40-Plus Brides
Options

"Honeymoon" at last!

So it will be nearly three years after our wedding--not sure what the cutoff is on a honeymoon. But NotFroofy and I have decided to take a road trip rather than just fly to my daughter's wedding in Oregon this September. So we've started accumulating stuff for our trip.

First purchases:

* An 8-person tent. Yes, there will be only two of us plus a dog. But I'm tired of trying to wedge myself into the kind of tent I can carry in a backpack or on a bicycle. This one is big enough to stand up in.
* Two sleeping bags. Yes, we already own one sleeping bag. But if this is going to be our honeymoon, the least we can do is have sleeping bags that will zip together to make one sleeping bag big enough for the two of us.
* A portable popup gazebo. We actually got that one free. When we bought the gazebo we used to make our chuppah (Jewish wedding canopy), there was some fraying on the cover. Rather than replace the cover, the seller sent us a whole second one. While we've long since sold the chuppah, we never even opened the second gazebo. We figure we can put it over a picnic table to eat on a rainy day.
* A Coleman 56 Quart Wheeled cooler.

We already own a tarp which I'll be patching up so we can use it under the tent.  We have a couple of camp chairs that we usually use for the Fourth of July.  A friend has offered to lend us a queen-sized air mattress. We've got a bunch of extension cords we can use to enable us to power cell phones, computers, etc. inside the tent. (No, we are definitely not roughing it!) We'll probably buy a small Propane stove, but otherwise I think we have most of what we'll need.

I decided to test out the tent by putting it up in our back yard this afternoon.  Apparently, this resulted in thunderstorms and flash floods throughout the DC area.  At least we will find out whether and where it leaks before we're actually trying to sleep in it!

Re: "Honeymoon" at last!

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    If your tent withstood those thunderboomers we had a few hours ago, you'll be in great shape for your trip!  Congrats on the plans, it sounds like a whole lot of fun.
  • Options
    Sounds like a blast!  Will you be visiting the national parks along the way?
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_honeymoon-at-last?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:dd6db434-8404-4fad-b86f-d26e451b011cPost:5497915e-7d52-49ea-90eb-207e4b7781ee">Re: "Honeymoon" at last!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like a blast!  Will you be visiting the national parks along the way?
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]We're planning on it.  We're just having to figure out which ones are more or less on our way there or back.  Tentative schedule is

* See friend in Chicago.
    * Mount Rushmore.
    * Yellowstone.
    * See friend in Washington State.
    * Daughter's wedding in Oregon.
    * Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah.
    * Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
    * Prairie National Park in Kansas.
    * See different friend in Chicago.
  • Options
    Oh, joy!  Now this post is back on the index, but the one in which I asked where it had gone is missing.
  • Options
    That is so exciting for you and NotFroofy!  There is no "time limit" for HMs.  Since you are planning to go to so many National Parks, you should buy that park pass (I think it is $80) that gets you into any and all the NPs for the year.  I would say it is worth it.  They offered it to us when we in Kitty Hawk on Mother's Day. 

Mt. Rushmore is great!  A suggestion - go South of there to Mammoth Hot Springs - still in the Black Hills, but it really cool.  There is an active archaeological dig of a mammoth pit there. 

Can you swing down to NC and drop me off back home in WA State?  You can strap me on top of the car!  (Just kidding)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards