Registry and Gift Forum

XP: How much to register for?

I am struggling with the number of items to register for- we are currently registered at BBB and Pottery Barn, with a majority of the items at BBB.

For the wedding, we have 230 people invited. I am guessing there are about 50-60 invited to the shower. This guest count is courtesy of massive Italian families on both sides :)

We have registered for 136 items at BBB and 65 items at Pottery Barn, making the total 201. It seems like a lot to me, but my mom pointed out that a lot of the items on my BBB registry are in the $5-$10 dollar range... FI wanted OXO cooking tools, etc. We have a few big ticket items, but not many. Most things are scattered in the $20-$70 range.

I noticed on a lot of registry pages that it says that to determine the number of items to register for, add up the number of people invited to the wedding and shower and then multiply that by at least 2. That makes it seem like I didn't register for nearly enough gifts.

Is this suggestion correct? I know it is a statement by the stores that want more business so they want you to register for as much as possible.

Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

Re: XP: How much to register for?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_xp-how-much-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5c8f5c4c-5b5d-4c0a-97c2-b412913a2f84Post:8cece03b-49b1-4961-9ac2-fa621b18d853">Re:XP: How much to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When you say 201 items, does that count each item that you want multiples of as one, or does it include the total number requested of those such items? For example, are place settings being counted as one, or twelve?
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

Thats including multiples- the place settings are being counted as 10 seperate items.
  • If there are more things that you want, then register for them, but don't feel obligated to register for like 500 things. Are there any other big ticket items that you want? Don't be afraid to put them on there. OR, if you'd like, wait until you're close to your shower date to add more items if you so desire.

I recently went to a wedding with a $300 fan on the registry. I couldnt' afford it as my gift, so I gave a gc to the store so they can finish their registry; I know several others who gave a gc as well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    A lot does depend on your circle and traditions in your families.

In my area, showers are ONLY for gift-wrapped physical gifts. It's really, really uncommon for a guest at a shower to give cash or a giftcard. If the bride's registry is depleted, most people will then bring a gift they think she'd like/need. Hence why one of my friends got three (yes, 3) George Foreman grills at her shower because she had a too-small registry without a variety of price ranges.
  • OP, I would probably add a bit more.  Keep in mind a few things: first, shower gifts are usually smaller than wedding gifts.  Second, nobody will buy you one potholder - things like that get purchased in sets.  Third, families usually give a single gift from the whole group for the wedding.

We have invited 315 to our wedding with 20 to the shower.  Despite the large number of people invited to our wedding, we really have more like 125 actual invitations going out.  Plus 20 more invitations for my shower.  So that's about 145-150 things or sets of things that we can anticipate getting (my circle tends to do boxed gifts for both the shower and the wedding).

We registered for about 275 items for that group.  Some are small and will be bought in sets, some are rather large and may be purchased as a group gift, but for the most part it should be enough to cover all the invitations that are being sent out, plus have some breathing room so people have options.  The reality is that most people don't buy a gift they themselves dislike, so options are always good and help avoid the 3 forman grill story PP posted about above.

That's our strategy - still too early to tell how well it is going to work, but I think it will be about right for our group.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IMHO, just register for what you want/need and then register for a store gift card (BBB allows this).  It's been my experience from friends who are already married that you'll likely have a lot of guests who don't buy from the registry anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_xp-how-much-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5c8f5c4c-5b5d-4c0a-97c2-b412913a2f84Post:0a734458-6b33-4f84-952f-43cc2b9ad6bf">Re: XP: How much to register for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, I would probably add a bit more.  Keep in mind a few things: first, shower gifts are usually smaller than wedding gifts.  Second, nobody will buy you one potholder - things like that get purchased in sets.  Third, families usually give a single gift from the whole group for the wedding. We have invited 315 to our wedding with 20 to the shower.  Despite the large number of people invited to our wedding, we really have more like 125 actual invitations going out.  Plus 20 more invitations for my shower.  So that's about 145-150 things or sets of things that we can anticipate getting (my circle tends to do boxed gifts for both the shower and the wedding). We registered for about 275 items for that group.  Some are small and will be bought in sets, some are rather large and may be purchased as a group gift, but for the most part it should be enough to cover all the invitations that are being sent out, plus have some breathing room so people have options. Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

This is really good perspective.  I thought my regsitries were growing their own heads at 100+ items for 150 invites going out total..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    J + A [4-15-13] + JJ [1-22-14] 
  • edited February 2013
    These days with many couples having an outfitted home prior to marriage it's hard to register for "enough". I'm having a similar issue so I've decided to add a few "pretty" things I wouldn't really ask for outside of this occasion, plus some of my crowd have asked me out right whether we'd prefer gifts or cash. In which case we say cash and hope it gets around without having to ask outright and feel tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards