Pre-wedding Parties

my daughter and the shower

I recently helped make a bridal shower for my niece.  My daughter, who has significant emotional problems did not respond to her invitation and did not attend the shower.  Needless to say, I felt terrible about her behavior,, but want to be supportive of my daughter.  The mother of the bride, her aunt, wants to call her and confront her on her behavior.  I disagree and feel she should just accept things how they are.  My daughter is very fragile and would not respond well to a confrontation and her aunt knows this.  How do I protect my daughter and maintain my relationship with my sister-in-law?  Would love feedback.

Jude

Re: my daughter and the shower

• McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What behavior?  Not attending?  Does she intend to call everyone who didn't attend?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_daughter-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:38e6da2e-f27b-4581-9a8b-d9daba6bf5c4Post:b3225a3e-65e0-4aeb-a510-a564e9992067">Re: my daughter and the shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]What behavior?  Not attending?  Does she intend to call everyone who didn't attend?
    Posted by McKenna2012[/QUOTE]

This. 
  • edited December 2011
    Since your sil knows your daughter has severe emotional problems, it seems a bit cruel for her to be pushing this. She should be showing more consideration toward you (a caring aunt who helped with her daughter's shower) and her neice (who isn't well). You should firmly tell your sil that you do not want her to confront your daughter.

If you think that your sil is going to confront your daughter, in spite of your wishes, then you should give your daughter a heads up. At least she won't be taken off guard.

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Remind the aunt that an invitation is not a subpoena.  Your daughter had no obligation to attend the shower, and the aunt is completely out of line for thinking that she can call out your DD.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

As PP have said the aunt should not call. It's rude to not RSVP but seriously, it would be way worse to do what she is thinking of.

The world does not revolve around her daughter's shower or wedding. This is horrible behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards