Wedding Party
Options

maid vs matron

My sister is my MOH. She is married, but specifically asked to be referred to as "maid" in the program. I agree with her that matron of honor can make a woman sound a bit older than she may be. If I'm granting her specific request, is this still a major faux pas? I don't really think it would be - I don't think I've ever noticed while scanning through a program. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: maid vs matron

• Options
    Eh, if it makes her happy, do it. Any person who would be offended by, or sideeye such a thing would be such an annoying bunch of sour grapes that it'd be fun to rattle their chain.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I'll be doing the same thing. My MOH will be 24 at the time and is hardly "matronly." The word just weirds us both out because it makes up feel old :) I don't think it's a big deal at all. 
  • Options
    I feel like, as long as her husband doesn't care, no reason for you to (basically it's calling herself unmarried, so it would just be if the guy has an issue, which I doubt he would)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-vs-matron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:d87bf546-242c-4340-98d4-144ec7b23edbPost:6fe6cb55-39a0-49ed-9f5e-bac7035731f4">Re: maid vs matron</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like, as long as her husband doesn't care, no reason for you to (basically it's calling herself unmarried, so it would just be if the guy has an issue, which I doubt he would)
    Posted by jessicadall[/QUOTE]

Why should her husband's opinion on this matter?

OP - if she wants to be called "Maid of Honor" that's fine.  I have never seen married BMs called "Bridesmatrons" so it really doesn't matter.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I had the exact same situation with my MOH. She was listed as Maid in the program, though married, and all was fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-vs-matron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:d87bf546-242c-4340-98d4-144ec7b23edbPost:758c1179-408e-43f9-817a-6cde6ee4832a">maid vs matron</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister is my MOH. She is married, but specifically asked to be referred to as "maid" in the program. I agree with her that matron of honor can make a woman sound a bit older than she may be. If I'm granting her specific request, is this still a major faux pas? I don't really think it would be - I don't think I've ever noticed while scanning through a program. 
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]

<div>If that's what she wants, no one else will mind.</div>
  • Options
    As a guest if I knew your MOH I may notice but I can't imagine that I'd care. I'm only 25 and if I was asked to be a MOH I might make the same request.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-vs-matron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:d87bf546-242c-4340-98d4-144ec7b23edbPost:ee3dfb85-50fd-44b1-ad2c-3cddbede98c6">Re: maid vs matron</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand this at all.  Matron means married.  It does not, and has never meant old.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I am with you.  I have observed, on these boards, that common usage of terms like matron ("married") and Mrs. ("wife of") has morphed their meanings over time.  I don't understand it either, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Go ahead with using "maid."  My divorced cousin asked if she'd be "maid" or "matron" in the program and I said that she can be whatever she wants.  We decided that she'll be "maid" because I'm having two MOHs and the other one is married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-vs-matron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:d87bf546-242c-4340-98d4-144ec7b23edbPost:ee3dfb85-50fd-44b1-ad2c-3cddbede98c6">Re: maid vs matron</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand this at all.  Matron means married.  It does not, and has never meant old.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Me neither but it's just a title.  My SIL who is younger than me was my Matron of Honor.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    What comes to mind when you hear the word "matronly?" To me, it's a heavy-set, middle-aged woman in frumpy clothing. You'd better believe I asked my sister to refer to me as her "maid of honour" rather than matron of honour. (She got married 50 days after I did).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_maid-vs-matron?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:d87bf546-242c-4340-98d4-144ec7b23edbPost:ee3dfb85-50fd-44b1-ad2c-3cddbede98c6">Re: maid vs matron</a>:
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I agree. I truly wouldn't think twice about being referred to as 'Matron of Honor' in a wedding now that I am married (which will happen when my sisters get married I assume).
  • Options
    I tend to think of someone older...maybe it's ten seasons of obsessive Project Runway watching. When Michael Kors calls a designer's clothes "matronly" that's like the kiss of death. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards