Not Engaged Yet

Update - DIY AW: FINISHED! Aisle Runner

It's a project in progress, so I'll update this as needed (hopefully should have it done tomorrow night)!  This is jjust the green; the navy will be done tomorrow.  Directions are in my bio under "I Can Make Stuff."

I loved the custom runner look, but wasn't willing to pay anywhere from $80-200 for someone else to do it when I knew dang good and well I should be able to figure it out and do it for much less.  So far I've invested just a little bit over $40 in this, and that's the total cost (runner, cost to enlarge monogram, brushes I had already, and paint that I can use for this and other projects).

Thoughts?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Married Bio
Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
BabyFruit Ticker
Pregnancy Blog

Re: Update - DIY AW: FINISHED! Aisle Runner

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure how I feel about the flower pattern, but I do absolutely love your monogram. You did a fantastic job painting it on there. Are your names and the date going to be the navy part?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't wait to see it completed!!

Teehee, I already FB stalked this project this morning actually. Sealed

• PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh!! I'm excited to see it done.  I can't wait to see the navy part....I lurrrrrrve your monogram

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looking forward to seeing it complete, I really like your monogram!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_diy-aw-aisle-runner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d656be8-ed14-42f1-8d7d-ea82579fb502Post:e147bc77-f002-4728-9dc6-0e99a17cbcfa">Re: DIY AW: Aisle Runner</a>:
    [QUOTE]Looking forward to seeing it complete, I really like your monogram!
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]
    ditto from me!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • edited December 2011
    I love it!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love it!  BTW I just peeked at your bio and my bridesmaid necklaces are just like yours except with a pink ribbon (and I bought them because I am so not crafty).
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!

Yea, I'm not a huge fan of the flowers either, but I live in a small town, so supplies are somewhat limited and I didn't want to order one.  It'll definitely do, but if I had it to do over, I probably would've sprung for a nicer runner.  This one is the generic Wal-Mart runner, and it's already ripped in two places along the edge when I peeled up the tape on the left side to remove the monogram and put down the wax paper.  :-(

In short, I DO NOT suggest the Wal-Mart runner.  Even if you're not going to paint it.  The quality is just poor.  When people walk on it with heels, it's going to get ripped to shreds.  We're currently trying to formulate a place in the ceremony where the jr. groomsmen gets to roll out the runner so that only the flower girls and my dad and I will walk on it before the ceremony.  ::sigh::
    Married Bio

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and yes Desert, the names and date will be navy.  :-)
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
    edited December 2011
    I think those personal touches are so special and fun! I think it's going to look great with the names and date in navy!

If I weren't a lazy bride, I'd totally DIY a runner very similar to yours, Acro. You know how I feel about navy and lime. And when isn't a monogram fun? But my invitations were enough DIY to last me quite a long time. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Acro- Please keep your bio up FOREVER. After I read how you put instructions for the aisle runner up in fear of the girl deleting hers, I am worried you may delete yours after the big day. Don't do it, I plan on stealing you envelope idea. They are too awesome.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Fabulous! 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it looks great!

I hope all you ladies with your awesome DIY projects keep your bios up so that when the time comes I can use them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My bio is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, though I cannot promise I'll always have time to post on the boards consistently (such is life).  But feel free to bookmark it, as the URL won't be changing.  :-)
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Finished!  :-)

Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Brad and Lindsey kicking butt on August 14th, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    And taking names, Mutley.  ;-)

Brad loves it, which makes me SO happy.  He's been so supportive of all my DIY crafts for this wedding.  <3  I think between this and the invitations he has been officially floored by my unknown talents.
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    And holy moly, I just saw your RSVP tracker.  273 people!  Wowzers.  You will definitely be taking names. 
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It looks great! I'm a little baffled by the whole runner thing. Can you buy them like that? Are they only flowered? Is it paper? I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

But it looks so good, I kinda want to thieve it, incorrect names and all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That looks AMAZING! Great job

want to do one for me next year? lol

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011

LOOKING GOOOOOOD!

imageimageimageimage
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Acro it looks AWESOME!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_diy-aw-aisle-runner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d656be8-ed14-42f1-8d7d-ea82579fb502Post:f7f46bcc-b107-4ebe-8646-2ffa17ac1a06">Re: Update - DIY AW: FINISHED! Aisle Runner</a>:
    [QUOTE]And holy moly, I just saw your RSVP tracker.  273 people!  Wowzers.  You will definitely be taking names. 
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]

We lucked out (and are eternally grateful) that my parents are paying for the majority of our wedding, including the reception.  That said, they wanted us to invite everyone in both our offices, as well as a lot of the family and as many friends as we wanted, which was extremely generous of them.  My boss's daughter is also getting married on Aug. 14, so we're expecting that most people from my office will go to her wedding, and then there were friends that are overseas and OOT that won't be able to make it.  We're expecting the final number to be right around 200.  Still a big wedding, but not 275 at least.

And Hetshup, you can buy them pre-done off Etsy and other sites.  They're pricey.  I spent about $40 or so total on mine, and the least expensive one I found online was double that plus shipping, etc.  As for why I have it at all:  at my church, if you want to use real flower petals for the flower girls (and we do), you have to have a runner down to protect the carpet.  They aren't all flowered, but I happened to get one that was because that's all that was offered in the town where I live and I didn't want to order one of the internet (for whatever reason).  It's not really paper, it's like a really thin fabric, or at least mine is.  You can make them out of anything.  The best one I ever saw was made out of muslin (the bride found it on super discount and so she bought a crapton of it and made her own runner), but most people just buy them from Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    That is definitely awesome of your parents.  (Guest list sizes are such a personal thing.  The idea of so many people freaks me out.  Haha.) 
  • edited December 2011
    It kinda freaks FI and I out as well, but just about everyone on the list we would be upset if they didn't come (minus all the people from our offices...some we're close with, but not all).  My mom is the youngest of 9, and my dad is middle of 3, so about 50-60 of that 273 is my family (aunts, uncles, some cousins I'm closest to), and then there's probably that many as well from our offices.  FI's family is small, but they have a lot of close family friends they wanted there that put their list about about 40.  The rest are friends.  FI and I didn't meet until law school, so we both have separate friends from HS and college, and then our joint friends from law school and the LARP.  It's just a lot of people, but they're all very important to us, so we're just going to grin and bear it and pretend like we don't have 200 people watching our every move.
    Married Bio

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    You won't notice.  Plus as you said, they are all very important to you.  You will be surrounded by those you love and those who love you.  It will be amazing. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_diy-aw-aisle-runner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4d656be8-ed14-42f1-8d7d-ea82579fb502Post:14f741be-849f-4897-a9a0-18a701f08beb">Re: Update - DIY AW: FINISHED! Aisle Runner</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brad and Lindsey kicking butt on August 14th, 2010!
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]

WOOT WOOT!

Holla!
    Anniversary
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Fantastic job. It's so neat! (Neat as in I love the crisp lines of the lettering, but you could also go with neat in the 1950s way.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards