Moms and Maids
Options

What should my Grandmother Wear?

My grandmother raised me from birth and my mom passed when I was 11, she is definitely more like a MOM to me than a Grandmother. She is also hosting my big day! She thinks she should match the bridal party (chocolate brown, ivory, gold).. I'm not quite sure that's how it works. Should see stay away from the BP colors all together?

Re: What should my Grandmother Wear?

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whatever she looks and feels comfortable in. There is no rule for her or other mothers to match or not match the WP. 
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, she can wear whatever she wants! 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    palrmtpalrmt member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother is wearing pink, my least favorite color.  However she is a grown adult and can certainly dress herself.  We went shopping and she really fell in love with it so there is no way in a million years I would tell her I don't like the color.  As long as she feels comfortable I am happy. 

I don't think its a big deal whether she matches the WP or not.  Nobody will notice a detail like that but you so I wouldn't sweat it. 
  • Options
    MisheyldMisheyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So when my Mom, FMIL & Grandma started shopping for dresses, they had a really hard time, they wanted to make sure they picked something I liked, they were worried that their dresses were too much (as in sparkle).  We are having a very formal wedding and I finally told them "Dress like it's your big party, this is your chance to wear a beautiful gown and go all out, just don't wear white."  It worked beautifully, they all love their dresses and are stunning. 

FMIL in Blue

Mom's dress in color shown

I know it's crazy, but I can't wait to see them all dressed up in their gowns!!  I can't find a picture of my Grandma's but's it stunning too. :) 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My grandmas wore whatever they wanted but my step mom and MIL did not were colors that matched my wedding colors. Step mom wore a deep purple and MIL wore dark blue. If the dress is inthe wedding colors and you are ok with it  and it does not look look like your bridesmaid dresses and you are ok with it go for it.  Maybe you can go dress shopping with her and see what you both like and what looks best. I think the only way to know what you want or like is to go to the stores and see 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother is a DIVA, so I am sure that shopping for her may be more than a notion. She arrives on Wednesday and will be here through the end of October.  

Her style is more Albert Nipon style dinner suit, but I am prepared for her to surprise me on her wedding day outfit selection. I think she can wear whatever she wants in the color of her choice.     
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_should-grandmother-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:7c04afe4-4a16-4ba3-af87-258794a680e6Post:c19d0435-fe06-482b-8862-3215840de70a">Re: What should my Grandmother Wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whatever she looks and feels comfortable in. There is no rule for her or other mothers to match or not match the WP. 
    Posted by AutumnFair[/QUOTE]

This...
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my mom and MIL wore short dresses in the same color as the WP (who wore long red dresses) and it was nice!
  • Options
    seniah_05seniah_05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no need for her to shy away from BP colors - especially if that color scheme suits her.  I've seen it where the moms/g-mas compliment or match or are totally different from the wedding colors.  My personal preference is a match or complimentary because I think that looks cool in pictures.  But it all works.  A well put together ensemble that fits and makes the wearer look and feel good is best!
    TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards