Maine

Does this sound too old fashioned?

Because my mother passed away 3 years ago my FMIL has been going to my dress appointments with me. While picking out a veil she told me about how she wore her veil over her face while she walked done the aisle and before her father gave her away he lifted the veil. I thought this sounded very sweet and it seemed like a nice tradition so I opted to do the same. My sister and a couple other friends said it seemed too old fashioned and it would be silly to do it. Now I feel like everyone will think Im an idiot for wearing my veil that way.

Re: Does this sound too old fashioned?

• edited December 2011
    You can do whatever you want!  There are no "rules" about much of anything anymore.  If you want to have that moment with your dad, do NOT let anyone talk you out of it! 
    I also love that your FMIL is stepping in, it's so great that you have a positive relationship with her! 
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea and think it's wonderful. You should do it if you want.
  • edited December 2011

If you want to do it that way and you think it's sweet, it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it's too old fashioned.  Side note: this is precisely how I did it at my wedding and I'm really glad I did.

Knitting Blog
    Updated 3-12
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am more inclined to remember a serious, romantic ceremony  and I view the older traditions as very romantic, so I would definitely give it a thumbs up!  If your FMIL followed that tradition, it makes me wonder if your mom did too. :)
  • 2003HemiGirl2003HemiGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the same thing!  I know some people opt not to (my best friend opted to not even wear a veil) but I'm a traditionalist!  I love the idea and couldn't imagine my wedding without my dad walking me down the isle and lifting my veil!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I think traditional touches are very romantic and add something special to one's day. If you want to do it, you should. Other people have their own weddings to do what they want in- this is your wedding. Do what you want!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards