Second Weddings
Options

2nd wedding reception woes

This is both my FH and mine 2nd weddings and I am at a loss as to reception ideas. It doesn't seem to matter what idea I come up with they all seem kind of silly.
We are planning on about 100 people MAX with our immediate families and closest friends and co workers and I just can't seem to come up with a reception idea that matches the feel I have about the ceremony.
We aren't doing a dance floor nor is there going to be an open bar and so I am trying to find an idea that will be intimate and romantic but yet fun at the same time. I have been divorced for 9 years and him for almost 4 and the path we have traveled has been long and hard and we are wanting a celebration but yet intimate. Any suggestions????
Our wedding is a western/country theme as we live in Colorado and so I am trying to find something that will work with the "feel" of everything else...

Re: 2nd wedding reception woes

• Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Well, we had a small reception (50 peeps) at a golf club where H golfs.  We had heavy apps, a hosted bar, and cake.  It was casual (see the pic I posted - no wedding dress for me and dockers and Hawiian (sp) shirt for him).  It really was very relaxed.  We had gotten married by civil ceremony beforehand and hosted a BBQ at our home for the immed family and out of towners.  The reception was 2 days later.

ETA:  entire reception came to about $1800.  We also had IPod music but it was mostly background since everyone was busy chatting and catching up.  Seriously, no one danced.
  • Options
    natalia1102natalia1102 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my fh and i contemplated doing a brunch or a luncheon. it can casual or formal ~ completely up to u. we decided on a wedding ceremony at my fh sisters house which sits on the water with a beautiful view and across the parking lot is a small hall... only prob is ~ we can only fit about 80 ppl but we are determined to make it wrk!! good luck~ and best wishes!! congrats!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

The prior poster's ideas are good ones. If you don't want dancing or an open bar, then it's about the ambiance and food.

Is there a farm or barn in the area? You could have the ceremony there or outdoors, and a party in the barn, and a hay ride to end the night, with a bonfire ( or whatever is allowed in your area).  You could set the tables in a rustic fashion, with mason jars for wild flowers.

Or, you could mix & match elegance with rustic and have more formal things mixed in with rustic in an eclectic fashion. Formal seating, linens, centerpieces  in a rustic location.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about a small inn or B&B?  My FI and I are having our ceremony and reception aboard a dinner yatch that will circle Manhattan.  Like you, what we wanted to focus most on was having family and friends to celebrate our long road to finding each other, and being in love.  What are the things that you and your FI love?  Where was your first date?  Is there a spot that you both go to?  
  • Options
    scrappinbug03scrappinbug03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the really great ideas!!
    I have been intimidated by this subject for some time now and after hearing these great ideas I am starting to think there may be hope!!
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  We had almost the same situation.  We were married at a B&B, and it was perfect for size and feel.  We had round tables and cafe tables, and an outdoor patio area so guests could walk around and mingle after going through the buffet (heavy h'd).  We had beer & wine, along with soft drinks.  No dance floor, no bouquet toss, no garter toss.  And, since we had the entire B&B for 24 hours, all our oot family stayed there with us.  Where are you in CO?
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered having some entertainers come in & perform for your guests in leu of dancing?  I've seen belly dancers, hula dancers, magicians, Elvis, comedians, fire eaters (!) and a rope trick artist at weddings. 

(wow I've been hanging with a crazy crowd over the years now that i think back on their weddings!!!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-reception-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:dd097955-901c-407b-8d76-5c6cf2836472Post:966f28a2-5cc4-4406-af1e-6d2385300c5c">Re: 2nd wedding reception woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for the really great ideas!! I have been intimidated by this subject for some time now and after hearing these great ideas I am starting to think there may be hope!! Thanks again!
    Posted by scrappinbug03[/QUOTE]

Of course there's hope!  There are so many good options, scrappin.  I find good ideas on this board all the time.  Keep the faith!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards