Flowers
Options

PLS HELP - FLORIST QUESTION

I just met with a florist and they ended the appointment telling me they have a verbal contract with me but do not do contracts. I've also had other places tell me they don't require signature, but provide the client with a letterhead with full description of services and an invoice.

I really want a signed contract - we've done it for everything else. However, is the flower business different? Am I out of the loop here or...?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
BABY GIRL DUE: 12/12/11
INDUCING: 11/22/11.

Re: PLS HELP - FLORIST QUESTION

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a contract with my florist either and thought it was strange.  I did however give her a deposit and had all details written up (including the deposit) before I gave her the deposit.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No the flower business is not different. When that is said tell them "I'm sorry but I do require an itemized quote, a list of stems to be used in each item, and a signature. Hopefully we can work something out."

DO NOT cave on this. Be strong and require a written contract!!! All florists are different. I met with 7 before deciding on one. BE STRONG on this; if not, you might regret it later...or be uneasy and nervous about the flowers from now until your wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    retro_bride09retro_bride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I just got my proposal last night. They emailed it to me, but it's itemized with prices and specifics on what each piece is made of, a formal contract is to come later. They can't hold you to a verbal contract, that's complete BS. This seems really shady to me, and I would find another florist.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    135 Invitedimage 105 Ready to Partyimage 30 Missing Outimage
    RSVP Deadline: 9.30.10
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_pls-florist-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:0af2b9cb-4005-4398-b51f-40da62d5ceb3Post:fbc57644-e449-4f0e-b185-e52dc16dfc35">Re: PLS HELP - FLORIST QUESTION</a>:
    [QUOTE]No the flower business is not different. When that is said tell them "I'm sorry but I do require an itemized quote, a list of stems to be used in each item, and a signature. Hopefully we can work something out." DO NOT cave on this. Be strong and require a written contract!!! All florists are different. I met with 7 before deciding on one. BE STRONG on this; if not, you might regret it later...or be uneasy and nervous about the flowers from now until your wedding.
    Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  If you want a contract, stand firm.  There are plenty of ppl who want/need your business and I'm sure you'll find someone who'd be happy to sign a contract.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_pls-florist-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:0af2b9cb-4005-4398-b51f-40da62d5ceb3Post:fbc57644-e449-4f0e-b185-e52dc16dfc35">Re: PLS HELP - FLORIST QUESTION</a>:
    [QUOTE] I met with 7 before deciding on one. Posted by suz62984[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to know that you met with seven before making your decision.  I thought meeting with two would do it, but I was wrong.  Now I'm in search of a third florist to meet.  *sigh*
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I DIY all my flowers for stuff, so I've never had to deal with a florist and contract.  The closest thing I have to a contract is having to give a credit card number/deposit on large or special orders. 

But a reputable florist should be able to give you something in writing.  Even if it's not in official contract form it should have specific flowers and prices itemized.  The only thing is that their prices may vary from day to day, so the fine print will have to allow for small market fluctuations from the time of the quote until the time they place the order. 

Also if certain flowers are unavailable, or arrive in unusable condition, they will have to substitute something of comparable look, color, and cost, or else give you a partial refund or upgrade in some other way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards