Washington-Seattle
Options

NWR: karebear running

Hi!

I just noticed on your signature that you have some pretty quick running times and wanted to ask you a question! Have you ever run a half marathon before? If so how many miles did you build up to before the actual race? I'm running Rock and Roll too, have never done one and am asking everyone I know of who might have run a half the same question.

Thanks and goodluck next month!

Re: NWR: karebear running

• Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not karebear running, but I AM doing the Rock and Roll half marathon, have never done one before, and my time right now is about a 12 minute mile.  I am still doing a combo of running/walking, but I've found a pace I can maintain. Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First of all, thanks for saying my times are fast! I run with a lot of boys that do between 7 and 8 minute miles. I feel so slow next to them. Maybe that is why my times are good. I feel like I need to do more speed training, but I will focus on that after the half. I need to get the distance down first. Any way, Rock and Roll is going to be my first half too! :) I am following this training plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml A lot of the girls on the health and fitness board on the nest really like the Hal Higdon program, so I might try that one next time. I have already ran up to 10 miles, so I am a little above schedule and I ran that at 10:30 pace. The training program has me going as far as 12 miles before the race. I may try to run the kirkland half course on my own as a test, but we'll see how I feel. I don't want to push myself too hard and risk an injury. Good luck to you too! Let me know if you have any more questions. I have been running for the last 5 plus years, but this is the first year I have really been adding on distance. Now I am a total running nerd.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mergator it sounds like you're about the same speed as me! I let myself walk exactly 1 minute after every mile..but last week I tried to run 9 miles and broke down and walked the last one. How many are you building up to? The plan I'm trying to use says 10..but I don't know if I could go 3.1 more lol.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Hal Higdon's too..but I have a couple of extra weeks and was debating adding more distance verses doing a super good job running 10 miles.

I think those times are fast..you beat my bloomsday time by like 12 minutes. I had a nasty cold, but don't think I would have been much faster... or maybe it was that hill. I'm happy when I can keep my 11:32 ish pace overall.

What do you guys do for speed work?

I usually identify myself as a swimmer and know exercises to swim faster..but am not sure how applicable it is to running.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would just google track work outs. DH and I did one where we did the following: Ran one slow lap, ran fast .25 lap, slow the remaining, Ran fast .5 lap, slow the remaining. Fast .75 lap, slow the remailing, fast full lap, then build back down, so fast .75 laps, slow .25, etc. I used to swim too! You could probably apply the same work outs from the pool to running. I would just work on a track or a path that measures distance (unless you are really lucky and have a garmin forerunner). I can't remember any specific swimming speed work outs though. Right now on my shorter run days I am really trying to remember to run faster now that those distances are so easy for me. I am hoping that helps me get faster. On race days I try to find a person that is running slightly faster than me and pace behind them. I really attribute my Seahawks time to doing that. At the end I wanted to die.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey karebear. I did the Seahawk 12k and this years Bloomsday too. Right around the same times you did. Probably saw you out there somewhere along the route.
    We run the route from the Landing to the VMAC and back at least two times a week still.
    My FH loves running, I love running with him (don't love the running part itself that much!)
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just remember that your first 1/2 Marathon is about FINISHING. So don't sweat your per mile time. Just go at your pace and you'll do great!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_nwr-karebear-running?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:104Discussion:1107dc18-5dac-428e-8330-b61b229f5620Post:ccb723e0-5c4e-4bcb-b482-9a4d7ad19332">Re: NWR: karebear running</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey karebear. I did the Seahawk 12k and this years Bloomsday too. Right around the same times you did. Probably saw you out there somewhere along the route. We run the route from the Landing to the VMAC and back at least two times a week still. My FH loves running, I love running with him (don't love the running part itself that much!)
    Posted by heissls[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! maybe you were one of the girls I tried to pace. Lol... I used to mostly do it to be with DH, now I would say I am getting better than he is, at least at distance. It gets addicting.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards