Attire & Accessories Forum

Black wedding dress...?

Has anyone ever heard or seen a bride wear a black wedding dress? The picture below is the one that I got for my wedding. It's on the beach. it's going to be very casual and "un-traditional" what do you girls think?

The one on the left..

Re: Black wedding dress...?

• I've heard of it--Sarah Jessica Parker wore a black gown, but I've seen it on celebs and regular brides alike.

Your dress looks elegant, my only worry is that it could get hot in the sun!
  • I like your dress! I do agree with opal that you might get hot under the sun.

You might get weird looks shot your way, but if that's what you want to wear then rock it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_black-wedding-dress-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:399be633-e7d8-4f84-a314-b786f029b612Post:2d18193a-8fe5-4b5d-b473-80e2cb62987b">Re: Black wedding dress...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard of it--Sarah Jessica Parker wore a black gown, but I've seen it on celebs and regular brides alike. Your dress looks elegant, my only worry is that it could get hot in the sun!
    Posted by opalsky007[/QUOTE]

SJP has also said that she regrets wearing it now.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • If you want it, go for it - if you're not overly concerned with wedding tradition in general, why stick with a white dress?
  • sure, cute dress and why not, wear what ya love!
  • edited August 2010
    Wear what you want.

http://offbeatbride.com/2008/05/black-wedding-dress

White it's a fairly recent tradition.

• Go for it. Brides in certain parts of Spain still wear black as the customary wedding dress color, and here in the US there was a time when black would have been far more common than white. I think it's a gorgeous dress, and if you love it, go with it.
  • Knittibell beat me to it! I was going to say it's a common wedding dress color in Spain.  My FI is a US and Spanish citizen, so when we were trying to come up with customs from Spanish weddings we found the black dress thing...I'm not going to do it, but it is an option!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It doesn't say "beach wedding" to me at all.  But if it's what you want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am not a fan but you should wear what you want and what makes you happy.  Just a little weird for me.
  • It's a pretty dress, but doesn't seem especially beachy to me.

Is there any particular reason you chose black?
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • I love it!  My dress is also black.  I'm all for avoiding cookie-cutter style weddings.  This is the day you and your spouse are supposed to remember fondly as a reflection of yourselves, not the day that you spent doing a bunch of silly things for traditions sake, that weren't important to YOU (though clearly they are important to others and that's ok).

Don't let others sway you from what makes you happy.  If they don't "get it" or don't like it, too bad for them, I say.  I've spent more than enough time at weddings that I thought were over-the top, silly, or weird.  Now it's your turn to host what makes you happy!!!

Do it! Do it! Do it!
  • I wanted a black wedding dress.  Specifically, I wanted the Maggie Sottero Victoriana, which comes in black.  Nowhere around here carried it though.  I'm not getting married in white either though... my dress is pewter.
  • My future daughter-in-law will be wearing a black lace gown. I think she looks so beautiful in it that I paid for it. She and my son are having a very non-traditional but very "them" wedding. This will be her second wedding and, unfortunately, she found out the hard way that having the "perfect" traditional wedding didn't make for a perfect marriage. As for anyone making negative comments about your choice of gown color just remember the old adage "Those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter."
  • My best friend wore a black wedding dress when she got married. It suited her and she looked beautiful in it. It's your and your FI's day. Wear what you want and who really cares about what others say?
  • Wear it if it's what you want! 
    image Final Count: 80 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards