Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Where to include music in the ceremony?

I am in the midst of writing our wedding ceremony, and J mentioned that if I could fit it, he would really like to have someone sing something.  Where does this "fit"?  Between readings, vows, lighting candles?  I'm at a loss.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where to include music in the ceremony?

• That is a great idea.  You are awesome =]

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also disagree with singing during the candle part.  Most songs run 2-3 minutes.  The candle lighting part lasts about 30-45 seconds.  So for the rest of the song, you're standing awkwardly, wondering where to look or what to do.

I'm a church organist, and I usually play a piece that I can gracefully bring to an end when the couple is done lighting and has stepped back.

I'd recommend a song before the service starts, OR immediately after your vows.  Another possibility is, if it's a church wedding, to have an arrangement of the Lord's Prayer sung in that spot, rather than having the congregation say it. 

If it's a Catholic ceremony, and you're giving flowers to the Blessed Mother, you can have a song during that, or during communion.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We have two songs, and they will be taking the place of readings, which we're not doing at all.
  • I will have two songs sung before... one before anything happens, and another is what my parents granparents, and friends walk too. I will also have another one after we light the unity candle, me and shane will be kneeling twoards one another while a song is sung.

• We are having a close friend sing a song for us at our ceremony. At first we were going to have them sing while we light the candles and then sign the registry, however after some thought, we decided that we would like to be able to sit down and actually listen to the song that our friend has prepared for us. This can fit in at any point, we were thinking right before or right after the message.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards