Catholic Weddings
Options

Christmas Poll

What is your favorite Christmas song?
What is your favorite gift you are giving this year?
What makes you feel in the Christmas mood?

Feel free to add more!

Re: Christmas Poll

• Options
    Mine is "Oh Holy Night".  So beautiful and just captures the spirit perfectly!

H is an avid hunter and around here at gas stations there are blaze orange banners that have miller high life on them, a huge buck and "hunters welcome".  He's always wanted one for his mancave and I found one on ebay for him.

Wrapping presents for sure.  And listening to Christmas music
  • Options
    Fav christmas song: O Holy Night is my fav religious Christmas song. I prefer it sung by women. Secular song is def Last Christmas by Wham! I don't know what it is about the song, but it just gets me all pepped. Fav gift I'm giving: H is reading over my shoulder so I can't say! What gets me in the Christmas spirit: Listening to Christmas music! Particularly while doing something Christmas preprelated baking cookies,wrapping gifts, trimming a tree

• Options
    ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2012
    I don't know if I can pick! I love "Oh Holy Night," but I also go Latin and Greek caroling every year and there are some good ones from that. "Silent Night" in German, Latin, and Greek. "Angels We Have Heard on High" and "O Come, All Ye Faithful" in Latin. "We Three Kings" in Greek. For secular songs I like "What Christmas Means to Me." I just love Christmas songs!

A doily I made for FI's grandma. It's the most impressive thing I've ever knit or crocheted.

Christmas carols, if you can't tell from the first question (but only the good ones, not the obnoixious ones). That and the smell of Christmas trees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely O Holy Night - but I prefer with men. The Christmas show I did this past weekend had a version with three tenors that was just so beautiful.
    For non-religious, it's the dumbest song ever, Dominick the Christmas Donkey. At my first job out of college, we had a tax partner that used to sing it and dance around the office, so every time I hear it I think of that and laugh.

I still haven't done any christmas shopping... check back later this week...

The Christmas musical I just finished. SIX shows in four days. I'm so grateful to be done until next year because it's physically exhausting, but it definitely puts me in the spirit.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What is your favorite Christmas song? Oh Holy Night for a hymn and a toss up between Let it Snow and All I Want for Christmas is You sung by Mariah Carey.  I always think of the climax of Love Actually when I hear it and I love that movie.

What is your favorite gift you are giving this year? I don't know if I really have one.  There's a purple glass bowl that I got for one of my BMs that I think she'll really like and I hope to find some cute stocking stuffers for FH.

What makes you feel in the Christmas mood? Christmas music for sure, and having a decorated Christmas tree.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Favorite song: "All I Want for Christmas is You."  I've always loved the Mariah Carey version, and then I heard Michael Buble sing it a few days ago - wow!  He blew Mariah out of the water.  If I had to pick a religiously-minded one, I think it would be "Joy to the World," not because of the song itself, but because of the memories attached to it.  For the past 20 or so years, my immediate family has made a tradition of attending church on Christmas Eve (followed by a fancy dinner out), and the mass always concludes with everyone singing "Joy to the World."

Favorite gift: I got engaged in June, and my fiance and I had engagement photos taken in October.  Little do my parents know, we also brought my sister and my brother-in-law and had additional photos taken of all the "kids."  We ordered a bunch of prints and put together a collage frame for my parents - I'm pretty excited for them to open it.

How I get into the spirit: For the past 8 years, my extended family has done a holiday "Feel Good" project, where we take some of my grandfather's inheritance money and help out a cause close to our hearts.  We've bought gifts for needy families with children, stocked a food pantry, sent items to nursing homes, and recently helped out an organization of women with breast cancer (my mom, three of my aunts, and my great-aunt all successfully battled breast cancer).  Planning and executing this project always makes me feel Christmas-y.

Also, just to throw it out there (and stantokm mentioned it in passing), my favorite Christmas movie is "Love Actually," with "Elf" coming in a close second.  Smile
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What is your favorite Christmas song?  I am so glad im not the only one who loves the Mariah Carey song!  I also love the old school Brenda Lee version of "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree"

What is your favorite gift you are giving this year?  My mom walks to Mass every morning, so i bought her a pair of Uggs to keep her warm!  I hope she likes them!!

What makes you feel in the Christmas mood?  Lights.  I love Christmas lights.
  • Options
    What is your favorite Christmas song? I'm another one for "O Holy Night." I also like "The Christmas Song" and "Grownup Christmas List" on the secular side.

What is your favorite gift you are giving this year? I'm really excited to give H an icon of his confirmation patron. I'm also generally excited about the baby's first Christmas.

What makes you feel in the Christmas mood? Singing Christmas music while driving at night. Having Christmas music on while I do stuff, like wrapping presents and baking. The first two chapters of Luke (they inspire the Christmas mood year-round). Seeing Christmas lights springing up around the neighborhood.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_christmas-poll-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:08bbe244-b62f-42b8-8293-d5201b59c7d8Post:99be64b8-93b0-4053-95ab-eb1d40f145f8">Re: Christmas Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is your favorite Christmas song?  I am so glad im not the only one who loves the Mariah Carey song! <strong> I also love the old school Brenda Lee version of "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree"</strong> What is your favorite gift you are giving this year?  My mom walks to Mass every morning, so i bought her a pair of Uggs to keep her warm!  I hope she likes them!! What makes you feel in the Christmas mood?  Lights.  I love Christmas lights.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

This is another of my favorites!

And like many others, I love Mariah Carey's Christmas song.  Actually, I love her whole Christmas album.  It reminds me of my later childhood, and it's also just a good album.  Her "O Holy Night" it pretty epic.

• Options
    What is your favorite Christmas song? "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."  I've just always always loved it.
    What is your favorite gift you are giving this year? I don't know.  I am really excited about the "Mama Bear" and "Papa Bear" shirts for my mom and dad.
    What makes you feel in the Christmas mood? Decorating, going to mass, listening to Christmas music.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_christmas-poll-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:08bbe244-b62f-42b8-8293-d5201b59c7d8Post:af37e0dd-8ee1-4e5e-b346-e31af5d777c0">Re: Christmas Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  I love "Joy to the World"  It's just so joyful (hence the name, I suppose).  And I love that it's in an easier vocal range for more people to sing. <strong>Secular song - I'm starting to like "Baby it's cold outside"  I know it's not explicitly Christmas, but it's still fun and playful.</strong> 2.  I'm giving my parents the Catholicism series by Fr. Barron on Blue Ray.  I know they have really been getting into history documentaries, so I think this will be good.  The best part, I wrapped them in a "Fake Gift Box" ( <a href="http://www.prankpack.com/)" rel="nofollow">http://www.prankpack.com/)</a> I used the "Family Blankeez" box and think my dad will actually fall for this. 3.  I get in the mood with Christmas movies.  FI & I watched "Elf" the other night and I've also watched one of my newer Christmas favorites "The Family Stone"
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

My fiance and I love this song too (especially with Zooey Deschanel and WIll Farrell in Elf...) But we always feel weird that we like it since it's kind of about a girl getting sweet talked into staying over by her guy...
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are you kidding? I have to pick just one? I can't lol  I love silent night, do you hear what I hear, away in a manger, o holy night... any good old fashioned song. I absolutely hate new Christmas music (Justin Beiber just sang what??)

We adopted a family this year and it was so much fun buying gifts for little kids. I could just picture their faces lighting up.  That was by far my favorite "gift" :o)

Christmas music, Christmas tree and all of my nativity scenes up in my house lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_christmas-poll-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:08bbe244-b62f-42b8-8293-d5201b59c7d8Post:632d2186-d3bc-467b-8262-34e2d09cac28">Re: Christmas Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Christmas Poll : True ... I think for me it's the "Only the Good Die Young" appeal.  Yes, I know the Billy Joel song is about seducing a Catholic girl, but I still love it.
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

ha ha I've always loved this song too! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hi, ladies!  I haven't been around for several months and may or may not stay around due to some life circumstances, but this thread caught my eye when I came to post a prayer request.  Thanks for the Christmas cheer!

I'm on the "O Holy Night" bandwagon, but I've never met someone for whom that was their favorite Christmas hymn.  I even asked this question on Facebook a couple years ago, got tons of responses, and I was still the only "O Holy Night"-er!  Also, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "Holly and the Ivy" and "The Coventry Carol."

As children, my brother's and my favorite Christmas decoration was a set of Swedish chimes (don't know whether they're actually Swedish, but that's what we called them in my family) in which the smoke from small candles makes a blade with flying angels spin, ringing the chimes.  Brother and I would always argue over who got to assemble the tower.  Anyway, I found a duplicate in a Vermont store's catalogue.  Now he'll get to assemble his own set of chimes for his condo every Christmas!

My home parish begins each Advent Mass with the lights off, and dozens of children process in carrying votive candles as the instrumentalists begin "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and gradually the lighIts come up.  I haven't been to my parents' to experience that this year, but I have hauntingly beautiful memories of it.

God bless us, everyone!
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Her "Oh Holy Night" is by FAR by fav Christmas song, ever.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_christmas-poll-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:08bbe244-b62f-42b8-8293-d5201b59c7d8Post:7785ed0a-1af6-4bbc-98d1-74068b50bb6f">Re: Christmas Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Christmas Poll : This is another of my favorites! And like many others, I love Mariah Carey's Christmas song.  Actually, I love her whole Christmas album.  It reminds me of my later childhood, and it's also just a good album.  Her "O Holy Night" it pretty epic.
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]
    God is Faithful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards