Catholic Weddings
Options

Man of Honor

When meeting with our priest, he mentioned that he was concerned that my having a "Man of Honor" may not be OK.  He said it probably would be, but he would have to check.  

Has anyone else heard of this or had problems with it?  He is also Catholic, so I didn't think there would be any trouble.

Re: Man of Honor

• Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I just wanted to say that that is ridiculous.  Does he think you're going to put your man of honor in a dress or something?  There shouldn't be trouble but who knows. If they do give you trouble, just have your man of honor stand on the side with the groom to satisfy the church.  You can print it as man of honor in your program though.  The church can just think he is a groomsman.  
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no rule in the Catholic church, that I know of, which states that the honour attendants/witnesses must be the same gender as the person they are standing next to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would think it would be fine. I don't know of any rules against it either. He is probably just telling you that bc he has never dealt with it before and also to cover his a$$ if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    There is absolutely NO Church rule about the gender of the bridal party members, including the honor attendants.

If your priest won't allow this, I would take the matter to the head of your diocese.  I would absolutely not change his side.

This man is way behind his times!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good!  Your responses made me feel much better.  He said he was pretty sure it was OK, he just had to go and double check.  I'm sure it will all be alright.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance was a "Friend of Honor" a few years before I met him at a Catholic Wedding... and I just had a cousin who got married who had a man of Honor as well. Also a Catholic wedding.

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Celeste19Celeste19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on having a man of honor in a Catholic wedding.  I have not even asked the deacon performing the ceremony about it, simply because I did not think it was a big deal.  Hopefully I am right.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a Man of Honor, and it's perfectly fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards