Getting in Shape

**entropic**: Warm-up before lifts

Entropic, I once again missed your response to me at the end of the accountability thread where you asked me about warming up before lifting.

Honestly, you can do so many things just to get your body moving.  Maybe 15 minutes of cycling, or light jogging would work for you.  I personally like to get in some dynamic stretching (I save static stretching for after workouts).  I have two routines I do, one for a leg day, and one for an arm day.  So for example, on leg days I do walking knee raises, walking high kicks, walking quad stretch, box jumps, and box step-ups before I get to lifting.

Now, my gym also has a nice big room for stretching.  If you don't have a ton of space, maybe try jumping jacks or jumping rope to warm up.

I hope this helps! Maybe others can jump in with how they like to warm up before lifting?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: **entropic**: Warm-up before lifts

• Thanks for the tip! This weekend I tried my normal stretching routine before I started weightlifting - it was still more difficult than doing cardio before weights, so I think I might have to start off doing like 10 minutes of light cardio before going into weights and then I can finish up with harder cardio.
  • I actually do my warmup with weights my 1st couple of sets I use a very low weight and do at least 15 reps to warm up that muscle. I always wait until after weight training for stretching. Sometimes stretching 1st can take away from your workout.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I do a short jog circuit before I lift... walk for 60 secs, jog for 60 secs, skip for 30 secs, side sashay for 30 secs, side gallops for 30 secs.  Then I do a barbell complex at progressivley heavier weights to warm up to weight... works pretty well for me.

I read a good article not to long ago that said that static stretching before lifting actually INCREASES the risk of injury under weight.  However dynamic stretching, such as the leg swings and air squats to depth, DECREASE injury risk because it stretch and warms the muscle without reducing the natural tension you need to lift properly with good form.  (Can't of course find the article now)
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards