Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Using the hotel caterer

ladies - what is your opinion on using the caterer provided by the hotel if you're having a hotel reception?

Re: Using the hotel caterer

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The hotels I looked at require it, which is why we won't be having our reception in a hotel. One wanted to charge $35 per pitcher of orange juice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I didn't realize that. thanks for the info
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at an inn, so probably smaller than what you're talking about, but we had to use the chef and her staff that work at the inn and prepare the meals for the inn's two restaurants.  For us, that meant that when we looked at the venue, we had to treat it as interviewing the caterer, too.  We ate in the inn's tavern to get a feel for what the food was like when we first looked at the venue (they actually treated us to whatever we wanted from the menu).  

As for costs--our venue had a per person flat fee that did not include alcohol, although it did include a bartender fee, and I didn't think it was overpriced for the menu we ended up with and the choices we had.  However, our open bar was charged the same as if we were buying the alcohol from the tavern, despite the fact that our rate supposedly included a bartender fee, so that was really annoying because it seemed like the inn was charging us a double markup on the alcohol.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think it depends on what the other costs for the hotel are. We were able to get a good deal on the rate for the room(s) both the ballroom for the reception and the banquet room that we are turning into a ceremony room. Since, we were cut such a good deal on that, it wasn't such a big deal on using the hotel caterer.

Our hotel simply requires a minimum food and beverage purchase, it doesn't matter if it is all appetizers, entree's, cake, drinks, whatever as long as it adds up to the right amount. And the food comes from the restaurant that is inside the hotel, so for us it all worked out to be within our budget and ALOT easier. Plus they have really good food. Definitely call around and ask questions.

I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, when you're negotiating with the hotel (if you decide to go that route), see if you can talk about your room block rate for your guests at the same time, if you have out of town guests.  We got a really nice rate for the area/season at our inn, and we are going to a wedding next month where our friends were able to get guest room rates at less than half of what the rooms would go for if we booked online.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got our room blocks already. Now for the food decision
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't use a hotel, but we used a venue where you have to use their catering (unless you buy out the kitchen at $5k/day). I actually prefered that so I didn't have to do the work to find a venue AND a caterer AND rentals. We picked a place that was convenient, pretty, and served great food. As long as it fits your budget and you like the food, go for it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue requires you to use their in-house caterer as well. We're crossing our fingers that the food is good (haven't been to a tasting yet), but logistically it's easier to not choose a caterer, plus since they'll be using their own kitchen we shouldn't have day-off issues either.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards