Just Engaged and Proposals

Budget Blunders

I am just engaged... 2 weeks!  Yay!

However, my future "in-laws" live about an hour away, and my Fi and I already have a hard time squeezing a day intogether with our crazy work schedules.

We finally found time to go visit them to discuss budget, but then when we got there... we couldn't do it! It's so akward asking people how much/ if  they are willing to chip in.

How have you ladies approached asking about budget?
Wedding Countdown Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Budget Blunders

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_budget-blunders?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a5f58eb4-f484-400e-a3fd-4ce9b3159ef5Post:8b677bf2-7860-414d-aecf-a89e395b8714">Budget Blunders</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just engaged... 2 weeks!  Yay! However, my future "in-laws" live about an hour away, and my Fi and I already have a hard time squeezing a day intogether with our crazy work schedules. We finally found time to go visit them to discuss budget, but then when we got there... we couldn't do it! It's so akward asking people how much they are willing to chip in. How have you ladies approached asking about budget?
    Posted by LandV[/QUOTE]

<div>It's awkward because that's not how you do it. You never ask someone to give you money. If they want to contribute, they will offer. In the meantime, plan what you and your fiancé can afford on your own.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_budget-blunders?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a5f58eb4-f484-400e-a3fd-4ce9b3159ef5Post:6f60bd1d-c2b3-47d0-896c-7484b392743a">Re: Budget Blunders</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Budget Blunders : It's awkward because that's not how you do it. You never ask someone to give you money. If they want to contribute, they will offer. In the meantime, plan what you and your fiancé can afford on your own.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto This. </div>
    Photobucket
  • DH and I didn't ask.  We planned a wedding that he and I could afford.  My parents never offered any monetary gift and his parents offered to host the rehearsal dinner.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto PP.  It's rude to ask for money for YOUR wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto.

Never ask someone to pay for your wedding. They might offer, but you never ask - that is beyond rude. As an adult, you have the ultimate responsibility to pay for your party.

If they offer, then you have to decide if you want their money. When someone gives you money, they get control over the wedding. If you do accept the money, remember the person paying has the last say over everything (like guest list, venue, date, etc.)

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I've got to agree with all the other responses. You and fiancee need to plan a wedding that you can pay for. If offers to help come in, that's great. But responsible planning means being able to stick to whatever you can cover without too much stress. Plus, being adults, independant, etc ... ;)
  • Congratulations!  And ditto pp.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards