Pre-wedding Parties

How Does This Work?

A family member has offered to host a shower for me and suggested that we do a Pampered Chef shower.  I've never been to a Pampered Chef party, but I know the gist of it.  Show up, someone makes food and demonstrates kitchen products, eat food, buy kitchen stuff. 

FI and I spent a lot of time registering for things that we want, reading reviews, etc, to make sure that the money that our guests spend on us, if they buy a gift from our registry, is on a good, quality product.  I've heard mixed reviews on Pampered Chef from "too expensive" to "best thing ever". 

If I did decide to do the Pampered Chef shower, do people still show up with gifts?  Then they are given a list of other things I want?  That sounds greedy to me.  I have been to showers before where this has been the case, but it's been with lingerie as the main gift and something similar to a Passion Party for the list of other items.

Do I just tell the hostess I would rather have a kitchen themed shower?  I don't want to look gift grabby...

Re: How Does This Work?

• From what I understand, the bride registers for products at Pampered Chef and also earns the incentives. The host does not earn the incentives.

• If you are not already a user and supporter of Pampered Chef or have never expressed an interest, I think it's odd that she wants to make that your party. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Guests would not bring gifts from your registry to this kind of 'shower.' This is a slick marketing tequnique used to promote Pampered Chef products and others such as tupperware, makeup for the bridal party and lingerie for the bride. The guests are subjected to a product demonstration, complete with a list of items the bride would like. Then they are pressured to purchase items for you.It's very awkward for the guests. IMO, Pampered Chef has some clever tools and gadgets, but they are all over priced.

• Smells like a pyramd scheme. Unless you are already involved with the product yourself DONT do it.

"The only thing you ever really know, you know with your heart".
  • Thank you all so much for your responses! I am happy to see that my gut was right on this. Since she offered to throw the shower and suggested Pampered Chef among a few other 'themes', do I turn down the offer or suggest one of the other 'themes'?
  • What were the themes?  Like "Kitchen Stuff" or something?   If you want the party, I would go ahead and pick one of the themes if they appeal to you sinc she threw them out there. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's fine to choose one of her other themes, as long as it doesn't  involve selling items items to your guests.

• In Response to Re: How Does This Work?:

Thank you ladies for your responses!  I tried to post from my mobile during work, but it looks like that didn't work. 

Since Pampered Chef was just one of the ideas that she through out (she also said around the clock, kitchen, lingerie, etc), should I tell her I would prefer one of the other "themes"?  And what's a good way to say it so she knows that I would not be happy with PC? 

"M, thank you so much for your offer to host.  The more I think about it, I would love to have an around the clock shower!  I went to one last year and it was a blast to see what people thought of!  The bride didn't end up with 12 muffin pans!!"

OR

"M, thank you so much for your offer to host.  I would prefer not to have a PC shower/party.  Any of the other ideas you had were great, and I am looking forward to the day!"

I know I'm not supposed to have too much say in my shower, but I don't want to invite FMIL, her family,and my friends to something so tacky...
  • "M, I appreciate your offer, but I would feel very uncomfortable with any kind of shower where the guests are expected to buy things. I would love to have the kitchen shower that you mentioned."

I don't really like the themes to be about the gifts that the guests bring, such as 'around the clock shower.' Suggest that she throw a miscellaneous shower, where the guests can bring any gift they like, with the option of shopping from your registry. Of the themes that you mentioned, the kitchen shower seems the least restrictive.

• what is " around the clock" I've never heard of this before? what happen to just a simple bridal shower, when you have gifts, food, drinks and games? I've been a BM mulitple times and never heard of having themes for bridal showers. Just have a simple bridal shower.
  • Here's the problem with an around the clock shower- its rude to dictate what type of gift guest should bring.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_how-does-this-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:79cd37bf-c0ad-4867-af04-a2ffbb9c3301Post:f2da415e-0cf8-4984-8b4c-a4518d285df6">Re: How Does This Work?</a>:
    [QUOTE]what is " around the clock" I've never heard of this before? what happen to just a simple bridal shower, when you have gifts, food, drinks and games? I've been a BM mulitple times and never heard of having themes for bridal showers. Just have a simple bridal shower.
    Posted by slgirl21[/QUOTE]

Around the Clock Shower - the guests are each asked to bring a gift for a time of day that is assigned to them by the host. For instance, if your time is 8:00 a.m, you might bring a toaster, For 10:00 pm, you might bring sheets or lingerie.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards