Maine

Long Shot Question

rin89rin89 member
First Comment First Anniversary
We have been planning to do our own catering for the reception. I know it's crazy and stressful but we have pretty much no budget for something like that.  But just for the heck of it I thought I'd ask you ladies if you knew of anyone in the Bangor area that could cater a reception for about 100 people for $200 or less?  I know it's a long shot and after looking around online at prices I'm pretty sure we're going to do it ourselves, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  Thanks ladies!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Long Shot Question

• I've seen people on here mention ordering pasta trays from Pizza Hut.  Their site lists a family size tray for $13.00.  I'm not sure how many adults one tray feeds.  You could make salads and rolls to round out the meal.

You won't have the catering staff, but you also wouldn't have to do most of the labor.
  • Wow, what can you possibly get for $2 per person? 
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_long-shot-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:da9aa90d-1b08-4272-bff6-bbdc716c2193Post:b9ffbc99-0d12-4c7d-a275-d637c6d1f6ce">Re: Long Shot Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, what can you possibly get for $2 per person? 
    Posted by chibilex[/QUOTE]

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  Even if you buy/prepare everything, I can't begin to figure out what you'd be buying for under $200 that would feed 100 people.  When we host parties for 8-10 friends, we spend close to $200 on food!

If you haven't planned the smaller details of your wedding yet, I would suggest having your wedding at a time of day when a full meal won't be anticipated by your guests.  Time of day dictates many things for a wedding, including the amount of food served.  A late morning/early afternoon wedding with a simple brunch menu or h'orderves and cake would be inexpensive to do and a reasonable option.  A late afternoon/early evening wedding with finger foods in place of dinner would be poor etiquette. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Could you just do a cake and champagne reception? A friend of mine did "cupcakes and champagne" in her back yard and it was SO fun and cute. It was mid-morning on a Sunday, so no one was really expecting a full meal or anything. You could serve mimosas with Andre (it's like $5 a bottle or something). 
  • rin89rin89 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Whoops, I forgot to mention that we are not doing a full sit down meal.  We're doing a light lunch/tea time buffet.  Both set's of parents have done catering and everyone does a lot of baking/cooking from scratch.  We were planning on having some finger sandwiches, potato and/or pasta salad, veggies and dip, crackers and cheese, and some little desserts.  On top of having a small buffet, my FFIL works for Country Kitchen so all of the bread will be free. And we're not having any alcohol. I knew there was pretty much no chance of finding a caterer within our tiny budget, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Because of our budget $5000, we're doing a lot of DIY projects. I was just looking to see if there was something I could cross off of the list.  Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just out of curiosity. . . . my budget is about the same as yours, but I am spending about $2,300 for a sit down catered meal. What is so expensive in the rest of your budget?? Just wondering. . . 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards