Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

A short dress?

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I really cannot picture myself in a full-length gown. I cannot wait to get my wedding dress but every gown I look at just seems less and less "me."

I have finally found a dress from my favorite label that I am head over heels with but I'm feeling like it might be wrong for a wedding because it is knee-length. I know the wedding day is about me and my husband to be, but I also don't want to be judged. He would really rather prefer that I wear a "real" wedding dress but I just feel silly. I feel absolutely beautiful in the shorter dress but I recognize the fact that it is not specifically made for a bride. Despite the shorter length, I definitely want a veil. Would this be ridiculous looking?

We are having a slightly informal saturday brunch reception at a local vineyard on September 10th. I also think that something too frilly would be too much, but I want to LOOK like a bride. I'm thinking that since my husband to be really wants a long gown on me, I need to dress to impress him. But I cannot help just how much I love this dress...

This is the dress: http://www.lillypulitzer.com/cocktail/evelyn-dress-texture/invt/82816/&bklist=icat,4,shop,ladiesdresses,lbd

Your opinions on if it is wedding appropriate is very appreciated!!
"It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: A short dress?

• Options
    The dress is beautiful! If it is more you.. why not go with it? If you were wearing a short birdcage veil or something short.. i cant see why it wouldnt look too bad..  but it would be something to try them on togeather to be sure!
    Sept 2011 Feb...
    imageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think since its an informal brunch reception your dress would be appropriate because a longer dress is a little more formal.....plus your dress is really nice!!! Now about what people think you know whatever you decide on anything people will always have something to say wether its nice or bad you will never be able to please everyone that day, thats why you should do things the way you want because you know in the future you wont regret your decisions since you made them based on what you wanted. I once saw a wedding in were a bride wore a similar dress to that one and she had one of those bridcage veils and it looked really nice and she looked like a bride ....i really dont think a longer veil would look nice. Or you could wear a long dress for the ceremony and wear your short one for the reception that way you please everyone including yourself!!!
  • Options
    I think your dress idea is lovely, and yes, it will look good with a veil.  There's a website called dolly couture that features a designer that only does short dresses.  You'll probably get some hair/veil ideas there.
  • Options

Especially when you're having an informal (daytime no less!) ceremony and reception, a short dress is eminently appropriate. And your FI probably just has an idea in his head of what a wedding is "supposed" to look like. Do you never wear long dresses? Maybe he's just wondering what you would look like in one. Or maybe he's just worried that everyone will be ogling your fantastic legs and he'll have to start his marraige by fending off competitors =)

Once you go walking down the aisle, he's not going to be paying attention to your sartorial choices anyway, and you should wear the dress you love. (Although, if you're willing to try on some more, I heard that David's Bridal has come out with a new line that has TWO skirts, one long for the ceremony and then you pull it off and there's a shorter one underneath for the reception!)

Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    Honestly - go with what your heart is telling you. And if you want to win over your FI show him pictures of a few brides in short dresses. He might not exactly get what you mean. I'm sure once he sees the look you're going for, he'll love it. 
  • Options
    The Lilly Pulitzer dress is absolutely gorgeous, and for an informal afternoon wedding you could definitely pull it off and make it look more bridal.  If you're stuck on the idea of a veil, a shorter one would be best.  I'm picturing no veil, but with some sort of jeweled ornamentation in your hair.  And I'd go with some outrageously bridal shoes to up the bride quotient.

The other possibility, as some previous poster mentioned, is to go with a long dress for the ceremony and change into the short dress for the reception.
  • Options
    Hopefully everyone knows that you pick a wedding dress because it feels perfect for you! I'm sure there will be one in every crowd who thinks "hmm, not what I'd pick," regardless of whether it's long or short, white or ivory, what-have-you. It's a really cute dress, and if you love it, you should definitely go for it.

Also, I bet once you have a bouquet and a veil (love the thought of a birdcage with that dress), you'll look more "bridal" (in the traditional sense).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27
  • Options
    I think it's a gorgeous dress and does look "bride-y" to me. A birdcage veil or some other sort of headpiece would look great with it. Especially for an earlier, informal wedding I think this would be great. Go with what makes YOU feel gorgeous and don't worry about what your guests will say (when it comes to things like accomodations, food, making your guests comfortable, that is one thing, but your dress has nothing to do with making them comfortable, so go with what you love).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Your post really made me giggle! Thank you! Sometimes it's hard to just be light hearted throughout all of the stress of planning. I think the idea that he is stuck in what a bride *should* look like is completely right. I have only ever worn one "maxi" dress in my life and he told me that it did nothing for my figure... yet another reason I want to keep it short. Maybe I just have to try on a few more dresses but the idea of a GOWN in the morning, outside and in a barn, just seems excessive. Ugh... I'm contemplating just buying this dress and trying to warm him up to it, and worst case scenario wearing it for the reception or during our rehearsal. I guess we will see.. You ladies really know how to help :) THANK YOU!
  • Options
    To make this that much difficult, the dress is listed on the website at $328 and I went into the store today and it's on sale for $99!!!!! And guess what: I have a gift card for $100! It's like it was fate for me to get this dress. Showed the dress to my fiance in person and he agreed it was gorgeous and then said "but not a wedding dress." I wanted to try it on`and show him just how gorgeous it is, but I can't stand the idea of him seeing me in it first but then again, I wish I never showed him and that he'd just have to be wowed on our wedding day. I'm honestly contemplating just running into the mall tomorrow and buying it and at least keeping it "just in case"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards