Massachusetts-Boston

Boston ceremony + Andover reception...crazy?

Hi all,In early stages of planning my wedding to take place in June or July 2013. Parents are footing the bill and I need to stay around 40-45k which includes everything (dress, reception, flowers, photog, invitations, yadda yadda yadda). Parents live in North Andover and suggest Andover Country Club; however I have lived in the city for the past 7 years and really invisioned a city wedding. City wedding would be tight and would have to keep guests to around 130 with very little bells and whistles, whereas Andover CC would be an easy 150 guest with all bells and whistles. I am trying to think of a compromise whereby I could have my city pics and the bells and whistles reception in Andover. I guess some sort of shuttle situation would have to happen for guests staying in Andover. Is this crazy? What are your thoughts? Could it work? Would appreciate your views!

Re: Boston ceremony + Andover reception...crazy?

• I've traveled pretty far between ceremony and reception sites before.

Another thought would be to do a day after session- we did one on the coast as we wanted some pretty pictures near the water but couldn't find a ceremony location available.
  • I'm actually getting married in Somerville (close to the city) and having my reception at the Andover Country Club. I think you could make it work. Also things like engagement pics, bridal shower etc can be in Boston. However, you can find places in the city within your price range. Just need to dig around.
  • Are they set to have Andover country club or did they just suggest it?  There are so many nice places in that area esp if your budget is 40-45.  You could always just have the rehearsal dinner at the Andover country club.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks very much for your replies!

No, I don't think they are set on Andover Country Club. I think it is just the most obvious choice for their location. What other venues were you thinking of? Not that I think Andover CC would not be nice - it is just not what I originally envisioned. Truthfully, I haven't even seen the interior yet. I tend to like more modern, less conventional interiors but I suppose even when you are dealing with hotels in Boston, many of those ballrooms are going to look pretty conventional, oldy, and the same (heinous carpets etc.). 

My ideal venue (in terms of looks) would probably be the Fogg Museum at Harvard. I attended a wedding there several years ago - it has an interior glass enclosed courtyard with arches that looks like something you would find in Italy. I took a quick look online and it has been closed and under renovation since 2008. It isn't scheduled to be finished until late 2013 so it is not an option, unfortunately.

I am going to see the Westin Copley Place on Friday - that might work at about 120 to 130 guests. Other places (such as Intercontinental) within that range would be too expensive from what I have seen. But there are plenty of places I have not looked at yet. I feel like venues where you have to bring in catering (Museum of Science etc.) would be too expensive and too complicated with all the moving parts. I could be wrong...but I will be in medical school starting in August so I am not going to have a ton of time to devote to wedding stuff.

So at this point I am open to different options and suggestions regarding Boston and north shore reception venue options. While I do appreciate the suggestions to consider doing pictures in Boston the day before or after, I think I would prefer doing it conventionally (i.e. between the ceremony and reception).

Thanks so much everyone!
  • Pay for whatever difference you ideal wedding would cost. Problem solved.
  • Meaghan - unfortunately that isn't an option. I'm about to go to med school and my FI is a phd student. I am willing to stay within the budget either way. I don't think I really have a "dream wedding" per se.
  • You should check out the Langham Hotel.  Very pretty and historic, and very Boston.  I remember their prices being very reasonable - and the coordinator was awesome.  The Seaport Hotel also was also more reasonable than some of the other downtown locations.
  • anything more than a 30 mins drive between ceremony and reception is considered rude.  It also usually makes for hungry guests...because they will be at your ceremony, then have to drive, and then have to be at the cocktail reception while you get your pictures, then sit through dances and speeches before dinner.

As far as different venues....perhaps the DeCordova in Lincoln would work for you.
  • You might take a look at the Marriott Copley Place as well!  I've seen some lovely events there and they tend to be fairy reasonable for downtown Boston.   I'd also give high marks to the Boston Public Library Court Yard, but don't know anything about price.  :)
  • BPL is crazy expensive. According one of the other girls on the board they've jacked up their prices to mucho $$$$$.
  • I just read that!!   I can't believe the quote was almost $100K.  That's insane.
  • Yowzah! Safe to say, no BPL for me. ;-)

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.
  • Hi everyone - just to update...

Sooo starting seeing Boston venues with the folks last week. Much to my surprise, they have totally come around to having the entire wedding in Boston. They love the venues we've seen with windows (and awesome views) and they seem fine with prices. Turns out my budget was is a little more than I thought! :-)

Thanks for all of your suggestions and good luck with your planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards