Chit Chat
Options

Xp: flying with a wedding dress

Hello!

I'm a destination bride who is going to be flying to key west with my wedding dress as a carry-on. Does anyone have experience flying with your dress on delta or united?

Thanks!

Re: Xp: flying with a wedding dress

• Options
    Not on those specific airlines but when I flew to Europe with my dress the airline was very accomodating. When you get to your boarding gate ask the agent if you can use the closet on board. If the closet is full you can just put in the overhead compartment (your hotel at your destination will most likely be able to coordinate getting your dress steamed too)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I flew on a domestic United flight to my DW last month. I had to change planes during the flight. On the first flight, the attendant had me lay in it an overhead bin. I had the bin to myself and it was a newer plane so there was plenty of room. I had to fold it at the waist which was no problem. On the second leg, that flight attendant hung my dress in the first class coat cabin. I had envisioned that being the most ideal choice, but truthfully it is a short closet and my dress was way more squished at the bottom than I would have thought. The overhead bin was the way to go. On both flights, the attendants immediately offered help when they spotted my dress bag. I didn't have to ask or say anything. My dress was a very full skirted satin dress with a lot of pickups, so I was very concerned about the shape it would be in after flying. I did have to steam it a bit myself, but all in all flying with it was no problem. I should say that when I booked my United flight it was around the time of the actual transition from Continental to United. They changed the flights and times without any notice to me. When I was checking in online the day before, I could see they changed my flight to an Embraer jet which is tiny and has limited carry on capacity. I called them, had to ultimately throw my one bridezilla fit, and make them switch me to a flight with a regular size jet that I could carry my dress on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was on a United flight in August.  I asked the flight attendant if she could hang up a garment bag I had (just had a suit, no wedding dress) and she said they were no longer allowed to hang up bags in the closets.....that the weight was breaking the bars or something.  She said that brides were very upset when they found they couldn't hang up their dress.  The flights I took during that month were packed too, with no extra space in bins. 

I suggest you get on the plane as quick as you can to see if they will hang your dress and, if not, allow you to get an overhead bin to yourself for your dress.
  • Options
    I flew with my dress, though not on Continental or United.  My flights didn't have closets (no first class either), so I pre-boarded and lay it flat in the overhead.  DH was kind enough to get up a few times when others were putting their luggage up there to lift the dress and allow others to slide their suitcases under.  I think it was folded at the waist at one point.  No problems.  I got it steamed there so no wrinkles.  The only annoyance is carrying the damn thing through the airport.  It weighs a ton (and mine was not huge or heavy by comparision) and there were no baggage carts going through customs to lay it over.  In general though, I found people were nice enough to realize that it's something a little special and work with you to make it work (other passangers I mean).  

• Options
    I flew with my dress on USAir from Philly to Bermuda.

The flight attendants let me wait until all the bags were in an overhead, then I placed my dress on top of them.  There were no closets and they were very apologetic.

People freak out about flying with the dress when it's really no big deal.  Don't call ahead or anything - they won't be helpful.  Don't asl the gate attendants - they won't be helpful either.  Just speak with the flight attendants when they appear.

You'll get lots of congrats in the airport while you're carrying it, by the way!
  • Options
    I flew Delta with my dress.  I flew at the end of March, in first class.  So I was able to use the coat closet for my dress - But I'm pretty sure they would try to accomodate if you weren't flying FC.  It was only a few dollars more for me to upgrade so I figured why not.  My dress was tea length but it barely scruntched into the tiny closet.  But thankfully it wasn't too long of a flight, only three hours.  Everyone was extremely nice and helpful.  The only thing that sucked was carrying the dress throughout the airport, that was a HUGE PITA.... I didn't realize just how heavy my dress was until I had to carry the thing across the airport.

Also I was more scared about putting it on the security belt.  The bag I got with my dress was one of those breathable mesh bags.  I was concerned that dirt might get in, so I wrapped that in one of those cheaper plastic bags.  Ok, I might have been a bit paranoid, but I figured it was better than having a dirty dress :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards