Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Ice Cream Buffett

For any brides that had an ice cream Buffett do you think it was worth the expense?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ice Cream Buffett

• Options
    I can't speak for an ice cream buffet, but we did a candy buffet and a dessert table. People went CRAZY about it! Not many people honestly want to eat wedding cake, so we thought it would be fun, but it's been over a year and people still bring it up to us. 
    Ice cream would be really tricky since it melts.. but if you're considering something like that, I think it's worth it. 
  • Options
    We did gelato and cake pops, pricey but guests loved it.  We didn't have to worry about melting as there was a gelato cart and someone scooping
  • Options

Sounds like a creative idea. You know your guest list and what people would appreciate. I know it would be a waste of money with my crowd.

• Options
    I went to a wedding with an ice cream buffet.  However, by the time it came everyone was so stuffed from cocktail hour, dinner, and cake that it really went to waste.  If you are ding this instead of other dessert and not having a ton of food outside of the main meal, it might be more worth it.
  • Options
    I'm not getting married until March, but we're having an ice cream bar. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, and everyone I've told about it seems really excited, too. We also have a selection of cookie trays and a sherbet selection for those who can't do dairy or don't like ice cream. 

The price around here (we live in suburban Baltimore but this vendor is based closer to DC) was comparable or a little less than some of the cupcake and cake quotes we were quoted. Neither of us really like cake, so it was a no brainer for us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_ice-cream-buffett?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:39c17636-094b-4624-bc33-423cbbf43c3cPost:17ec5784-e09f-42a3-91be-9f41cfece2e1">Re: Ice Cream Buffett</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not getting married until March, but we're having an ice cream bar. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, and everyone I've told about it seems really excited, too. We also have a selection of cookie trays and a <strong>sherbet selection for those who can't do dairy </strong>or don't like ice cream.  The price around here (we live in suburban Baltimore but this vendor is based closer to DC) was comparable or a little less than some of the cupcake and cake quotes we were quoted. Neither of us really like cake, so it was a no brainer for us. 
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sherbet has dairy- less than ice cream, but it is not a non-dairy option.  Sorbet is dairy-free.</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_ice-cream-buffett?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:39c17636-094b-4624-bc33-423cbbf43c3cPost:66432157-c43b-4cb0-904b-ffb1ee1da5d2">Re: Ice Cream Buffett</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ice Cream Buffett : Sherbet has dairy- less than ice cream, but it is not a non-dairy option.  Sorbet is dairy-free.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I was just gonna say.. </div><div>This time a 100. </div><div>
    </div><div>Please rethink sherbert if your goal is to be considerate to non-dairy eaters. People like myself get super annoyed when every says, "oh it's fine.. you can have it. It's sherbert".  nope. Nope, I can't. But thaks for telling me what you think is ok.  :P</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    We were thinking of doing something like Coldstone where they mix it in front of the guests so we wouldn't have to worry about anything melting. The only dessert we are serving is cake. My FI & I both love ice cream but I'm wondering how that would mix with dancing and drinking?

We could also add a scoop of ice cream to be served with cake at no additional charge so might go that route. Most ice cream places are asking around $500 so I'm not sure its worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_ice-cream-buffett?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:39c17636-094b-4624-bc33-423cbbf43c3cPost:f1af646b-3377-41cd-9ce6-b3cb2d1a6672">Re: Ice Cream Buffett</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ice Cream Buffett : I was just gonna say..  This time a 100.  Please rethink sherbert if your goal is to be considerate to non-dairy eaters. People like myself get super annoyed when every says, "oh it's fine.. you can have it. It's sherbert".  nope. Nope, I can't. But thaks for telling me what you think is ok.  :P
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>This made me go back and check my contract. It is sorbet, not sherbet. I've always used them interchangeably so now I know! </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh yay :) 

• Options
    Our caterer is doing a sundae bar along with the cake.  We expect most guests to have a sundae and a slice of cake.  Small sundae small slice, or whatever. There will be plenty of food. 

The chef is going to mix ice cream ON SITE  - they blend cold custard with liquid nitrogen in front of the guests and it instantly transforms into a Ben -n- Jerry's consistency ice cream. 

We're offering 4 flavors -

Cinnamon
    Dutch Cocoa
    French Vanilla &
    Lemon Custard (not sorbet)

The sundae bar will have 10 toppings -

marshmallow sauce
    raspberry sauce
    hot fudge
    hot caramel
    andies candies
    mini reeses cups
    chantilly cream
    candied pecans
    gold and blue jimmies (wedding colors)
    cherries

Because we are having 6 cake  choices, as well as this, we know our lactose intolerant guests will still have delicous dessert choices.

And yes - it is disgustingly extreme - but - it's a once-in-a-lifetime excess, and it's totally in keeping with my fiance and I.  We're definitely dessert people!

I think because it's on the menu, the website, and people will talk beforehand, people SHOULD be able to plan their night so as to save room for dessert, regardless of the appetizers, cocktails, and dinner.
  • Options
    My wedding was almost 2 weeks ago and we decided to skip the ice cream bar and I'm so glad we did. Each guest was served a slice of cake with a scoop of ice cream. By this time most people were pretty buzzed/drunk so the ice cream would of just gone to waste. Everyone was too busy dancing to really enjoy it. I'm so glad we skipped it, it would of just been a waste of money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards