Since she is not a bridesmaid I didn't want to give everyone else something to wear and not her. Thank you those who have posted after th e first person. You have been condescending and unhelpful.
    Posted by hbritton[/QUOTE]

<div>If you need to do T-shirts and want to get her one, I'd go with something like "Team Bride." It has a better ring than most of the alternatives.</div>
  • Oh, a t-shirt? In that case, I defintely suggest you stay classic instead of trying to get cutesy. "Maid of Honor" for the MOH, "Bridesmaid" for the bridesmaids, and "Second String Friend" for the new friend.
  • While the condescending behavior is unnecessary, I agree with the previous posters.  If you want to recognize her, make her part of the wedding party, give her a shout out in the program, or even give her a special thank you gift for all her help.  A made-up title, be it creative or cutesy, is going to come off as second-string and childlike.  Also, you probably could spend your money on something more useful to your bridesmaids than t-shirts they will only have occasion to wear once.  My friend's fiance gave all her bridesmaids these really pretty (non-wedding themed) brooches that they all wore pre-wedding, but now have as a keepsake that they can wear whenever they want.  Go for something along those lines with your bridesmaids tastes in mind if you really want to have something to tie them all together in team-like fashion.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Sometimes I wonder if people understand the difference between the words condescending and sarcastic.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fun-title-for-special-bridal-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:7e515fc3-46c9-4383-85da-0a633c1fef1ePost:7d3667c9-8e01-4bc3-b26e-d3f2ba3620a7">Re: Fun title for Special Bridal Helper</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes I wonder if people understand the difference between the words condescending and sarcastic.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]
    Or that "this is a bad idea" isn't a personal judgment or condemnation.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • OP, although you may not have liked the delivery of some PPs, please heed their advice.  We are telling you from experience that it is unnecessary to make special titles.

Bridesmaids are people you want to honor your relationship with, not people who do the most work for you.  So while it's very nice and thoughtful that your new friend has been so helpful, making her a bridesmaid at this point seems more like you are only adding her because she's helped, not because you are very close with her. 

If you'd still like to recognize her efforts though and show how much you appreciate her, you can write a heartfelt note and present her with a gift, similar to what you'd get your BMs.  She would likely appreciate this more than a 'title'. 

As for the T-shirts, I understand they are very popular in wedding magazines and such, but this is yet another issue that we speak from experience on.  They seem like a cute idea, but they almost never work out in reality the way you picture it, and I'd hate to see you waste your money.  First, getting ready the day of is so hectic.  I had two of my BMs stay with me the night before and get ready in the hotel room the morning of, and we were still all over the place.  We never would have had any photo ops or anything to display matching shirts.  Plus, most of those T-shirts will ruin your hair and make-up once you try to change out of them, so it's better to just wear a random button up. Then after the wedding, you wont' be a 'bride' anymore, nor will any of your friends be 'bridesmaids', so they become useless.  It is generally a much better idea to put that money towards their gifts that they'll actually use after the wedding, including your new friend.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_fun-title-for-special-bridal-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:7e515fc3-46c9-4383-85da-0a633c1fef1ePost:eb7dbde6-459b-490a-ad61-f3841fab03ce">Re: Fun title for Special Bridal Helper</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fun title for Special Bridal Helper : If you need to do T-shirts and want to get her one, I'd go with something like "Team Bride." It has a better ring than most of the alternatives.
    Posted by EK2013[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking too.
  • I think I know where you are coming from...I have been to a couple DIY weddings in the past few years and they can be quite the productions with lots and lots of nights of crafting etc. These weddings have had a personal attendant or a brides attendant. She wasn't in the bridal party, didn't walk down the aisle, but she was acknowledged in the programs and on the wedding website as well as included in several of the photos (much like how the ushers can be). She helped out with whichever crafting she wanted and helped make sure the day ran smoothly....everything from making sure the space was decorated correctly to getting the ushers to get everyone seated on time to checking in on the catering (pretty much the make-shift event coordinator of the day).

I see no problems with that if that's what you...and your friend are thinking.
    Everyone's story is beautiful but OURS is my FAVORITE
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards