Wedding Reception Forum
Options

The "I Spy" game

Are any of you guys doing the I spy game at your wedding? How many "I spy" cards are you putting at the table? What are you wanting spy pictures to be taken of?

We are doing:
Best and worst dancer
Best dressed
Faces of bride and groom when introduced
Cute couple besides bride and groom
Favorite decroation
Bride and Groom seekng a kiss
Group photo of everyone at your table
.... and a couple more

Re: The "I Spy" game

• Options
    I am not a fan of these at all.  I don't want to go to a wedding reception and play games. I want to eat, dance and enjoy myself.  This "I Spy" game is honeslty something more appopriate for a prom.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I think it sounds like so much fun and I've been thinking about doing it for my wedding too to encourage guests to take their own pictures.

As a guest, if you don't want to play, then don't.  Nobody is forcing you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thats what I thought I went to a wedding and it was fun to do rather than sitting there waiting on the bride and groom to come in from pictures I have something to do with my time rather than twittle my thumbs!
  • Options
    People at weddings don't twittle their thumbs while they wait during picutres, they talk to each other, catch up, eat appetizers, etc. A game like that just feels a little forced.  People come to weddings for more than the 'wedding', often it's a time to see friends and family you don't often see too. 
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    Games are for birthday parties not weddings. Do you realize some of your catagories are insulting. I mean worst dancer? People's feelings will get hurt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're having this at our reception.  Our categories are:
    Cutest couple
    Best dancer
    Laughter
    Holding hands
    Someone making a toast
    Bride and her mother
    Groom and his father
    Favorite decorations
    People clinking glasses
    Tears of joy
    A big hug
    Artistic shot of food
    Multiple generations
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    If you're going to do this my only advice would be to remove the negative ones on the list like worst dancer. Could you imagine if Aunt Y or Cousin X is out there on the floor and people keep taking pictures of them:

"I must be the best dancer out here, right?"

"Oh no, you're the worst one actually. Keep making a fool of yourself so I can take a photo for the bride and groom"

Some people might know they're the worst dancer and embrace it but others might feel really uncomfortable and not want to dance for fear of being judged and photographed. 
  • Options
    megnmike1213megnmike1213 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I didn't think I asked the question "whats your opinion of the I spy game?" I ask who is having it and how they were doing it. If the post didn't apply to you, then obviously  I didn't want the feedback. I like what I like and you like what you like. This is my wedding and I will make it my own and personal. Thanks for your opinions tough.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:399e745f-f026-46a6-ad4e-151994c1e4d0">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't think I asked the question "whats your opinion of the I spy game?" I ask who is having it and how they were doing it. If the post didn't apply to you, then obviously  I didn't want the feedback. I like what I like and you like what you like. This is my wedding and I will make it my own and personal. Thanks for your opinions tough.
    Posted by megnmike1213[/QUOTE]

When you post something on a public forum you are going to get opinions if you asked for them or not.  Would 't you rather strangers tell you something is a bad idea and possibly insulting to your guests before someone's feelings get hurt at your wedding?  You are looking at your wedding the wrong way.  The minute you invite someone else it stops being "your wedding" as the reception is a thank you to your guests.  Their comfort and enjoyment are the #1 priority not yours.

• Options
    Bless your heart!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:1f443387-d125-4ab1-82a8-e11c128345b4">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : When you post something on a public forum you are going to get opinions if you asked for them or not.  Would 't you rather strangers tell you something is a bad idea and possibly insulting to your guests before someone's feelings get hurt at your wedding?  You are looking at your wedding the wrong way.  <strong>The minute you invite someone else it stops being "your wedding" as the reception is a thank you to your guests.  Their comfort and enjoyment are the #1 priority not yours.</strong>
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

This is so wrong on SO many levels.  First off, yes you want your guests to have a good time and thank them, but the day is ultimately about the joining of two families.  It is a covenant between you, your fiance and God.  The way you are making it sound seems that the bride and groom should be catering to everyone else??!!!  That is messed up.  Its a celebration not a resort/spa day for everyone.  What more do you want? They get food, cake, dancing, sometimes alcohol.  I just do not agree with this at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:f12c355f-226a-476d-bc0d-1367c69c291c">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : This is so wrong on SO many levels.  First off, yes you want your guests to have a good time and thank them, but the day is ultimately about the joining of two families.  It is a covenant between you, your fiance and God.  The way you are making it sound seems that the bride and groom should be catering to everyone else??!!!  That is messed up.  Its a celebration not a resort/spa day for everyone.  What more do you want? They get food, cake, dancing, sometimes alcohol.  I just do not agree with this at all.
    Posted by AshleyN23[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm not wrong. You don't have to agree with me but etiquette does. The ceremony is about joing 2 families, the reception is a party.  Like every other party there are rules to wedding receptions.  The rules say you have to be a good host which means you CAN NOT do whatever you want just because you're the bride.  So you would be ok with potentially insulting your guests and making them uncomfortable because it makes you happy? From your previous posts it's very apparent that you don't know anything about wedding etiquette so maybe you should look into it.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:f12c355f-226a-476d-bc0d-1367c69c291c">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : This is so wrong on SO many levels.  First off, yes you want your guests to have a good time and thank them, but the day is ultimately about the joining of two families.  It is a covenant between you, your fiance and God.  The way you are making it sound seems that the bride and groom should be catering to everyone else??!!!  That is messed up.  Its a celebration not a resort/spa day for everyone.  What more do you want? They get food, cake, dancing, sometimes alcohol.  I just do not agree with this at all.

You are confusing the wedding with the reception.  The wedding is all about the B&G but the reception is where they <em><u>receive</u></em> their guests and it is for the guests to thank them from coming.  Step away from the bridal magazines and WE/TLC shows(that have no interest in anything more than getting you to spend as much money as possible) and invest in an etiquette book.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:2fbd16a5-d018-442d-a3ac-c64eab958655">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game :<strong> Actually I'm not wrong</strong>. You don't have to agree with me but etiquette does. The ceremony is about joing 2 families, the reception is a party.  Like every other party there are rules to wedding receptions.  The rules say you have to be a good host which means you CAN NOT do whatever you want just because you're the bride.  So you would be ok with potentially insulting your guests and making them uncomfortable because it makes you happy? <strong>From your previous posts it's very apparent that you don't know anything about wedding etiquette s0 maybe you should look into it.</strong>

Please show me the wedding bible where it says exactly how to do everything the "right way", and i'll listen.  Pretty sure each "etiquette" book takes different points of view.  How is a game insulting? Hmm if you don't like it put on your big girl panties and don't play it :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:f1102dbe-3830-4701-af8d-763aef44f122">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : You are confusing the wedding with the reception.  The wedding is all about the B&G but the reception is where they receive their guests and it is for the guests to thank them from coming.  Step away from the bridal magazines and WE/TLC shows(that have no interest in anything more than getting you to spend as much money as possible) and invest in an etiquette book.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

So in said etiquette book it will specifically say "No games because everyone on the Earth hates them"  I think not.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:272baf2b-ee1f-4de0-b059-fbdce456fded">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : Please show me the wedding bible where it says exactly how to do everything the "right way", and i'll listen.  Pretty sure each "etiquette" book takes different points of view.  How is a game insulting? Hmm if you don't like it put on your big girl panties and don't play it :)

Read any etiquette book you want and they'll tell you I'm right. The reception is about the guests. Picking out the worst dressed, worst dancer etc is insulting.  Please stop embarrassing yourself with all the horrible advice.

• Options
    AshleyN23AshleyN23 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:9ebf708b-6c61-49e3-9741-94328742a0b9">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : Read any etiquette book you want and they'll tell you I'm right. The reception is about the guests. Picking out the worst dressed, worst dancer etc is insulting.  <strong>Please stop embarrassing yourself with all the horrible advice.</strong>

I think you are the one who should be embarrassed thinking you are the end all be all of wedding etiquette.  I never said to go ahead with picking insulting things like worst dancer. I agree that is very insulting. HOWEVER I do not think games at a wedding are not "etiquette" if you don't like it...DON'T WATCH IT!  Its not YOUR wedding so who cares?! And no I won't buy a book.  All those books are is someone else's <u><em>opinion</em></u> on how they THINK a reception/wedding should go.  And as someone else so graciously put out there, the wedding industry just wants you to buy buy buy so why in the world would I buy a book about it and play into that?  There is no wedding bible sorry hun.
  • Options
    BTW she never mentioned worst dressed.  Make sure you aren't putting words in people's mouth :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:0aed5bec-98ad-4690-9e5f-a015d809fa58">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "I Spy" game : I think you are the one who should be embarrassed thinking you are the end all be all of wedding etiquette.  I never said to go ahead with picking insulting things like worst dancer. I agree that is very insulting. HOWEVER I do not think games at a wedding are not "etiquette" if you don't like it...DON'T WATCH IT!  Its not YOUR wedding so who cares?! And no I won't buy a book.  All those books are is someone else's opinion on how they THINK a reception/wedding should go.  And as someone else so graciously put out there, the wedding industry just wants you to buy buy buy so why in the world would I buy a book about it and play into that?  There is no wedding bible sorry hun.

I never said I was the end all of wedding etiquette, I said it agrees with me. So you mean to tell me that you've been giving good advice out?  Have you read the responses to your posts in other threads?

• Options
    AshleyN23AshleyN23 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I'm not trying to give advice I'm just giving my opinion. I could care less what the people do with it!  I just want them to see a different point of view they may not have thought of. 

Hmm you sure seem like it. So was your wedding 100% etiquette dictated by someone else...or did you do what you wanted?
  • Options
    Whoa ladies!  retract the claws!

I've been married for 30 years and my DD is getting married next spring.  Here's my advise and take it for what it's worth...... 

I've never heard of the I spy game at a wedding.  Sounds like it could be fun.  And yes, some people may think it's kind of silly.  If you want to do it at your reception, go for it.  It's a passive game.  The camera and list are there on the table.  If the guests want to participate, fine.  If not, that's fine too.  No one is being forced to participate.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_the-i-spy-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:4e6da199-d596-49e3-a973-5396f627f957Post:c2ab3401-5659-4d52-8cbe-578eb41f805f">Re: The "I Spy" game</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not trying to give advice I'm just giving my opinion. I could care less what the people do with it!  I just want them to see a different point of view they may not have thought of.  Hmm you sure seem like it. So was your wedding 100% etiquette dictated by someone else...or did you do what you wanted?

My wedding was 100% etiquette wise, down to me inviting my cousin's d-bag boyfriend that started a rumor that my husband sold drugs to buy my e-ring because it's the right thing to do.  Being proper does not mean not making things personal, it's about being a proper host.  Sometimes that means the bride and groom don't get their way.

• Options
    Hmmm well we obviously have very different views on things...I'm not saying treat your guests like crap but I'm holding to the view the ceremony AND reception is about the bride and groom. You should know as a guests how appreciative we are you came. Also so just because her name is miss. manners I'm supposed to listen to her. No thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards