Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?

Hi,
We just got engaged on New Years Eve. Exciting I know. But now here comes the stressful stuff. We currently live in NYC but will be relocating to Dallas (Plano) by the end of this year. We are trying to plan a wedding for next year haven't set the date yet. Maybe April or October. But I am having a hard time figuring out where to have it at. I have looked at places online and called some places. We would like to get the most for our money. Our budget for everything all included is around 10-15K. Everything I have found so far is really nice and out of our budget or its in our budget and we either dont like it or dont LOVE it. We want something that is not 100% DIY as we just dont have the time to do everything. But I dont mind doing some things.  I was wondering if you ladies had any good recomendations. I know it is still early to book a venue but I want to get idea's now that way I am not rushing when it is too late. We plan on flying to Dallas to look at places later this month and also we will be coming in April. This month is just for a weekend but April is for a week so I would like to have some things lined up by then! Again thanks for all of your help!!! Laughing

Re: New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?

• Options
    Congrats on your engagement!  Are you talking about getting married in October or April of 2014?  First, we have a great vendor sticky at the top of the page.

Here are the things you need to consider before you can really get a good idea what venue might work....

What kind of venue do you want?  Hotel?  Barn?  Indoor?  Outdoor?  Ceremony and reception?  Or just reception?

How many guests are you thinking?  You probably want to get an idea of your guest list before you pick a venue, since that will limit your choices. 

Are you wanting a traditional Saturday night reception?  Or are you more flexible about time and date?  I am saving a LOT by having a brunch, so that will certainly impact your budget. 

Also, do you want to be in Dallas proper?  Or are you open to suburban areas?  Or even out in the country?

I think a 15k budget is reasonable here and you should be able to find something you like, but it depends on what your priorities are. :) Happy planning! 

P.S. - Dallas is a great place to live, I think.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to help answer my post. We are looking at 2014 and we are wanting to keep it between 100-120 people. As far as where it is in the Dallas area it doesn't really matter. My new in-laws currently live in Plano. We even talked about going to Ft.Worth. We are looking for a hotel, country club, or just a really nice venue. Nothing too far out in the country. And nothing too Country. My FI was raised in NYC so he isn't really into the country stuff. I can not see him agreeing to a barn. I was trying to talk him into a vineyard but he won't budge. I guess he is kind of a groomzilla. lol. So far I have called Avanti at Fountain Place which after they sent me the proposal I think it might be out of my budget. Also we like The Colleyville center but I am worried that it might be a little bit too much DIY. They said they provide the tables and chairs but that is it. I also called Glamour Hall and the owner was really sweet but I'm not sure about that place. My FI isn't crazy about it. She said they are opening up a new place in about another month so maybe we can look at that. I am waiting to hear back from the Sheraton and the Omni Hotel. Originally we were wanting to have a traditional Church or Chapel wedding but now we are thinking about doing it all in a one stop shop. Bella Donna I love but I'm not sure where we could have the reception there that would be close. I called them to see if they have a reception place there with the chapel but I haven't heard back from them. We are wanting a Saturday evening just because we will have a lot of people coming from out of town.
     Thanks again for your imput!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    McKinney Country Club maybe? A country club will have lower FB minimumsyou will be hard pressed to find a hotel on a Saturday night on that budget assuming that is for the entire wedding and not just venue snd FB. Reflections on Spring Creek could be an option. I think Avanti might be too small for 100. I think most Bella Donna brides use Stonebridge CC for the reception.
  • Options

Maybe look at the Addison Event Center.  It looks really pretty, and their prices look reasonable....not too DIY either.  Addison is much more urban and also closer to Plano than Colleyville is.   The McKinney venues stephiehall mentioned might be good, too.  You might also contact the Magnolia Hotel downtown....their prices are very reasonable, and their coordinator is awesome. 

I haven't heard of Glamour Hall...

There are many beautiful hotels in uptown and downtown, but I think their F&B minimum will be too high for your budget on a Saturday night.  If you are willing to consider a brunch wedding, you could get into a lot more venues in your budget.  Just a thought.  We are having a brunch and were able to afford a beautiful hotel that normally has a F&B minimum for a Saturday night that is almost as much as our entire budget!  A brunch is not for everyone, though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ladies,
    Thanks again for your help! Laura from Omni Hotel called me today and I have a appointment to meet up with her. Very excited. The FB min is with in our budget for our date so we are very excited about that! Also I sent the Magnolia Hotel a request so I am waiting to hear back from them.
    Again Thanks for all of your imput!
  • Options
    I had a friend get married at the Hall of State at the fairgrounds, and it was great. And you can have the ceremony there as well. Really beautiful old building. Good Luck! And welcome to Dallas!
  • Options
    The Hall of State looks nice as well! However I called and their number was disconnected.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-to-dallas-looking-for-a-venue-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:93176950-5355-4e03-aa5f-38e6a99c32e4Post:5d4f5dc1-0d7d-4581-8c1e-fde4f5a4cbd5">Re: New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Hall of State looks nice as well! However I called and their number was disconnected.
    Posted by nicolelee202[/QUOTE]

I didn't suggest it because there is another thread down the page where a Knottie really liked it but it was out of her budget and her budget is the same as yours.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-to-dallas-looking-for-a-venue-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:93176950-5355-4e03-aa5f-38e6a99c32e4Post:74674ff7-64cb-4ce8-8dfa-355c3fe6cafe">Re: New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!? : I didn't suggest it because there is another thread down the page where a Knottie really liked it but it was out of her budget and her budget is the same as yours.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

That was me. I loved the hall of state but when I looked, while the fb seemed reasonable, there were a bunch of other costs that added up. It ended up being quoted at close to 16k. (for a Sunday) I was really sad because i couldn't spend my whole budget on that, I'd still need flowers, dj, cake, photographer, dress, invitations, etc. Etc.

If I ever magically came into money I'd book it haha.

I'm curious though for the original poster, when I looked into the omni, I was quoted around 8k for a sunday. So that seemed too much when I still needed other things, not just food and beverage. Did you get something more reasonable?
  • Options
    nicolelee202nicolelee202 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Omni quoted us 8k f&b on a saturday night. We are actually going to look at it next Saturday. We will be flying to Dallas next weekend to look at some places. We are also going to check out the Magnolia and their f&b min is 9k. My FI said that is ok. He is willing to pay a little extra to have a nice venue. We really like the package that the Omni sent us. If we go with the Omni the only extras we will have is Dress, Photography, Flowers... mabe  1 or 2 more.
  • Options

Also keep in mind. Whatever they offer you is always negotiable. When the Omni told us their f&b min. They said they were willing to negotiate when we asked.

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Also keep in mind that your venue/F&B/alcohol is your largest cost.  There are ways to save in the other areas also.  And a hotel like the Omni is going to include things like linens, chairs, etc. That being said, an $8K minimum will most likely mean you are at the upper end of your budget ($15k) when it's all said and done.  You're not going to come in under $10K when most of that is your venue, obviously. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-to-dallas-looking-for-a-venue-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:93176950-5355-4e03-aa5f-38e6a99c32e4Post:2080cd65-a0fa-4796-b2d0-39804510b55c">Re: New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Omni quoted us 8k f&b on a saturday night. We are actually going to look at it next Saturday. We will be flying to Dallas next weekend to look at some places. We are also going to check out the Magnolia and their f&b min is 9k. My FI said that is ok. He is willing to pay a little extra to have a nice venue. We really like the package that the Omni sent us. If we go with the Omni the only extras we will have is Dress, Photography, Flowers... mabe  1 or 2 more.

Are you talking about the main omni downtown or one of the satellite ones?
  • Options
    We are going on Saturday to look at Omni Park West and Omni Mandalay at Las Colinas. They both have the same F&B mins. We are thinking about going with them because everything is pretty much included except for the DJ and Photographer. They obviously have tables,chairs, linens, staff ect... They are even throwing in a free center pieces, wedding cake and a honeymoon suite for the bride and groom. The package that my FI and I looked at is about 11k which is fine. That includes open bar for 3 hours. We are willing to up the budget to 20k so that we dont have so much to stress about. I like that they do pretty much everything and are willing to give us a discounted rate on rooms for our guest. We will be having a majority of our guest flying in from out of town. So this should be less stress on the guest as well. No rental car needed. They are even willing to set up transportation to and from the airport for our guest.  
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-to-dallas-looking-for-a-venue-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:93176950-5355-4e03-aa5f-38e6a99c32e4Post:d05a0af9-2b12-46af-b3e5-614bb8069333">New to Dallas. Looking for a venue. Help please!?!?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, We just got engaged on New Years Eve. Exciting I know. But now here comes the stressful stuff. We currently live in NYC but will be relocating to Dallas (Plano) by the end of this year. We are trying to plan a wedding for next year haven't set the date yet. Maybe April or October. But I am having a hard time figuring out where to have it at. I have looked at places online and called some places. We would like to get the most for our money. Our budget for everything all included is around 10-15K. Everything I have found so far is really nice and out of our budget or its in our budget and we either dont like it or dont LOVE it. We want something that is not 100% DIY as we just dont have the time to do everything. But I dont mind doing some things.  I was wondering if you ladies had any good recomendations. I know it is still early to book a venue but I want to get idea's now that way I am not rushing when it is too late. We plan on flying to Dallas to look at places later this month and also we will be coming in April. This month is just for a weekend but April is for a week so I would like to have some things lined up by then! Again thanks for all of your help!!!

Iam not getting married, but I met with the events people at the Omniand she was great.  Their room are beautiful.  Howeve,what ade me choose someone else was the fact that your guests will have to pay for valet parking if they don't want to look for a parking space on the street. They offered no discount for my guests.  $25 is a bit much to ask my guests to pay for parking while at the Omnhi. Or, you can pay f it is in your budget!.
  • Options
    The great thing is that with your budget you have quite a few options here in DFW! Check some of these venues out:

*809 at Vickery might be the perfect compromise between you and your husband. It has a modern, urban feel, yet rustic and you have the option of holding the ceremony outside.
    The Ashton Depot
    *The City Club of Fort Worth
    *Bass Hall
    *Cendera Center
    *Artiside Event and Conference Center
    *Royal Affairs Ballroom in Lewisville
    *Arlington Hall at Lee Park
    *Feragne Villa Wedding and Event Center

I think anyone of these would be perfect!
  • Options
    Bingham House might also be a great place (if you haven't already chosen one). Very budget friendly, the lady who runs/owns it is flexible on things and it isn't too country either. 

How did the Omni in Las Colinas end up going? I've been sort of in the same boat as you. We want to try and stick around the dfw immediate area if we can, I am okay with some minor DIY but our budget is probably $10k-$12k with about 100 guests max I believe.

• Options
    aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Venetian Terrace is a venue close to the Omni Las Colinas that has a bit of a vineyard/Italian feel. You can take the gondola to the Omni as your getaway which is kind of neat. example here

You might also check the Room on Main, Nuvo Room (click), Aloft Dallas (hotel chain owned by W Hotels in downtown), Orion Ballroom, the Venue at 400 North Ervay. 

Some of the mentions above like Magnolia and Stonebridge CC for Bella Donna are great. You might also check out the Grand Hotel in McKinney as another Reception venue for Bella Donna. 
  • Options
    We had our wedding at Reflections on Spring Creek in Plano last May and can't say enough wonderful things about them.  The space is beautiful, though we were initially a little turned off by the blue walls.  I have to say that it looked really nice with all the lighting and decor, though.  They have a very pretty outdoor space ,and indoor chapel, and a reception hall all right there for you.  Food was extremely tasty and reasonably priced -- we had far more food than our guests could eat!  We also used part of $3500 food/beverage minimum to have over a $1000 bar tab for our guests, which we didn't use all of.  The rental of all the parts of the facility, 6 hours of time (including 2 hours of prep time we added on), a day-of coordinator, all food (appetizers and a huge main meal), waitstaff, alcohol and drinks, taxes and gratuities was $7100 for a Friday evening.  With a DJ, wonderful photographers, flowers, attire, cakes, etc. we were just under $12,000.

I HIGHLY recommend them.  If you'd like any additional information, just let me know.  Our guests gave the venue and the food rave reviews!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sorry, we budgeted for 95 guests at the wedding and that was our total cost in my post above for that amount of people. :)
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was in a wedding last weekend at Event 1013 in Plano and it was great! I think their overall budget was 18K, but they had a lot of extras and decor. I don't know exactly what the venue cost, but I think you could probably do 15K.

Also, I would imagine a lot of places for April next year are already booking up. April is a very popular month in Texas, as it's not super hot yet. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    A friend told me about Fairy Tale Manor and when I looked at them... I fell in love!!!! You might take a look at them as well. They are in McKinney and they have a FB page as well. Congrats!!! 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses ladies! Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on this site in a while. We have decided to push our move to Dallas back a few years So now we are planning a wedding at home here in NYC. Our wedding budget just went up in price 4x lol. but planning a wedding in a city I wasn't familiar with was just too stressful. I do look forward to moving to Plano in the future :) Thank you for all the advice and happy planning! 
  • Options
    Go to www.themilestone.com. It is a great venue and should be within your budget. They are in Denton.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards