Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Family style or plated?

My venue offers several different meal styles at different price points and we've narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Plated - a plate of food is set in front of you. This includes 1 meat, a veggie and a potato or rice. Starter course of salad, rolls at the table and a served dessert.

Family Style - bowls of food are brought to the table and guests pass them around and serve themselves. This s $4/pp more expensive. Includes 2 meats, a veggie and a potato or rice. Starter course of salad, rolls at the table and a served dessert.

What does everyone prefer at a wedding?

Anniversary

Re: Family style or plated?

• Options
    ladyogrady22ladyogrady22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bummer that your venue charges more for family style.  My venue actually provides it at a lower cost and I'm excited to offer a wider selection without the mess of a buffet.  Plus it's less formal, which we like.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love receptions that are family style.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do they have a choice of entrees that they can pick from in advance, or would everyone get the same thing no matter what? I vote plated if you get options and family style if they all get the same thing.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted plated. This way everyone has an idea of what's being served before (in case of allergies) and because everyone gets the same amount of food.
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_family-style-plated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:300bae13-63a7-415b-abf6-f5b86d272db7Post:7d7cf31d-e071-43dc-9f24-2863c5c6e965">Re: Family style or plated?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I vote family style since that gives guests more than one main entree choice.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    This.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always vote against plated meals, as I have yet to be at a wedding where it's worth it. There's always something wrong with it.. it's either not enough, you don't like the sides it comes with, it's not hot enough, not enough variety.. etc.. DH always has us hit up the drive thru after being at a wedding with a plated meal. Thankfully a lot more weddings are going the way of family style or stations.

I definitely vote for the family style, this way there's more food to go around and there's more variety.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Both are good options. I voted plated just because it'll save you some money, and everyone gets a set amount of food. But I agree with PP that if there's only one entree option with the plated meal, go with the family style.
  • Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I believe our venue's plated style only gives us one choice of entree, but I'd have to ask the event manager if I can give my guests a choice of entree.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Plus that seems like enough food anyways

• Options
    AnokiAnoki member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love family style, but one issue i have seen with that is the food seems to get cold very fast and the farther you are seated from the main tables, the colder your food gets

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards