Students
Options

Graduation Festivities vs Wedding Festivities????

Am I the only crazy person graduating and getting married around the same time? I'm getting married June 9th and graduating with my Master's on May 19th. My MOH just asked me about dates for my graduation, graduation party, bridal shower, bachelorette party and rehearsal dinner, and I instantly got confused! I definitely want to celebrate both of these special life events but I don't want to wear myself out in the process. What was I thinking?! Does anyone else have suggestions on how to tackle this?

Re: Graduation Festivities vs Wedding Festivities????

• Options
    I'm not - there will be 8 months between my graduation and my wedding (probably...it is possible that they'll end up only 3 weeks apart depending on my job search/going down to part time studies). I have a friend graduating on Thursday and getting married on Saturday in the same week next June. Now THAT I think it crazy.

I would probably graduate and have the grad party the same day. Your RD will be the day before your wedding. That leaves the bachelorette and shower in question, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. One or both can be a bit farther before your wedding, and definitely before graduation.

Basically, you've chosen to get married close to your graduation and that's going to make for a busy month or so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Honestly, as a guest, I would be a little irritated with so many parties for a few minutes, then probably realize that these are separate, major life events that are worthy of celebrating. I would suggest having your shower 2-3 months before the wedding, so that it's not crammed into a month. Do you need to have a grad party? Assuming you had one for your undergrad, maybe just go out to dinner with your immedaite family?
  • Options
    I like a lot what misshunshine suggested: do a graduation dinner as opposed to a "party" and maybe like Beads said, do that the night of your graduation. That might help you with the craziness of your month. But I think depends on what is more important to you having an actual "party" type event for. If you are okay scaling back your grad party to an small dinner with a few people, do that. Or if you'd rather have an grad party and just go do something small for your bachelorette party do that. Just remember that low-key doesn't mean either is less important :) good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hear you I finish school (well practicum) the week of the wedding, then I get married and go away for 2 weeks and then grad is 2 days after I get home. I am planning on just doing something with family for grad, mostly I am just plain sick of party planning details and between showers, and stagettes and the wedding itself and events for grad (grad itself, and a dinner my cohort is planning), I just dont want do deal with any more parties or people!! Maybe I am a party pooper, but I would rather not have another major event to go to either in your position or as a guest. (PS. I should also add that My birthday is 2 weeks before the wedding, mothers day is a week after, my moms 60th birthday is also a week after.)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    I hear ya I get married April 28th and grad. on May 12th so pretity much its my wedding week on honey moon then walking .... I am not doing any thing for my  grad because I will be going back to school for more education ... but good luck with everything!!!
  • Options
    I graduate with my BS on May 12th and I'm getting married May 25th...I'm not having any graduation parties. Everyone we've invited to the wedding would have been invited to the grad parties and I wasn't going to try to get family to come from all over for both. Just celebrate your graduation with your immediate family and friends by going out to dinner or something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Add me to the list of crazies. I graduate with my DVM on May 19th and I'm getting married June 2nd.  My shower is this Saturday and that is the only pre-wedding party that is planned so far.  I know there will be a bachelorette party sometime around graduation.  I'm not doing a graduation party, but my parents/FILs will be coming in to town to go to my graduation ceremony and we'll go out for lunch afterward.  As much as I'm looking forward to getting my degree (since I've been in school my entire life!), I think I'd much rather concentrate on the wedding rather than graduation activities.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am getting married May 4th and graduating the week before. I am not going to walk at my graduation ceremony, but I wanted to get married that time of year because after I graduate, my FI and I will most likely move away from our family and friends for job opportunities. It's just the way it's working out for s, and I am totally okay giving up graduating festivities for wedding festivities!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin got married April 28th and graduated April 29th!  It was crazy, but totally doable.

Definitely have your shower well before the wedding, perhaps in February, to spread things out.  Maybe the bachelorette party could be over spring break?  I know that seems early, but again it would help spread things out.  Either that or do it the week before you get married.

I also like the idea of a grad dinner.  In fact, that's what we did for both of my graduations (undergrad and grad) and it was really nice to keep it small.
  • Options
    SO is graduating from our professional program literally the day before the wedding. It makes sense since his immediate family will already be in town. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am graduating 2 weeks before the wedding! CRAZY! We aren't doing much for my graduation-- just dinner and a cake with immediate family only.

I'm already stressed about the amount of work I have to do, lol. Thank goodness for the wedding planner!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Not even close. My mother skipped her college graduation to get married ! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies! I'm actually taking a break from completing my comprehensive portfolio for my MSW that I need to graduate to respond to this! I'm getting excited about graduation as I get closer to finishing, definitely a big deal for me!  Spring break for me has come and gone so the prospect of any celebrations at that time is out.

I didn't do muchfor my undergrad graduation, just had dinner with friends and family that all came to the graduation and a couple that missed it. I'll probably do the same again, it was a good feeling. That will be May 19th after the graduation and the bridal shower will be the following week on the 26th. I'll be sure to let my guests know they don't have to feel obligated to give gifts at every event.

My wedding is pretty low key too so I think I'll be ok. I think I just had this moment of "ok what did I get into?!" but the feeling has now passed! Good luck and congrats  to you other ladies that are having "a season of celebration", as my supervisor called it, with graduations and weddings!
  • Options
    I got married the day after graduating from law school. It was the best weekend of my life.  I would have loved to spread out the merriment but there was not another weekend that would have worked with taking the LA Bar Exam, hurricane season, etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards