Gothic Weddings

Oh the pretty flowers...

So I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but I LOVE gardening! I started a garden last year for the first time without my mother's help. We have expanded it this year, and we are going all out! We're planting vegetables, shrubs, annual flowers, perennial flowers, herbs, and I'm trying my hand at planting flower bulbs, and possibly Japanese maple trees.

So anyway, to get at what I'm trying to tell you all is that I would be REALLY happy if I could grow most of the flowers for our wedding right here at home. I'm sure I will need to do some supplementing with store bought flowers (instead of ordering hundreds of dollars worth of flower like I had originally planned), but I think that if we get a good start on the garden now and plant tons of bulbs we will have enough.

I'm a little nervous because I have heard complaints about people buying bulbs and not having them come up, or only having a small amount of them come up. I've also heard complaints that the plants came up, but didn't bloom. We'll just have to see what happens...

Soooo, as of right now I have 9 out of 70 mixed colors of gladiolus flowers just poking themselves out of their bed, and I'm hoping and praying that the rest come up also. My favorite flower that I planted this year is called "Black Walnut" gladiolus. They are a pretty burgundy color, and can't wait to see what happens!

Here's a picture of a variety of gladiolus that is really close to the black walnut variety, but these are a little more on the red side. It's the closest picture I could find to the ones that I have planted. 

The 2nd and 3rd pictures are a perennial flower that I have in my garden. I have thought about using them in the wedding also.

Please, oh please let my flowers come up!!!!

Visit Gothic.weddings.com

Re: Oh the pretty flowers...

• That's great that you're trying to grow most of your flowers for the wedding! I know flowers are a real budget killer. Those are very pretty, I'm sure they're going to turn out wonderfully!

I have a lot of planting and what not ahead of me this summer as well. My fiance and I are going to help my grandparent's fix up their backyard which was once really beautiful, but the neighbors had flooding issues and they thought of a stupid plan to fix it, and the plan included digging up my grandparent's entire backyard. So now they don't even have grass planted, it should be quite an interesting project, but in exchange for helping them we're going to have our ceremony in their backyard. So we're going to create some flower beds, and we're going to put the arch/gate up soon and she's going to try to get some kind of flower or plant to grow up the sides of it. Although, I'm not sure when we'll be able to get started on all of this since they just had a fire in their kitchen, and they have a team of people in their house everyday repairing the damage from that.

It should be interesting to see how both of our planting projects go! Your garden sounds abolutely beautiful, it's so fun to see things grow especially when you've put a lot of work into it. 
  • Yay! I'm so glad you guys like gardening too! I love it when I not the only one. Sometimes I find myself thinking about wedding stuff and gardening all day. I suppose there are a lot of other things that I could be thinking about that aren't very good...so I'm glad that I have such wonderful things to concentrate on. If you guys have any pictures of your gardens, or gardens in progress, I would LOVE to see them!

My family has always had gardens, and my mom is like a little gnome woman always growing things and working with animals. I grew up learning about medicinal plants and how to take care of baby animals that had lost their mothers. I'm very fortunate, and I have to say VERY, VERY fortunate, that my future in-laws are kind enough to let us go garden crazy on their property (where we are living also). I am a true plant and nature geek, and lovin' it!
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards