Honeymoon Discussions

Dublin, Ireland

So not for our honeymoon but we are headed to Dublin next month for the Notre Dame/Navy game! There will be a total of 8 of us going and all of our first time. We have a total of 5 full days there but the game is one day so I'd really like to see the good stuff the first 3 days we are there. Anyone have any "must sees" that I can't google myself? Would love some recs! Thanks

more info- I've looked into the hopon/off bus, and am very interested. Would love to know if it's worth it. And we're most likely staying right in the Dublin area. We're not really interested in full day trips to other areas, at least for this trip
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dublin, Ireland

• I have been there and I loved it!  It is well worth taking the hop on hop off bus, the pass is good for 24 hours.  Trinity College is beautiful, and that is where the Book of Kells is located.  There are other small museums around that area, most by donation (buut may be different now, I was there 7 years ago).  Guinness Brewery is neat, and the so is the Jameson Distillery.  As for the nightlife, I recommed asking the locals which bars/pubs they go to.  We did that and had fun.  We were the only Americans in there, but everyone is friendly, and they sing all thses Irish songs.  We stayed away from Temple Bar, since it is mostly tourists.  We only did two days there, and then travled the rest of the country,  Dublin can use a week to itself.  Dublin is a nice city, and the locals are very friendly.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • I'm intersted to see what others post; we're going to Dublin briefly (2 nights) in October.

Currently on my list of things to see/do/visit for consideration (although these are pretty much from Google/pinterest/guidebooks so probably stuff you've seen):

-Temple Bar
    -Guinness Brewery(view from the Gravity Bar is supposed to be amazing)
    -Grafton Street for shopping
    -St. Stephen's Green (park located near Grafton St)

Trip Advisor's list of attractions: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186605-Activities-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Here's an interesting article from NY Times on how to spend 36 hours in Dublin: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/travel/13hours.html

Please come back and post about your trip!!
  • Agree w/ Guiness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery. The Kilmainham Gaol tour was interesting and worth seeing, IMO.

Oh, and Dublin cab drivers - friendliest people I've ever encountered. The are happy to have tourists there to help the struggling economy.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I agree with Grafton Street and Guiness!

When I went there with some college friends, we took a literary pub crawl.  We learned a lot about some cute pubs (pictures on the walls, history of the places) and how they related to literature.  They had a few other themed walking pub crawls so don't be be put off the literary-ness - you can do something else!  We got a bit drunk since we felt the need to drink half pints in every bar.  I also won some Jameson at the end.  Our hostel hated us on a Sunday night when we got back at 12am :-)
  • I recommend renting a car and traveling outside of Dublin for a day.  We stayed in Ireland years ago and found 3 nights in Dublin to be plenty.  I actually liked touring the countryside and seeing the sights outside of Dublin more!
  • Thanks for the replies! We'll definitely do the hop on/off bus tour. We're actually staying smack in the middle of Temple Bar so many things I've looked up are walkable too which is nice. Being the Notre Dame/Navy game, I know the city will be filled with Americans but I'm really hoping to still get that authentic feel. Maybe we'll have time to explore an outside area one of the days. I'll share updates when we get back! Thanks girls :o)

Oh! One more question- did you find things expensive? Wondering about how much spending money to bring. No meals are included with our stay. I've googled specific menus and looked at prices. Of course them having the euro throws an added expense in, but would you think $100-150/day to budget for would be a decent amount? I'm an anxious traveler if you haven't already picked up on that Lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    Guinness Brewery is a tourist trap.

For the part of our HM that we spent on the eastern side of the country, our favorite part was Kilkenny - especially staying at Butler House.  You can take the train here.  It is a weekend getaway city for Dubliners (though the size is that of an American town).  It is a great place to relax and you have Kilkenny Castle, Medieval churches, good food and the Smithwick's Brewery tour that is actually good.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_dublin-ireland?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:695526eb-d3aa-4538-b6c7-3b6335a5e9d8Post:52b74122-c6f0-4aea-bbe9-afb13b4edae1">Re: Dublin, Ireland</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guinness Brewery is a tourist trap. For the part of our HM that we spent on the eastern side of the country, our favorite part was Kilkenny - especially staying at Butler House.  You can take the train here.  It is a weekend getaway city for Dubliners (though the size is that of an American town).  It is a great place to relax and you have Kilkenny Castle, Medieval churches, good food and the Smithwick's Brewery tour that is actually good.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
    Yay, glad to hear this!  We're staying in Kilkenny one night of our trip!
  • I really liked the Hop On Hop Off Bus tour. The Wax Museum was also really cool (they have Harry Potter!) H and I also took a day trip to County Wicklow which was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We landed in Balfast and visited Giants Causeway first. It is beautiful and amazing! I definitely recommend it. From there we went to Donegal and stayed near the water. It was really idyllic, there were sheep everywhere and rolling hills! Then we visited Belfast a bit, we have a friend in Hillsborough. Then Dublin, Guiness Brewery is a torist trap, but the view from the bar at the top of the tour is beautiful and worth it IMO. We ate at the Gallagher Boxty House in Temple Bar and it was delicious. Definitely get an Irish coffee there after dinner. Not surprisingly it was the best I've ever had! Then we went to Wicklow for a friend's wedding. If you spend time driving around, it is so scenic everywhere in Ireland. Wicklow was beautiful, but we got lost a few times. The roads aren't clearly marked so definitely pay attention to landmarks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I go there almost every year to see family

Here are my thoughts
    -- staying in temple bar is great b/c everything is accessible BUT make sure and leave the area otherwise you will be surrounded by all americans, all the time. 
    -- the hop on hop off is an amazing deal to see a lot of the town, especially the parks and churches right outside city center
    -- personally i dont think the Guinness tour is worth it; yes there is an amazing view of the city from the bar (and you get a free draught) but overall it is a tourist trap.
    -- make sure to go to some of the local pubs - Mulligan's is my favorite (in town, but down a side street...make sure to look it up).  one of the oldest in the city and just a chill environment.  If you are looking for nightlife w the locals, head to a place called the Church, which exactly what it sounds like -- an old church that has been renovated to a club.
    -- if you are spending time in Killkenny, make sure to go to the castle; probably my favorite in all of ireland as well as St Mary's.   there are some amazing hand knits there as well.  There is a shop on castle rock road that i buy from every time i am there
    -- in dublin, make sure and eat from a real chipper.  you are most likely to get this outside of city center, but it's worth it!

Hope that helps
  • Thanks for all your suggestions! I will look into as many of these places as possible. We are getting very excited! 26 days to go :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards