California-Los Angeles
Options

Does an inexpensive venue like this even exist?

I have tried Herecomesthebride and all those other wedding and event space websites as well as performed searches on here.

- has a garden or courtyard (something outdoors) where both a ceremony and reception can be
- can bring in your own caterer and food
every place I looked up either has set premiums with you having to order food from them or their preferred caterers, or if they allow you to bring in your own caterer, the price of the rental is too high. We just want a cake and punch reception with guests getting a big piece of cake, and punch (just that no appetizers)
- venue rental is under $800
We really just need some space for maybe 3 hours starting as early as 1PM and ending as late as 5PM
- parking is included without people having to do valet
We would pay for it since I would feel weird making guests pay for parking.
- no package deals
I want to choose all my Craigslist services and DIY with other things

My fiance and I have been engaged a really long time. We decided that we really just want to have a simple, short, cake and punch reception (literally just cake and punch),  because we both have been working part time instead of full time for half a year or so now and before that, we bought a house together....

We are really trying to do this as cheap as possible all while still feeling like I had a wedding that in pictures I could look back onto with seeing family and friends celebrating with us. We pretty much are planning to get all services through Craigslist, the cake from a Chinese bakery, and some flowers from the internet or downtown where I can just make some basic bouquets and centerpieces.

I looked into renting through the LA Mountains parks, but the venues were much higher than I had expected. Ideally I would love to have this in someone's yard, but  everyone we know either has a condo, apartment, or tiny yard. Renting a house for a day is not an option.

Any ideas?

Re: Does an inexpensive venue like this even exist?

• Options
    KfmarriedKfmarried member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, $800 is tough.  I just got married at Temescal Gateway Park in Pacific Palisades and it was $3000.   I would recommend finding a church or place of worship that has beautiful gardens or courtyards. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
  • Options
    will47will47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LA Arboretum roughly fits your budget, and there are a lot of gorgeous spots to have weddings there.  If we were having a longer ceremony, I would have thought about doing it there - it was the place I most wanted to do our wedding at originally. However, the ceremony has to start after 5 PM - don't know if that's a dealbreaker It looks like you can do a 3.5 hour event, but I'm not sure whether that increases the fee compared to the shorter timeline they outline here:

http://www.arboretum.org/index.php/visit/wedding
    my read shelf:
    William's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're near the Pasadena area at all, check out the Neighborhood Church. The rental fee is slightly higher than your budget, but all the other criteria are satisfied. They gave us a break on the rental price, so they might be willing to negotiate with you, too. Beautiful outdoor and indoor space!
  • Options
    C aliChickC aliChick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at the Arboretum and it was more than $800, it was actually more like $1800. Try Monte Verde Park in Lakewood. It a small wilderness looking park with its own parking lot. There are no jungle gym, slides or anything like that and the cost is like $75/hour. There is a nice outdoor area for a ceremony too. The indoor part of the venue has a full kitchen. It books quickly so call ASAP.
  • Options
    miss_britt28miss_britt28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

going along the same lines as one of the knotties mentioned above about finding a church with a coutryard.....We are getting married in Westlake village at Westminsters Presbyterian Church and they acualy have a realy beautiful courtyard with arches.  its a beautiful church and I think that it would definitly be within your budget. Its in a beautiful area as well! Hope that helps!

• Options
    The best money saving advice I could give anyon is to have your wedding on a weekday. People can take off work for one day for your big day. It saved us thousands and thousands of dollars, because everything is more available and all the vendors too and they are alll way cheaper on a weekday. Calabasas Inn was soo great and we coud have never afforded it on a weekend. But it was by a beautiful waterfall and you walk right inside to have reception at same place. Didn't even need to buy flowers except bouquet and boutonierres. Was sooo beautiful. I think ceremony was around 800 but that was yearss ago. And the reception food was more but wow people still to this day talk about how great the food was.
  • Options
    Oh but it is using their food. But hey if it's that great,you might want to think about it. Save yourself one more hassle. The food tasting day was sooo fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards