Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Does everyone go on a honeymoon??

My FI and I are going through a time in which I recently lost my job. He's working full time to cover a lot of expenses and wedding things as well (my parents are helping out as well) I will admidt we are having a beautiful wedding as we all invisioned the day to be special, but I don't want my FI to feel pressure that I want to go on a honeymoon. I feel like after all my wedding preparations most couples go on a honeymoon. Is it wrong per se to wait a year or so for our anniverary to go on a trip? also i am concered to ask for time off for a honeymoon if i land a good job.
any advice?
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Does everyone go on a honeymoon??

• Options
    There's no rule book that says you have to go on a honeymoon immediately after your wedding. Go on your honeymoon (or anniversary vaca) when you can afford it. Don't stress yourselves out over it or put yourselves into debt over it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    There's no law saying it's mandatory to go on a honeymoon.  Maybe suggest to him that you do a small weekend getaway shortly after the wedding then go all out on an anniversary trip!

As for the job, no one should not hire you due to your wedding/honeymoon plans.  Especially if they're already booked.  My FI is possibly transferring departments at his office and the HR rep for his company told him not to worry about the wedding and honeymoon dates as that should in no way influence someone from giving a job to the best applicant.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    I know a lot of people who have waited that long to go on a honeymoon.  In my first marriage, I did not go on any honeymoon at all! 

Don't worry about what everybody else does.  Just do what you want the way you want to.  For those with opinions, let them know that it is YOUR honeymoon and that means you get to do it your way!
  • Options
    You definitely don't have to do one. You can just do a weekend. Or you can wait. We're waiting 6 months because of our jobs and I think that's becoming more and more popular for job/money reasons. Just do what you want and what makes your life less stressful!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I feel that if I didn't take my honeymoon immedialtey following the wedding, it wouldn't really be a honeymoon.
  • Options
    Like PPs said there is no guideline saying you have to go on a honeymoon right away, if you want go on a small weekend getaway to like a local B&B right after and then for your first anniversary go on your big trip!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_everyone-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:87852d7e-b541-478c-9aeb-4d66c69c16f9Post:372e7a29-f710-46b5-a6b5-6154c70c5d69">Re: Does everyone go on a honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You definitely don't have to do one. You can just do a weekend. Or you can wait. We're waiting 6 months because of our jobs and I think that's becoming more and more popular for job/money reasons. Just do what you want and what makes your life less stressful!
    Posted by jsquared62009[/QUOTE]

we are too. we are getting married Saturday, but not going until November. We are both in a wedding october 15 and I am in the process of moving to be with FI in another state. FI is a golf pro and this is his busy season, so the honeymoon had to wait (i wanted a spring wedding)

we will also be on our honeymoon over my birthday, and yes the cruise knows this :)
  • Options
    Nope. No rule says you have to. My parents waited 8 months to go on theirs b/c they didn't want to go to Mexico in the heat of the summer. Many couples put them off (or don't go at all) to save money. I think a staycation might be nice right after the wedding or a mini-vacay to somewhere close, just to get away for a couple days. But you could save up for a really nice 1 year anniversary trip and have something to look forward to! It will also be less hectic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    No, not at all... many of our friends didn't have the funds for a HM so they are just planning to do something later on down the road.  It's whatever you all can afford.  You don't want to start your new life together broke bc of a vacation... You can always do something at home to make the few days after your wedding special if nothing else!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do something low-key then, go to a B and B and hike or near the water.  We did, but we only went to Aruba because we paid for the wedding.  This year - our 1st anniversary we are doing 2 weeks in Hawaii.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Ditto pp's there are no rules that you have to take a HM immediatlely after the wedding. My advice though would to be to try and do something local or more low key for at least a few days after the wedding so you have time to get away and be with your new husband instead of just jumping right back into work and every day life. After all the stress and excitement of the wedding it'll be nice to be away for atleast a night or two without worrying about work or every day stressors. Then plan a bigger trip for a few months down the road or a big anniversary trip.

DH and I did a big HM right after our wedding and thought we'd go on a big trip for our anniversary this year, but we bought a house instead. We'll be going on vacation with friends a few months later, but no anniversary trip for us. So, my advice would be to if you're going to put it off, that you a.) try to get away for atleast a few days to a local b&b or somewhere along the coast or the lake if you don't live near the coast just to get away from it all and enjoy your new husband and b.) make sure you plan and save for the bigger trip in the next few months or your anniversary so it doesn't fall by the wayside because life gets in the way far too often.. jobs, purchasing a home, starting a family, etc...
  • Options
    We got married Oct 2010 and shortly after I traveled for work and he tagged along. It was not our romantic honeymoon. Some call the small trips richt after a mini-moon. We are just now working on planning our honeymoon and it looks like it will be slightly over a year from our wedding date since he just started a new job.

As in PPs, you do not have to do one. It would be special to go somewhere within a week or two to just relax after wedding planning. If it is close it can be a romantic place to return to easily in the future for special occassions.
  • Options
    Not necessary.  My sister got married last April and they couldn't afford to go on a HM right away.  They originally planned to save up and do something for their anniversary this year, but instead they have a 4 week old baby :)  so their HM has been put off indefinitely.  It doesn't make them any less married though...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Nope you definitely do not need to go right after your wedding.  My FI and I really wanted to go to Maui for 12 days after our wedding but than life got in the way.  We decided to buy a house instead!  So now we are going on a small (a lot less expensive) vaca right after and then going to go to Maui for our 5th wedding anniversary.  As long as you your future hubby are together, happy and in love, that is all that matters.

• Options
    Ditto pp's that you don't have to do anything if you don't want to, or not immediately after the wedding if it's more convenient for you to wait.  And it's great that you're trying to be sensitive about the potential pressure on your fiance.  Although if you are upfront about it, a planned trip should not affect employment prospects if you're willing to take time off without pay since you likely won't have enough (or any!) vacation time yet.  I ran into this situation when I started my current job, my then-boyfriend-now-fiance and I had booked a trip to Hawaii about the time I started putting feelers out for a job closer to home.  I was expecting it would take several months, until after the trip, before I accepted a new position, but I was surprised!  And surprised that it wasn't a big deal to them that I already had the trip planned.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Do what you can afford. Sometimes its a better idea to wait and do something for your anniversary.

Or you can always do an easy weekend get away to a town nearby.. just so you can relax for a night or two as newly weds... There is nothing saying you HAVE to go on a HM and def nothing that says it has to be something crazy. I know freinds who just went to orlando for the day to hang out at Disney or one of the other parks.

So find something close by if you feel you need a honeymoon and dont worry about the crazy added expense.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not everyone goes on a honeymoon.

My FI and I are both finishing up school and finances are kind of tight.  So we're probably going to wait until either of us have better/more lucrative employment to plan a honeymoon.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_everyone-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:87852d7e-b541-478c-9aeb-4d66c69c16f9Post:d10c4dc5-2ce3-4538-ab53-e17ea822f5fc">Re: Does everyone go on a honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel that if I didn't take my honeymoon immedialtey following the wedding, it wouldn't really be a honeymoon.
    Posted by almost-a-bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I have to differ.  We took our honeymoon a year after our wedding, and it certainly felt like a honeymoon to us.  A honeymoon doesn't have to be defined by a specific date.  The state of mind you share with your H during that trip is what can make it a honeymoon.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, take your trip when it's financially available to you and your FH.  If you want it to be your honeymoon, then it is  :)</div><div>
    </div><div>GL!

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards