Favors

Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!

My wedding is coming up, less than 40 days, and I'm still trying to decide on a good edible wedding favor for my guests (>250). From the other posts, it looks like you guys have some great ideas! I'd prefer DIY ideas!

The theme of my wedding is romantic, if this helps at all. So far, the only favors I have liked so far are chocolate covered oreos that are decorated as a bride and a groom. Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks!! Smile

Re: Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!

• Chocolate covered Oreos are super delicious.

You're pretty brave for doing over 250 favors on your own....
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    Ditto MS. I think that is pretty ambitious. If it were me, I would simplify my life and do chocolate suckers. You can buy the molds, chocolate, and sticks, and they are super easy to make. I think they will be much easier to pull off than 250 chocolate covered Oreos decorated like a bride and groom. Also, I know you say you prefer DIY, but again, 250 is A LOT. And don't forget you not only have to make them, you also then have to package them in some way. You may find it easier not to go the DIY route. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_ideas-for-diy-edible-wedding-favors-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b16fe798-99ee-4c12-9bfd-bd1e2203300cPost:c28cbbbb-13f5-4ab9-b82e-1288ee4f1f2f">Re: Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chocolate covered Oreos are super delicious. You're pretty brave for doing over 250 favors on your own....
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. good point. Sometimes I tend to take on more than I can handle. I will look into the chocolate molds, thanks!!
  • You could do long pretzel sticks dipped in chocolate, either white or milk chocolate, or one of each, and then dip them in some type of sprinkles.

I agree on the chocolate lollipops as well.

I made cake pops for my daughter's graduation party. Not that hard, but the dipping and "setting" are a PITA, I wouldn't recommend that.

• Chocolate covered Oreos are yummy!i like the pretzel idea, too. Have you thought about buying chocolates wholesale (unpackaged) and packing them yourself? It could be a possibility if the DIY turns out to be too much. Arway confections and green mountain chocolates sell wholesale chocolates in bulk. Wedding basics.com sells fairly priced packaging materials. Good luck with your chocolate making!
  • I have an invitation catalog called Exclusively Weddings,they have fortune cookies in your wedding colors, brownie pops, M&M hearts in 5 colors, candy bar wrappers, lifesaver wrappers, see their favors at www.exclusivelyweddings.com

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm originally from Florida but I live in Louisiana. My fiance is from Louisiana and we're also getting married here. I'm determined to incorporate as much of the state into my wedding as possible. We have a few favors but are also doing edible ones. I've decided to do prailines which is really popular down here. It's a pecan candy that's really good. Luckily our wedding isn't as huge as yours, and we only have to make about 60.
  • Hello -
    I have a custom candy bar wrapper company.  There are hundreds of designs to choose from and you can customize the wrapper however you would like.  Each customized Hersey's 1.55 oz candy bar is placed inside a colored foil wrapper, and then wrapped in your customized wrapper and placed in a celophane wrapper for a complete look. 
    Example: You can choose a design that you use as a place card for each guest with their name and table # listed, and that can be their favor to take home with them.  Please check out my company website below.

<a href="http://www.CandyCreationsbyCathy.com" rel="nofollow">www.CandyCreationsbyCathy.com</a>

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_ideas-for-diy-edible-wedding-favors-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:b16fe798-99ee-4c12-9bfd-bd1e2203300cPost:69650b21-e2aa-4427-990b-796f39d507e5">Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is coming up, less than 40 days, and I'm still trying to decide on a good edible wedding favor for my guests ( />250). From the other posts, it looks like you guys have some great ideas! I'd prefer DIY ideas! The theme of my wedding is romantic, if this helps at all. So far, the only favors I have liked so far are chocolate covered oreos that are decorated as a bride and a groom. Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks!!
    Posted by Ldeleon18[/QUOTE]
  • OP, you can buy molds for making chocolate-covered oreos -- they wouldn't be decorated as bride and groom, but wouldn't be any more difficult than the chocolate lollipops.  You could wrap them and tie them into circles of white tulle with ribbon to match your wedding colors.

I also like the pretzel idea ...
  • One idea is salted caramels....but I like your oreo idea and I don't think it's too ambitious if you decorate them differently

First, if you're going to work with chocolate...invest in a chocolate melter. You can buy one with a 40-50% off coupon at Michaels or AC Moore (whatever you have) for about $25.00 in the end. It's going to save you a lot of time and it will keep you from scorching your chocolate.

I've worked with chocolate a lot in this fashion. I don't find that 250 oreos is very ambitions to dip in chocolate...that part is easy. Decorating them to look like bride and groom will be what is time consuming.

If it were me, I would do this: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSHAuGyj-N9hgLK5BZkCh3PodlV0WaODb6wZYzJ4degZBAmJB

The chocolate drizzle will add elegance and make it look fancy, but will not add a ton of time.  Those peronalized ribbons can be ordered online rather inexpensively. I got some on ebay years back that were great. The cellophane bags you can get at your craft store or wal mart

When you make them, put wax paper on cookie sheets, put the sheets in the freezer. coat all your oreos in chocolate and rest them on the wax paper, put them in the fridge until hard. After they have hardened, you can transfer to another container. Do all the first color, then when you're ready for your second color and you're ready to do the splatter, i put them on wax paper in a raised baking dish, I take melted chocolate with a spoon, and i drizzle back and forth across all of them very excitedly.

The beauty of this is that they can be made in advance. I would make them up 1-2 weeks in advance and store them in air tight containers in a cool, dry place with wax paper separating each layer. I wouldn't assemble them in the bags until close to the wedding date and hopefully you have some help! This will keep them freshest.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • We are going to be doing a popcorn bar, with all sorts of dessert popcorn like s'mores, sea turtle, etc! I ordered tin tie bags online and guests can create their own bags of popcorn to take home. This might be a good idea if you are short on time?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_ideas-for-diy-edible-wedding-favors-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:b16fe798-99ee-4c12-9bfd-bd1e2203300cPost:3dc03530-eab6-40f9-b5f4-2c42854eb3f2">Re: Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]One idea is salted caramels....but I like your oreo idea and I don't think it's too ambitious if you decorate them differently First, if you're going to work with chocolate...invest in a chocolate melter. You can buy one with a 40-50% off coupon at Michaels or AC Moore (whatever you have) for about $25.00 in the end. It's going to save you a lot of time and it will keep you from scorching your chocolate. I've worked with chocolate a lot in this fashion. I don't find that 250 oreos is very ambitions to dip in chocolate...that part is easy. Decorating them to look like bride and groom will be what is time consuming. If it were me, I would do this: <a href="https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSHAuGyj-N9hgLK5BZkCh3PodlV0WaODb6wZYzJ4degZBAmJB" rel="nofollow">https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSHAuGyj-N9hgLK5BZkCh3PodlV0WaODb6wZYzJ4degZBAmJB</a> The chocolate drizzle will add elegance and make it look fancy, but will not add a ton of time.  Those peronalized ribbons can be ordered online rather inexpensively. I got some on ebay years back that were great. The cellophane bags you can get at your craft store or wal mart When you make them, put wax paper on cookie sheets, put the sheets in the freezer. coat all your oreos in chocolate and rest them on the wax paper, put them in the fridge until hard. After they have hardened, you can transfer to another container. Do all the first color, then when you're ready for your second color and you're ready to do the splatter, i put them on wax paper in a raised baking dish, I take melted chocolate with a spoon, and i drizzle back and forth across all of them very excitedly. The beauty of this is that they can be made in advance. I would make them up 1-2 weeks in advance and store them in air tight containers in a cool, dry place with wax paper separating each layer. I wouldn't assemble them in the bags until close to the wedding date and hopefully you have some help! This will keep them freshest.
    Posted by BritniLeigh[/QUOTE]

this was incredibly helpful! Thanks so much!
  • reppunzelreppunzel member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_ideas-for-diy-edible-wedding-favors-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b16fe798-99ee-4c12-9bfd-bd1e2203300cPost:3dc03530-eab6-40f9-b5f4-2c42854eb3f2">Re: Ideas for DIY edible wedding favors, help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]One idea is salted caramels....but I like your oreo idea and I don't think it's too ambitious if you decorate them differently First, if you're going to work with chocolate...invest in a chocolate melter. You can buy one with a 40-50% off coupon at Michaels or AC Moore (whatever you have) for about $25.00 in the end. It's going to save you a lot of time and it will keep you from scorching your chocolate. I've worked with chocolate a lot in this fashion. I don't find that 250 oreos is very ambitions to dip in chocolate...that part is easy. Decorating them to look like bride and groom will be what is time consuming. If it were me, I would do this: <a rel="nofollow" href="https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSHAuGyj-N9hgLK5BZkCh3PodlV0WaODb6wZYzJ4degZBAmJB">https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmSHAuGyj-N9hgLK5BZkCh3PodlV0WaODb6wZYzJ4degZBAmJB</a> The chocolate drizzle will add elegance and make it look fancy, but will not add a ton of time.  Those peronalized ribbons can be ordered online rather inexpensively. I got some on ebay years back that were great. The cellophane bags you can get at your craft store or wal mart When you make them, put wax paper on cookie sheets, put the sheets in the freezer. coat all your oreos in chocolate and rest them on the wax paper, put them in the fridge until hard. After they have hardened, you can transfer to another container. Do all the first color, then when you're ready for your second color and you're ready to do the splatter, i put them on wax paper in a raised baking dish, I take melted chocolate with a spoon, and i drizzle back and forth across all of them very excitedly. The beauty of this is that they can be made in advance. I would make them up 1-2 weeks in advance and store them in air tight containers in a cool, dry place with wax paper separating each layer. I wouldn't assemble them in the bags until close to the wedding date and hopefully you have some help! This will keep them freshest.
    Posted by BritniLeigh[/QUOTE]

Rats ... I'd just talked myself out of a different DIY favor and now I want to do chocolate-covered Oreos!  Hmmmmmmmmm ...  <plotting />

ETA:  <em>OR</em> chocolate-covered Oreo lollipops!  If the Oreos were on sticks, they'd be easier to dip.  Aaaaaaauuuuggghhh!!!  Did I learn nothing from DIY-ing the invitations?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards