Maine
Options

Portland Venue Ideas

Hi Ladies,
I am looking for thoughts/advice on wedding venues in Portland, ME.  My fiance and I have stayed at Eastland Park a few times and looked at the ballroom.  I'd prefer something on the water.  We'd also like to do our ceremony on the water.  We are from Boston, so aren't familiar with the area.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Portland Venue Ideas

• Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are two venues that are out on Peaks Island that would definitely have you getting married on the water (Jones Landing and Inn on Peaks Island).   DiMillo's is another option (FFIL had his wedding there a few years ago).  The Portland Company on the East End also has three different spaces and I know some of them have water views of Casco Bay. Those rooms are very rustic though and are, in my opinion, the exact opposite of what you might find in a ballroom. 

In South Portland, Southern Maine Community College hosts ceremonies and receptions over by the Spring Point Lighthouse.  Fort Williams Park/Portland Headlight is also an option for a ceremony, but unless you plan on having a dry reception, a reception there isn't an option.  I am having my ceremony there.

Most of those places all have the option of having the ceremony and reception in the same place.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Inn on Peaks Island is gorgeous but they are tent reception only.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I found a great place out in raymond, it's only half an hour away from Portland, called Kingsley Pines. It's actually a camp but it has a lot of possibilities for a wedding. It also sits right on a lake and should it rain there are indoor spaces to utilize- I also really liked how rustic it was and since we are getting married next October I would be able to make it fit with my theme.

They also have some great caterers on their list. I've really enjoyed working with The Blue Elephant so far. Most of the photos on their website are from the Blue Elephant's weddings I believe and though we haven't made our final decision yet I'm very impressed. 

Good luck!  
  • Options
    lindylou79lindylou79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I looked at Portland Company and really like the looks of the rooms, leaning away from ballroom setting.  I am just nervous about having to coordinate all the vendors.  I love the looks of Peaks Island but heard that the ferry system isn't that easy to use?  Any thoughts?
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a coworker/friend who lives out there...uses it twice a day.  My guess is that the biggest challenge of having a wedding out there would be the timing of the ferry and making sure people knew they needed to be out there at a certain time.

I just went into FI's email to see if he still had the info from the Portland Company but he deleted it. They were very quick to reply when we contacted them for more information.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you've decided on where you'll be having it yet, but my fiance and I are having our reception at Mariner's Church Hall. The site is right in the Old Port, on the fourt floor of a bldg and has great big windows. Perfect for our daytime wedding. We've also decided to rent out the billiards room which is beneath the reception site. The billiards room is really pretty.It's the perfect location, they do all of the cooking and it's affordable. The only thing I am not terribly excited about is the color scheme of the space.
  • Options
    jmarcisso1jmarcisso1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards