Attire & Accessories Forum

Keeping the wrap up on the MOTB?

My mom bought a gorgeous dress last week and it came with a chiffon wrap/shawl.  It kept slipping down on her shoulders and we especially want it to stay on her shoulders as she and my dad are walking me down the aisle.
There's a tiny loop in the middle of the shawl and we seriously considered looping it around a necklace (lol).
Does that thing have a real function other than keeping the shawl on a hanger?
Is there an official, better way to keep a shawl on top of one's shoulders when your hands are full?

Re: Keeping the wrap up on the MOTB?

• divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Hook and eye is a good idea. Are you opposed to a broach or something that would hold it together in the front so it stayed together? Especially if she's going to be holding your arm, that might work. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_keeping-the-wrap-up-on-the-motb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c8d5c51f-25da-4eaf-a197-7c0711224404Post:f3719c72-9244-43ba-821e-613020ad2c92">Re: Keeping the wrap up on the MOTB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hook and eye is a good idea. <strong>Are you opposed to a broach or something that would hold it together in the front so it stayed together?</strong> Especially if she's going to be holding your arm, that might work. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great idea!

• For my DD's wedding a few years ago, my dress came with a chiffon wrap like that, and I wore it wrapped around my shoulders like a shrug, and fastened in back with a brooch.  It worked really well.   Does that make sense?  We thought it worked pretty well.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you don't have a brooch, or don't care to put pin holes in the fabric, or fuss with any sewing.......

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-dress-tape.htm
  • All wonderful ideas, ladies! Thank you so much!!
    I think she would like the hook-eye idea, but I might suggest the tape first!
    I don't think she would want the shawl to cover the front of the dress- its got some really lovely detail.
  • Does your mom want to keep the shawl up?  I would never propose an alteration to my mom's outfit unless she wanted it.  Just throwing that out there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_keeping-the-wrap-up-on-the-motb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c8d5c51f-25da-4eaf-a197-7c0711224404Post:eb715a38-b38e-4951-87e5-71b0ae0226e0">Re: Keeping the wrap up on the MOTB?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does your mom want to keep the shawl up?  I would never propose an alteration to my mom's outfit unless she wanted it.  Just throwing that out there.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

It is her dress, so I wouldn't be asking here if she didn't want it that way.
    My only concern is that she is comfortable during the ceremony and as we're walking down the aisle, not worried about the shawl being somewhere other than where she wants it to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards