June 2012 Weddings
Options

Dress shopping?

So, our wedding dates are quite a time from now, but have any of you started thinking about dresses yet? Until recently I just wanted to go check out shops to get ideas, but now I have urges to seriously begin the hunt! Is it too soon? I feel as though I should wait because of wanting to use the time available to me to lose some weight (probably a common thing!) but I don't want to miss out on the perfect dress, etc. Also, what if I find one and then change my mind? Does that happen? :)

I just felt a little crazy about this recently, and wanted to see what the rest of you thought!

Re: Dress shopping?

• Options
    I haven't started to go to dress shop. I have of course looked at all kinds of bridal magazine and online. I too would love the time to lose weight! A big goal of mine. And I am afraid that I will find something I love now and then when the wedding gets closer I will find something else. If your asking for opinions I would say look through magazine and online and if you want to go look too but I would hold off on buying anything right now. We have about 2 years and I am sure our minds will change 100 times by then. HTH
  • Options
    I bought my dress the month after I got engaged.  Well technically didn't buy but I'm making payments on it.  Thats what I love....I found the "It" dress and I knew that I wouldn't change my mind.  I now have 2yrs to pay for the dress.  I can't believe that I'm spending so much though.  I had wanted a dress that was around $300 but my dress will be around $1200 with alterations and everything.  I don't care because I look great in it!
  • Options

i have been looking a dresses for months i would like you ladies opinion. should i splurge on the alfred angelo dress or go with the save and buy a kinda look alike dress on line?

the alfred angelo

the save
    please give me feed back

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OMG I totally know what you mean toriafloria! I finally fell and went out and looked the other day... The 3rd dress I tried on I LOVED! Its so hard because I want to look more and like you said its so far away... but I also dont want to stay in love with the dress and then have them discontinue it! :( UGH! haha

When is your date??
  • Options
    Reply to alysia,

I think they're both very pretty! Actually though, I think I like "the save" one a little bit better than the alfred angelo!

However, it is, of course, TOTALLY up to you. :)
  • Options
    I've found my dress it was totally by fluke when my maid told me were going shopping, my mom is buying my dress and were going to wait till the summer but i don't think its too soon i went looking with my mom and every dress i tried on i compared to the one i found, all you need is to find the one you love and have them stop making it next year?
    I love both dressed i agree the save on is very pretty but you would need to see them both on!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am anxious to look for dresses too and worried about buying to soon!! My date is 06/01/2012 and I am thinking that I'll start the hunt Jan, 2011.
  • Options
    SAW2008SAW2008 member
    First Comment
    I have started looking in magazines but I haven't gone out and started looking yet. I have been kind of tempted, but I think I am going to wait until early next year to really start looking.
  • Options
    It's way too early to go dress shopping. Tastes change, styles change, shapes and sizes change for those hoping to lose weight (or those who gain weight from the stress). I'm not afraid of "missing out" on the "perfect dress" since most wedding dresses look the same anyway. If one style gets discontinued another one will come along exactly like it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy a dress online it is really hard to size and then get altered its not like a normal dress..you know?
  • Options
    I'm getting married 6/16/12 and i've been trying to hold off looking at dresses... I kinda like some of the more modern styles and I'm afraid if I'd buy a dress now then the style would change or I'd second guess my decision... sooo I'm holding off until summer of next year to start looking... at least that's the plan lol although i've got a ton of brides magazines that i've been looking at! lol
    Wedding Planning Bio & For Sale: valeriewalter.weebly.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I brought mine after I got engaged...It was my dream dress and it was being discontinued... I got a killer deal on it too. I have had for a year and a half lol and it still looks brand new...When you find the dress you will know...If you store the dress right it will stay nice...And I have lost a lot of weight as well..and if you need it smaller you can always get it altered...Better to buy too big then too small...Hope you have fun dress shopping...As for my reception gown I am waiting till fall 2011 to purchase it.Smile
    Anniversary
  • Options
    They are both beautiful!!  But, if I had to pick... I like the "save" better!!  :o)  Where did you find that one and who makes it?  I have started looking on line, but haven't tried anything on yet.  I can't wait to start trying them on :o)
    Lori
  • Options
    I know what you mean toriafloria. Our wedding is on June 2, 2012, and was wondering when to start looking for a dress also. I am afraid I may change my mind and also want to lose some weight, so I am trying to hold off until 2011. I am also fighting urges to just go try on dresses, because it is so exciting. I am in the same situation you are, and don't know what I should do.
  • Options
    I have been engaged for almost three years now and I'm not getting married until June of 2012.  I didn't start looking at dresses until January of this year.  I started only looking casually, but as more and more girls I graduated from college with began planning for their weddings, I wanted to too! I started looking seriously in May and bought my dress on June 3rd, 2010! I bought my dress at a small couture shop in Cincinnati.  I can't wait to get married, but I have to admit, the planning is a lot of fun too!
  • Options
    I have been fighting the urge to go shopping. I've looked at hundreds of dresses in magazines and online and I've seen a couple that I definitely love. I don't want to go out and look around then end up buying a dress and change my mind a year from now. I'm going to keep looking from home then sometime next year I'm going to actually go out and look.
  • Options
    I'm very excited about dress shopping, but I am holding off on seriously looking for a while. I am going to a trunk show at the end of the month at a local bridal salon, but I am going just to get a feel of things--if what I think I want is really what I want. I think I will start seriously looking after the first of the year.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I am waiting to go dress shopping until next fall. I hope to lose some weight by the big day. I'm more concerned about getting the right cowboy boots to walk down the aisle in. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went dress shopping just for the fun of it a couple of weeks ago and it was fun!   I found a dress that I LOVE.  For a few days I was seriously considering actually buying the dress.  I thought and thought about it for a few days...kept telling myself what if I don't find a dress that I like as much, then I'll be sooo sad cause I'm sure it'll be discontinued if I wait another year.  I've decided to wait until next year to go looking again.  I'm positive that I'll be able to find something I like just as much, if not more and it'll give me time to lose some weight!!!  Kiss
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've only been looking online. I'm also playing the weight loss game, so I'm worried about buying something that may or may not fit later.
    I can't decide EXACTLY when is appropriate. Maybe when I reach my goal weight, if not, I'll probably look to purchase mid-2011.
    I'm going to start store browsing first, just to get an idea of what I like.
    And honestly? If I find something I can't live without, I'll buy it. Then if it needs to be altered.. oh well! ;)

Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards