Moms and Maids
Options

Add another color?

Our wedding is less than two months away. I only have 2 bridesmaids. My sister (MOH) and FI's sister. FSIL is having some money issues, so we offered to pay for her dress. The problem? FI's hours just got cut drastically. He was getting 72 hours a week, now he only gets 40. So, we're struggling. Luckily, my parents are paying for the wedding, but there's no way we can afford a dress for more than $20. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal with all the pre-prom sales. Our colors are dark navy blue and light gray. We haven't found a single dress cheaper than $50. My mom is paying for my sister's dress. The one she likes is $70.

I thought about throwing in an accent color. Possibly a yellow. It would give us more color options for her dress. Or, should we just have her in a black dress? I had found a dress for $15 when I asked her to be a bridesmaid. It was so low-cut that she was basically giving a free show. I still don't understand that. I tried it on and I'm a full cup size larger and mine were fine in it. (I tried it on because she couldn't come and we're similarly shaped.)

She's been ducking out of a lot of the wedding stuff. (A bridal show, BM dress shopping, etc) At first, she was super excited for it, but, now, it seems like she would rather be a guest. She only asks about non-bridesmaid things. I would like her to be up there with me, but I don't want her to feel like she would upset me if she bowed out. Her husband is a groomsman, and he just zones out when FI tries to talk to him about attire. I think they both want to be just guests, but if I'm misreading it, I could cause a rift between us. I really care about them, and I don't want to cause them any unneeded stress. Any idea how I should handle this? Should I just keep planning or just sit down and talk to them? They recently moved unexpectedly (bad terms) and they're staying in an extended stay. Should I just tell her that I understand if they've got too much going on?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Add another color?

• Options
    Does she not own a navy blue or silver dress?  Could the 'accent color' dress be one she already owns?  Have you checked thrift stores?  If there's a good sewer in her family she could event tailor something that looks kind of dated to something cute.

About the "not doing bridesmaid things" with you - all she needs to do is show up in the dress.  She doesn't need to go to bridal shows with you or do other wedding-related things, some people just are not that into weddings.  Have you told her about your FI's situation to see if she'd be willing to split the cost of a dress?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You asked her to be a bridesmaid, and you offered to pay for her dress. She now has 0 wedding expenses, except travel and a tiny gift. Personally, in her position, I'd be more excited about this day when I get to dress up (for free) and go to a big party (free again). But if you think she might not want the attention and possible stress, you can give her an out with, "I really do want you to be my bridesmaid, and we're still willing to buy your dress, but if the attention is getting to you, let us know how we can make you most comfortable."

You can't un-offer to buy the dress. Find a dress for $20, or cut something else out. Eat rice and beans for a week. How much time do you have? $50 is really not that much to gather together.
  • Options

Have you tried a summer dress? Many summer dresses are made out of a cheaper material and you can dress it up or down with accessories/a shurg, etc.

Boscov's and the Deb Shop has cute summer dresses for $20. They have basic colors or ones with patterns. If you find a navy or gray dress, use accessories to jazz it up.

Although like PP said, she can't come up with $20 to add to the dress? If you both put $20s together you can get a $40 dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards