Offbeat Weddings
Options

Torn over Destination over Home

Hello!
This is my first post, my fiance and I were engaged over the easter weekend. We set a date (far off, but firm) for Dec 29, 2012.  Already we cant decide were to have the wedding. We live close to his family, both imidiate and extended. It's about 6 hours drive to my hometown where my small family and many friends are. He doesn't want to have all his extended family at the wedding and is pushing for a destination such as Jamaica. I'm open to this idea, but I'd also like to have as many of my friends and family as possible attend. I know that we will be giving them plenty of notice, but I know that not everyone will be able to attend if we chose to tie the knot down south. My future MIL also wants to have a reception when we get back for the family, and I'd rather just do it all once. Does anyone have suggestions on how to strike the best comprimise?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Torn over Destination over Home

• Options
    After reading my post, I thought I should clarify. The issue is whether to have the wedding in my hometown, or at a destination. Also MIL REALLY wants to go down south.
  • Options
    I think a hometown wedding would be more appropriate if you want people to come, a lot of people don't have money around the holidays to travel for a destination wedding. You might have a more sparse list of attendees at your hometown wedding too just because it is so close to the holiday.

What state are you in? Are you prone to ice/snow storms? If some of your guests are traveling as far as you say you're traveling I would be extremely worried about haveing people travel in bad weather. I guess I'm a little biased though, you have to be pretty crazy to have a wedding in winter in Wisconsin with our crazy weather. 
  • Options
    I would say your hometown. That's my vote, esp around holidays, etc if you want more of your ppl to come than his, I say your town. Plus, idk if it's true, but it seems like traveling to a destination would be more expensive around the holidays. Eh, my two cents. And welcome! :)
  • Options
    Hi britt_bell,
    I'm in Cape Breton, Canada. So travel could definitely pose an issue. The weather here is so unpredictacble though. My fiances cousin had her outdoor summer wedding crashed by the remnants of huricaine Earl. We are having the wedding in the winter  b/c my fiance will is in school and we didn't want to do it in the summertime. I know the weather definitely wouldn't be as much of an issue in the south, once we got their. I guess i'm just havng issues weighing my options.
  • Options
    Radon has a very good point, the travel alone is going to be ridiculously expensive for that week since it's around the holidays when everyone is flying home, etc.

I'm in college too, so we chose to have the wedding in June.

I guess it depends on your situation, I know personally that if we had a destination wedding, no one we know would be able to afford to attend. We toyed with the idea of going to the carribean to get married, but in the end decided that we couldn't get married without our families, no matter how crazy they can get. =P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards