November 2012 Weddings

November and daylight savings time ... HELP!

Ok so i just recently got engagned over christmas.  I have always wanted a fall wedding so trying to plan a wedding for October or November of this year.  Most places are booked already for October.  I am completely fine with having a wedding in November plus most places are cheaper in November but the other day i realized a huge dilemma of having a November wedding ... daylight savings time!!!!  November is one of the darkest months!  My fiance and are still deciding if we are going to have a church wedding or have the ceramony at the recption venue we choose. 

SO for pictures what do i do???? I want outdoor pics but i dont want to see my fiance prior to we say our vows.  Any advice?  Anyone have a wedding in November and how did you work out the pics?  Thanks!

Re: November and daylight savings time ... HELP!

• Because of the time of year and wanting to do outside pictures and not before a ceremony you are going to have a hard time. It's just mother nature. We are planning on taking pictures before the ceremony and have an indoor place planned. If weather coorperates, we may have them outside.
    It sucks, but it's part of living in the northeast at that time of the year. Unless you plan something for daylight time, there isn't much you can do.

Good luck
  • Daylight Savings time ends on November 4th.  So, technically, you can try for a November 2nd or 3rd wedding and you'd be okay.

Our wedding is on November 2nd, but it's a Friday so we still have sunlight issues.  The sun should set around 6 pm, which is when we originally planned on having our ceremony.  We ended up pushing our ceremony time back to 5 pm instead, so we'll still have a little bit of sunlight left.  

If you can't do the 2nd or 3rd and you are able to do a Saturday or Sunday, you could schedule your ceremony earlier in the day to allow time for outdoor photos.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • It doesn't start to get dark until around 4-5pm
    Our receiving line/cocktail hour starts at 5:30pm so works well for us...

We are going to get to the hall for 5pm and take indoor family shots before the guests all start to arrive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We won't see each other before the ceremony, either. After talking to photographers, we set our long ceremony for 2pm, which will put after-ceremony photos in the "magic hour" right before dusk.

We just scheduled our engagement shoot for 3pm in Mid-January, to give you another idea about timing and lighting for photos. The photographer picked the time. He said, though, that with some locations, there was more flexibility, because of the likelihood of fog and how the shadows fall around the buildings.

So, advice: If photos are important to you, talk to photographers for recommendations regarding your day-of timeline. Hopefully, your venues are flexible.
  • I've seen wedding photos before the wedding where the groom and bride are standing on either side of a door holding hands but not seeing each other.  Something like this - where you can still take the photos beforehand without literally seeing each other.

I'm sure your photographer will have other ideas like this.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_november-daylight-savings-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:e4c70a49-23b8-4890-ad86-07bf4fa4f948Post:0d810eb6-07c8-4129-85dd-a346df4e012a">Re: November and daylight savings time ... HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen wedding photos before the wedding where the groom and bride are standing on either side of a door holding hands but not seeing each other.  Something like this - where you can still take the photos beforehand without literally seeing each other. I'm sure your photographer will have other ideas like this.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

<div>We're doing this!  I LOVE this door idea!</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're getting married November 3, 2012, so we're just making the daylight savings time cutoff.

We're doing a church wedding at 1:30pm, and made sure we left plenty of time to get pics done in between the church and the reception to make sure we have daylight for pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks ladies for all the advice!  the door idea is awesome!!!!  i actually looked at a venue that the outside is lighted up beautiful and they showed me pictures that were taking at night.  I really like them so now the daylight savings time isnt freaking me out as much as it was!

• Jess71186Jess71186 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    You could always do a "day after" shoot where you get all dressed up again to get the shots you could miss out on because of the time. A lot of photographers offer it as an additional add on.

We are doing a brunch reception which everything will be over by 4PM if that is option for you.

Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having our ceremony at 1:30, so there's plenty of daylight for pictures. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am having my wedding on November 17th! So I'm in the same boat. My fiance and I decided to have our ceremony around 3:30-4:00, so we have time for pictures as well! Hope this helps!!!!

• We are having a Nov 17th wedding, we won't be seeing each other before the church and the ceremony is 1:30.  We also have booked an "indoor photo location" due to quite possibly the inevitable bad weather...plus its a formal place for family pics.  After that just David and I will be getting pictures done outside while the bridal party parties on the limo bus.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards